Great Planes Tori 2M EP Glider Rx-R

The new Tori from Great Planes requires only a 4+ channel radio, receiver, and a 2s or 3s LiPo to start catching thermals.

Great Planes Tori 2M EP Glider Rx-R

A Fantastic Looking 2M Glider under $230

The new Great Planes Tori is a 2M (78.5") wingspan electric glider designed for relaxing thermalling and general sailplane flying. It's outfitted with a carbon fiber boom and fiberglass fuselage, and features a balsa built-up wing and tail surfaces. Included is a Rimfire .10 motor, a Great Planes 40A ESC, and four Tactic TSX5 micro high-speed servos.

CLICK HERE for more info on the Great Planes Tori glider.

Features:

• Long, soaring, thermal-riding flights
  • Installed Rimfire .10 brushless outrunner motor and folding prop for effortless climbs and low drag gliding
  • Installed micro servos and linkages to get you in the air sooner
  • High visibility, vivid trim scheme
  • Folding propeller assembly with 12x6.5 prop and machined aluminum spinner
  • Hardware package
  • Instruction manual and full decal sheet
  • Factory installed control linkages for rudder, elevator, and ailerons
  • Installed 40A ESC

Tori EP Sailplane: Raw Performance (1 min 52 sec)

Apr 16, 2018, 01:07 PM
I'd rather be Flying
What can you tell us about the airfoil?
Apr 16, 2018, 10:18 PM
The Lone Sloper
This looks like the Fling II redone as an electric.
Don't know the airfoil .
Apr 16, 2018, 11:16 PM
I'd rather be Flying
I went through the manual. No information on the airfoil, but I snipped a couple of pics from the manual. It looks pretty thin with a raised entry. The video on the Tower site isn't very helpful. Why do they have a video of a thermal plane flying around under power (mostly) and doing aerobatics? It does show a pretty fair climb rate though. The plane is attractive and the price for a Rx-R 2 meter electric glider is really good. I'm pretty sure I'm going to take a "fling" and pick up one of these.
Apr 17, 2018, 12:44 AM
Just say no to quadcopters
Lets hope the fuselage boom is stronger than a Fling
Apr 17, 2018, 08:12 AM
I'd rather be Flying
Well since it's an electric thermal glider, the boom won't be exposed to the stresses of a high start launch. I figure fly a plane within it's design parameters and you should be OK. Just avoid hard landings.
Apr 17, 2018, 08:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by davecee
Why do they have a video of a thermal plane flying around under power (mostly) and doing aerobatics?
As a video producer, I can assure you that shooting a speck of color thermalling against a blue or white background doesnt work well, in terms of focusing and picture quality, even at full zoom. It's common practice for most rc glider promo videos to show it down low in flight so they can fill the screen with the aircraft.
Apr 17, 2018, 11:08 AM
I'd rather be Flying
Well you're speaking as a video producer and I appreciate that. I still would like to see a video that highlights the type of flying the plane is designed to do.
Eg, in this case I'd like to see:
A shot of a maximum climb out to about 200 meters.
A shot of the plane showing it's handling characteristics gliding in minimum sink mode.
A shot of the plane showing it's handling characteristics gliding at maximum glide ratio.
A shot of the plane coring a thermal
A shot of the plane landing with spoilerons engaged
The only shots that require the plane to be at a distance would be the climb and probably the thermal, although a good sailplane pilot can catch a thermal surprisingly low.
A good voice over explaining what's being shown would also be of help.
Not meant as criticism, but just saying what I'd like to see on a video of an electric thermal glider.
Dave
Apr 19, 2018, 07:17 AM
This looks a great! I love my simple Eflite Radian for those summer days but this looks a great, less floppy alternative.

Now, how does one get one of these in the UK?
Apr 19, 2018, 02:42 PM
I have been keeping a very close eye on this one.
My old fav the Eflite Ascent is impossible to find now days and I am looking for something to replace it in my hanger.
Wish they would send the Mr. Gunn one early so he could really check it out and give us the scoop! I trust my Ohio reviewer the most! LOL
Apr 19, 2018, 03:59 PM
This looks like a very fair price
Apr 20, 2018, 01:26 PM
I'd rather be Flying
Even if the quality is only average, the price is a steal.
May 19, 2018, 04:19 PM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
If someone has one, let us know if it can make the 200 meter in 30 second ALES target. Not that this would be a serious contest plane but that is my standard for e-gliders. Never know when the club will have an ALES and I want to be able to fly any of my e-gliders in it.

My ALES unit lives in my Radian and another in my eSupra.

A quick modeling in eCalc suggests a climb rate of 1468 fpm which means it should be able to make 200 meters/650 feet in 30 seconds or less, but would like to see someone try it.
Last edited by aeajr; May 19, 2018 at 04:27 PM.
Jun 01, 2018, 09:59 AM
See Tower is now listing it not available until mid Aug. Flying season will be over by the time it will be available.
Jun 01, 2018, 10:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimm1962
See Tower is now listing it not available until mid Aug. Flying season will be over by the time it will be available.
The Vista Grande wend from Mid-May to late September. I know there was an acquisition and all, but they really need to get their $^%# together.

Quick Reply