Oct 20, 2019, 05:52 PM

Tori ready

Ok, my Tori is finished, balanced and ready for flight. It came out to 844 grams AUP (822-879g is specs), ready to fly with battery and I had to add a little weight to the left wing tip to balance it out laterally. It is slightly tail heavy at 2 3/4" on the GP balance machine, but within specs (2-3") so it should fly great.

One thing I noticed is that the color scheme is the same as my Tower Hobbies Sport 60" wingspan ARF (basically made by Great Planes). They must have came out at the same time and I also guess that the Tori is no longer made and when the supply is gone it will be too, forever (as Great Planes is gone forever now).

Anyway, the battery and ESC were a bit fiddly to get into the fuse, but everything barely fit and seems to work as designed, per the manual.

I did use a 40amp esc that I had lying around and also some 9g servos that I had a bunch of, but used the recommended Rimfire 10 motor, Turnigy 2s, 2200, 30 c battery.
Last edited by nhk750; Oct 20, 2019 at 05:59 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 31, 2019, 08:42 AM
FlyLikeAnEagle-LandLikeADove
This sailplane has raised wingtips with ailerons. Does it also have dihedral in the center as I see a dihedral brace is mentioned? Most sailplanes with ailerons have flat wings and most RES sailplanes have polyhedral. Why does the Tori have both. Are there any advantages or disadvantages?
Oct 31, 2019, 09:28 AM
It has a little dihedral, but not to much, in the center. This should help the plane self right and be more forgiving and stable. I think it may help soaring also, but I am new to sailplanes and haven't even maidened this yet. I have seen videos of people doing aerobatics with it, but I have high performance aerobatic planes so this one will be for lazy soaring days.
Oct 31, 2019, 09:52 AM
Time for me to Fly...
The Tori is pretty much a very stable sailplane. Think of it as a light weight, souped up Radian and you’ll have a good idea of how it flies. In comparison, my other 2m is a Q12x. The Tori is a much more stable plane.
Latest blog entry: Something old is new again
Oct 31, 2019, 02:23 PM
I am am old guy pretty much new to sailplanes. I was looking a possibly building a 2m Yellowjacket RES but happened to see the Tori which looks like it is quite a bit heavier but also quite a bit less expensive when everything is taken into account. I kind of like the fact that it has ailerons just because I am used to them. I'd like to hear a comparison and or suggestion from someone with some experience. Thanks.
Oct 31, 2019, 02:57 PM
I have built a Yellow Jacket and have two modified Tori’s. Built properly and flown with a 3s450 LiPo the Yellow Jacket is about 18 ounces. A modified Tori with the light motor and the same 450 3s battery will weight about 22 ounces . The ones we built with flaps weigh 23 ounces. At 23 ounces they are a competitive 2 meter glider that will handle a pretty windy day. The 18 ounce Yellow Jacket is best on light wind days. My preference normally is for the Tori because I like the flaps much better than spoilers for precision landings necessary for ALES but they are not necessary for sport flying.
Last edited by LARMARK; Oct 31, 2019 at 03:22 PM.
Oct 31, 2019, 03:08 PM
Electric
The Yellowjacket might be a better performer in the long run of you have the time and desire to build a full kit. The Tori ARF can loose a lot of weight if you replace the covering, don't use the heavy stock spinner/prop, and choose lighter running gear..... to get her down to a respectable 21oz @6oz wing loading. And has ailerons.

But by then you will have built the Yellowjacket with the same equipment, build in some ailerons and buy covering to come in at 18oz at @4.8oz/ft loading.

The Yellowjacket will win out on dead air days but they both have motors.... And any thermal activity will keep them both up longer than you can stand.

The Yellowjacket looks very nice and sophisticated and surely rewards the builder who puts in the time.

The Tori is mass produced for the general everyday wear and tear and whatever odds and ends equipment you have in your leftover hobby junk drawer lol.
Oct 31, 2019, 03:29 PM
Thanks. I do like to build. I can't find any decent kits with ailerons, which I am just so used to as a sport plane pilot.

