May 02, 2018, 04:05 PM
If you can't get the power from 3S try a small 4S and a smaller prop like the 13x7. It will keep your ESC happier.
to remove ads between posts
May 02, 2018, 09:31 PM
Toby
That setup should work. Checks the watts to be sure. Running a 16x10 on 1000mha 3s on my 705 with the castle lite 50.
Running a 14x8 on my 1102 w/50 amp castle lite in my lighter Shadow 2 for ALES .
No problems.
Cary
May 02, 2018, 10:30 PM
E sailplane thermal hack
Also depends on WHICH 1102 you have ( there's 2-3different versions) try the 16x8 first.
May 03, 2018, 12:40 PM
In F3J size does matter!
Thread OP
Been playing around with the 3 D printer. Tail plugs to protect the rudder pushrod during transport and automating aileron plugs
May 03, 2018, 12:57 PM
Sweet! Share those files Roy?
May 03, 2018, 01:08 PM
Are the aileron plug ins a taper fit or glued
May 03, 2018, 01:36 PM
In F3J size does matter!
Thread OP
The base is glued and has a stopper at the back so the plugs can’t slip into the wing, the connectors have a small dab of CA so they don’t pull out but can be removed with an exacto knife in a matter of a few seconds to allow servo replacement.

I will make some small last improvements and release the files.

Also made some servo trays for the wing and fuselage and a ballast tray. These will be available as laser cut plywood parts but I will post these files as well
May 03, 2018, 03:16 PM
Fiddy Killa Voltz
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingGorilla83
Build complete!! FYI don't ever try and finish a plane in one night after a 8hr day @ work... not advised, my brain is mush right now.
Isn't that its default state?

I want one.

-Matt
May 05, 2018, 11:28 AM
In F3J size does matter!
Thread OP
My first competition with the Ultima 2 went great!
I won 1st place with only three practice sessions on the model before the competition. I flew the long tips exclusively as they were the ones I had gotten set up and tried the most and felt most comfortable with them for the conditions.

Second and third place flew Ultima 1's so a perfect podium for the Ultima team.

It was just a small local competition but was also one of our 4 team selects competition (best 3 out of 4) so was important for me to do well.
Weather was windy (5-7 m/s) with overcast sky's, thermals were strong but a high tree line upwind made it extremely difficult to take thermals from low altitudes, if you launched below 60 meters you probably were looking at a 2 minute flight... Most launches were 100+ meters with just a few shy of 80.
I decided to play it safe and also put in some ballast as the thermals were strong, I flew with 360 grams the entire competition (1620 gr AUW) even though I felt I could take out at least half, The Ultima 2 carries ballast so well, I didn't want to find myself too light when there wasn't such a thing as too heavy.
I ended up just 8 points shy of a full score with a discard of 966 points. I actually ended up as the only pilot to make all his times

After the competition (10 minutes after the last round actually...) the wind shifted by 45 degrees, the clouds cleared, the wind dropped a bit (3-4 m/s) and the weather became so nice I just had to fly... I flew both long and short tips and got both set up almost perfect. Attached are plots of a couple of practice flights, the first plot is of the long tips where I was playing around at low altitude for a while to get a better feel for the model. The second plot is of the short tips where I also passed the transmitter to two other pilots and they both got away multiple times from low altitude.

The long tips are a fantastic weapon with incredible L/D and handling but the short tips are extremely fun to fly, super responsive and very agile. For really low starts I can see people loving the short tips while the long tips are going to be outstanding as an all-round model.
May 08, 2018, 05:22 AM
In F3J size does matter!
Thread OP
I’ve uploaded updated settings in post 2
May 08, 2018, 10:26 AM
*Full Disclosure* Im a Gorilla
Had my chance to fly the Ultima 2 this weekend and WOW!! its a plane you bond with very quickly. The float on this plane is amazing, I didnt think it was possible to beat the Ultima 1 float, but they did it!! The plane flys a bit faster which will be a bonus for the guys coming from faster heavier airframes like Explorer or Pike. Ive been told that the speed the U1 flies can be hard to get used to.

I had the chance to try CG from 95mm to 110mm and the plane is awesome at each setting. I simple couldnt get the U2 to stall, drop a tip or spin!! thats very impressive!! friends that flew the plane had similar feedback. Next up is to experiment with ballast and CG with ballast.

I was able to launch as low as 22M this weekend!! the plane hit sink as it flew out the back of the low fast moving lift and descended to about 7-8M (Altis will tell when I upload the data) I then proceeded to run downwind in sink, reacquire the lift and take'er out to skybase for a 9:58/22M/50 landing! simply amazing!!!

My finish was not very good in the contest, I took very unnecessary risks....but the plane just gave me the confidence to do so, I felt like I could get out at 50M all day long. But I can guerantee you this plane will see many trophies in the coming 12 months!! Its another Winner from the boys at DSComposites.

When can you get an Ultima 2?

I was told by Denis that the team is finishing up an order for Vortex 3s over the next couple weeks and then they will address the worldwide demand for this new princess!! With that being said, NOW IS THE TIME to call Ali Khani @ FightComp.com and order an Ultima 2!! We need to properly forecast how many models to order most importantly to make sure nobody is left out. Its atleast 6 weeks wait between shipments so dont miss out to own and fly one of these models very soon!!! Team selects is coming sooner than you think, and the F5J tour is heating up across the USA!! Help us to get one of these in your hands sooner than later!! Cheers!

~Toby
May 08, 2018, 10:37 AM
*Full Disclosure* Im a Gorilla
Beautiful Airframes!!
May 08, 2018, 11:12 AM
Thanks for the report. I was rooting for you from cyberspace !

Yes if you want to be on the sharp end I would recommend reaching out for Ali at Flightcomp now for an airframe, well unless you like waiting, haha.

I myself will have to wait as my budget for models has been destroyed this year.

Great job to everyone involved in this new Ultima, it looks awesome.
May 22, 2018, 12:06 AM
Roy,

any info as to if the 3d files have been released ?

Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by roydor
The base is glued and has a stopper at the back so the plugs can’t slip into the wing, the connectors have a small dab of CA so they don’t pull out but can be removed with an exacto knife in a matter of a few seconds to allow servo replacement.

I will make some small last improvements and release the files.

Also made some servo trays for the wing and fuselage and a ballast tray. These will be available as laser cut plywood parts but I will post these files as well
May 22, 2018, 02:02 AM
In F3J size does matter!
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs_123
Roy,

any info as to if the 3d files have been released ?

Jim
I was preoccupied with another project so didn’t have time to do this... I hope to do it later today.

Quick Reply