Apr 16, 2018, 01:47 AM
352nd FG Association
Thread OP
Discussion

Official SMRCF Timber paint scheme?

A short while back, Jesse Dukes asked me to paint his "raffle prize" Timber to look like mine. After suggesting a different color (to avoid in flight confusion), the results are as pictured below. The paint scheme is basically "borrowed" from a US Forestry Department plane (in the picture of the actual plane), slightly modified.

We joked about an idea that we now would like to put out for the club to vote on. Should we have this be our official SMRCF paint scheme? At least for the E-Flite Timber 1.5m. The rules would be simple:

1. Choose your color.
2. Choose a name from the list (logo will correspond with name).
3. Choose your N# (either in all black, or white with black outline (depending on color of scheme).
4. We would prefer all planes to have the black pin striping, but would consider red, white, silver (whatever the auto parts store offers).

Total cost for materials and labor is $75. Decals are ordered from Callie Graphics. I will handle all of that as well once you choose your name and N#.

I have all the measurements and fonts set, and the templates for the curvature of the lines.

What do you think?

My plane is orange (my mom's favorite color), with the name "The Hummingbird" and has an N# to reflect my mother's birthday 4/9/44 CR for Charline Rinehart.

Jesse's plane is bright yellow, with the name "The Dragonfly" and an N# reflecting his birthday 3/18/51.

Another scheme for consideration would be my brother's green Timber. It's his own design based on our High School colors, and the finished version has the school mascot (Minuteman Head), and the N# is his graduation year and initials, N83KR.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 16, 2018, 02:58 AM
352nd FG Association
Thread OP

List of names and logos

Here's the names Jesse came up with and the logos I found that follow the design idea:

(based on birds and flying insects)
"BIRDS"

The Hawk
The Duck
The Blue Jay (logo will be one, not the four)
The Goose
The Swan
The Pelican
The Cardinal
The Oriole
The Flamingo
The Falcon
The Condor
The Bald Eagle
The Dove
The Vulture

"FLYING INSECTS"

The Butterfly
The Mantis
The Grasshopper
The Hornet
The Bumble Bee
The Honey Bee
The Tiger Moth
The Lady Bug
The Mosquito
The Firefly
The Wasp
The Yellow Jacket
The Lightning Bug

If you have another suggestion, go for it!!
Last edited by Moonbeam; May 10, 2018 at 01:21 AM.
Apr 17, 2018, 01:06 AM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
my vote would be for the Yella Jacket...

I came up with this Ramblin Wreck scheme a few years ago for my MXS; Callie printed them and should still have some of the images if you want to use them.
Apr 17, 2018, 03:06 AM
352nd FG Association
Thread OP
Cool Vapor.

Well, the "vote" thing was for if we should make the paint scheme the "Official SMRCF Timber" scheme. We weren't really voting for a name or logo or color. As far as name, color, N# and logo, it's up to the person having the paint scheme put on their plane.

Actually, it's not even really a vote. Just an idea Jesse and I had that it'd be cool if all the big Timbers at SMRCF had the same style paint scheme. And I'm offering to do it for anyone who wants that trim scheme.
May 07, 2018, 08:14 PM
AMA 424553
I will go with (The Hawk) to stay with the thyme, Garnet on the color. N424553RR . R
Last edited by RRHandy; May 07, 2018 at 08:20 PM.
May 07, 2018, 10:04 PM
352nd FG Association
Thread OP
Well, before you do, I found a few things you might like for the "Rough Rider" name you mentioned, and the flaming skull.

Also, is that N# your AMA#? It's almost too long for an N#. I actually messed up on mine. Most N#'s are are either N(with 5 numbers), N(with 4 numbers and 1 letter), or N(with a shorter combo of either just numbers or both). Mine should be N4946C with no R at the end. So maybe your birth date or something like that?

Anyway, the pictures below are what I have for the flaming skull. And which of these reds is closest to what you want? These three came up when I Googled "garnet red".
May 07, 2018, 10:20 PM
352nd FG Association
Thread OP
BTW Randy, I went ahead and put the slats on both my Timbers.
May 08, 2018, 10:14 AM
AMA 424553
Derick,

I had the paint mixed (Royal Garnet) for painting and touch-up this morning and the plane should be here Thursday.

I will go with N10131, a combo of other BD , as for the naming and logo I can go with rough rider or the hawk. I attached you this pic or you can go with top Lt second in. Surprise me

Ron...
Last edited by RRHandy; May 08, 2018 at 10:19 AM. Reason: content
May 10, 2018, 01:24 AM
352nd FG Association
Thread OP

Ken Bug

Hey Ken,
I found one, "The Lightning Bug" (see above). Haven't found good enough art for "The June Bug". There's also a Florida favorite.... "The Love Bug".

I don't think "The Stink Bug" is quite what you're looking for..... but hey, it's an option!
May 10, 2018, 04:12 PM
SMRCF
I am gonna have to think about those (sorry, but the graphics for Lightning Bugg, and Lady Bugg are too lame.) I gotta find something different.
May 17, 2018, 05:12 AM
AMA 424553
Hows the painting going? R.
May 22, 2018, 12:54 AM
352nd FG Association
Thread OP
So far so good Ron! It's getting there, but taking a while because it's a thinner paint. Should be done soon, looking at possibly the 24th.

Ken, my brother came up with another one for you. "The Mud Bugg" . As it turns out, a mud bug is actually a freshwater crayfish. So I was thinking a brown color with this art work?
May 22, 2018, 12:58 AM
352nd FG Association
Thread OP
And another for you Ken. Since you like UGA.

"The Dawg", red on white and the N# on the sides of the fuse and top of left wing, bottom of right wing (like all the others), BUT, the "G" on the top right and bottom left.
May 22, 2018, 01:03 AM
352nd FG Association
Thread OP
Lightning bug art. OK, a couple of these are more cartoon-ish, but I think they're cool.
May 22, 2018, 09:00 PM
SMRCF
You mean something like this?

Quick Reply