The expensive Euro full house jobs have ailerons and flat wings of course. It was interesting to see that the Tori has a bit of polyhedral and also ailerons. Along with your suggestion that I could add ailerons to the Yellowjacket does make me lean toward it. I don't need a competition sailplane. Plus, if I break it I can fix it.
Nov 01, 2019, 08:52 AM
I am retired and most RC experience is with sport and aerobatic powered models but wanted a sailplane to learn to catch a thermal and am making progress on that with the Tori ( receiver ready version from Tower). It climbs really strong with a 3S lipo. I also like aileron control. If I would do another I think I would add flaps because if floats a lot on landing even with spoilerons. Overall quite satisfied and enjoy flying it.
Nov 01, 2019, 09:50 AM
I dont think I would like a plane without ailerons as I like precision control. One thing to think about also is once the supply of Tori planes is gone there wont be anymore. The “Receiver ready” version is already unavailable.
Nov 01, 2019, 10:30 AM
Well, I do like planes with ailerons. Mr Wiz, you seem to have a bit of experience and have flown the Tori plus your Qx12s. Do you think the Tori would be better for a fairly experienced pilot, but soaring newbee than a straight wing aileron ship? Do you think I would be better off going to a RES like the Yellowjacket even though I am kind of rudder elevator aileron pilot. I fly in a rural Club field with a grass runway surrounded by overgrown fields and then woods. I do need to land on the 600 foot runway even in a good crosswind.

Sad to see GP shutting down. Pretty much all Horizon sells are foamies now.
Nov 01, 2019, 12:31 PM
Time for me to Fly...
I dislike RES planes. I just prefer to have control of the roll axis. That said, I think the Tori is flown best with as little aileron input as possible. Why? Because whenever you use the ailerons to turn you're disturbing the airfoil and with that wing, it turns very well with the rudder only.

My Tori is modified a bit. I didnt buy the RxR version. I bought the ARF. Mine was built with a lighter motor (Hacker A20-20L Evo) and I also didnt use the stock spinner and prop. With that motor and a Tatu 3S 650, lipo I use the Aeronaut Cam 11x7 prop. Without the stock motor/battery/prop, the plane can build out tail heavy and so I lightened up the tail feathers and I recovered them and the wing too. I used pull string/spring on the tail feathers too. In the end, I had to slide my batttery all the way back because I removed so much tail weight. In my opinion, it flies best with the CG rearward of the recommended range...at about 3-1/4" back from the LE of the wing at the root.

I also kept it a 2 piece wing. All I did was laminate the dihederal brace per the instructions and I slide it into the pocket without any epoxy. It's plenty strong and the plane is easier to transport. Mine turned out at 21 oz and it floats pretty well. The spoilers (up aileron throw) help bring it down for landing but it's really a piece of cake to land.

I think it's a great first sailplane for someone that has already learned to fly. If you were a brand new pilot, I'd recommend a Radian but based on what you've told me, I think you'll like the Tori.... even if you build it box stock.

BTW. That same power system I mentioned above is what I use in the Q12x and every 2m sailplane I've ever built. It has a lot of power but isn't pushing anything too hard. I've heard that the A20-20L motor is getting hard to find in stock. Just pick a similar size and KV outrunner from someplace else. I think Hobby King has a GliderDrive motor that's nearly identical.
Last edited by Mr. Wiz; Nov 01, 2019 at 12:44 PM.
Nov 01, 2019, 04:11 PM
Thanks Mr. Wiz

I also prefer ailerons so I put this on my B-day list. It is pretty inexpensive. I don't think I want to recover the entire plane, but it sounds like it probably makes sense to lighten up the tail as you and others have done so I may do that. I have a nice Sunnysky 2216 1250 kV motor pretty much the same as the 70 g Rimfire, and also a 58 g older Scorpion that is not as powerful as the those or your Hacker. I guess it will depend on how things balance . Thanks for the info on balancing at 3.25. Also, on using the rudder to turn. I like the idea of spoilerons too.

Quick Reply