Dec 06, 2019, 06:16 PM
Ive played with the c of g quite a bit in the last couple of weeks and the plane comes alive for me at 102.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 09, 2019, 02:50 PM
I was wrong 104 is great
Dec 09, 2019, 03:09 PM
Win=span\massXpractice+lu ck
i took my U2 standard(1240grams) out for a sin yesterday and got some really amazing neutral flights where you launched to 50 ish meters and the model just stayed there not climbing , not sinking. 2 times in a row and then the sun went behind the clouds and that required more altitude. I to route my 900 mhz sat RX back into the fin like U2 Strong...so its on the bench for a day.
Dec 22, 2019, 09:56 AM
Does any one know on the light version if there is any reinforcement in the carbon at the servo bays or does this have to be done by the builder?
Dec 22, 2019, 11:07 AM
if you are ordering and you want something - you just ask Denis - I would expect it to be reinforced with textreme. Even if its not - bear in mind that launch loads are super low so you dont need to add a layer in the pocket unless you are after something special like the ability to just pop off old servos from the pockets like a version 1 Xplorer
Dec 22, 2019, 11:39 AM
In F3J size does matter!
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by limey12
Does any one know on the light version if there is any reinforcement in the carbon at the servo bays or does this have to be done by the builder?
All versions have reinforcements in the servo bays, a single layer of thin skin is too thin for a servo bay without adding some reinforcements to it which is why Denis adds it.
I donít have a light version but I always make sure I glue the servo mounts to the Rohacel as well as the skin which makes a much more stable bond than just to the wing skin by itself which may flex.

Roy
Dec 22, 2019, 02:41 PM
I finished a U 2 strong and used the supplied carboline servo covers cut to size as reinforcement in the servo bays. I use a clear bubble servo cover to accommodate a longer servo horn to get max throw.
I use West system G Flex epoxy resin to glue in the carboline and servo frames which will flex and not pop the frames.
On a light layup U 2, forces are not as severe. I would go with what is already set up in the servo bay. I still suggest using the G Flex as torquing of wing will inevitably happen in flight or landing.
Dec 30, 2019, 08:42 PM
Hi, last weekend I flew my two Ultima 2 wings , one with a home made fuselage after having an accident because of a speed control fault and the other is a hybrid with an Explorer V-tail slim fuselage. In both i use 7.5 degree DIY wing joiners. Perfect flight models.
I wish you a very happy year 2020 and I hope to see you at the February event in Argentina.
Jan 02, 2020, 04:52 AM
In F3J size does matter!
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by roydor
Today we had our last competition of the session.
Low wind and light but stable thermals.
We had 5 rounds and my launches were 40,40,30,32 and 15 meters for an average of only 31.4 meters.
This was good enough for first but just barely, the pilot in second place averaged 36.5 meters and we ended just 24 points away from each other after the 5 rounds (he was also flying a U2).

Attached are logs I downloaded, including yesterday’s 10 meter launch at practice and a couple of hand launches into thermals I did after the competition.
A clip from the flight that started from 15 meters, 4 Ultima 2’s flying in this round.

Ultima 2 F5J low start (1 min 32 sec)

And some hand launching after the competition

Hand launching the Ultima 2 for some fun flying after a competition (1 min 9 sec)
Jan 02, 2020, 11:48 AM
tenacious flying !!
Jan 03, 2020, 06:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by grc2011
Hi, last weekend I flew my two Ultima 2 wings , one with a home made fuselage after having an accident because of a speed control fault and the other is a hybrid with an Explorer V-tail slim fuselage. In both i use 7.5 degree DIY wing joiners. Perfect flight models.
I wish you a very happy year 2020 and I hope to see you at the February event in Argentina.

Very good ! I hope they come more ultima 2 with fine fuce and big tail in v are much more beautiful
What are the characteristics of flight and weight?
Jan 08, 2020, 12:57 PM
First fly of the new year whith U2!!
Good and happy new year 2020 friends of Ultima 2!!
Jan 08, 2020, 10:24 PM
Some.. call him Tim...
I think I read almost every page of the thread! Great info and a bunch of amazing planes. I consider myself fortunate to join the group. My green pink and white ultima two is on its way. I Just received a Viper tenshock 14t motor,and 5.1 micro drive. Going to run GM13x8 carbon blades and spinner, 60amp light esc, and 3s 850.
(4550kv and 100km/h, 39amp,1980 grams of thrust)
Two KST x08,two KST x08+ and two X10 mini with 3D print servo trays.
Last edited by Ducati Mechanic; Jan 10, 2020 at 04:53 PM.
Jan 18, 2020, 12:42 AM
NorCal Electric Soaring (NES)
Getting started on U2 Std build. I have scanned this thread and taken good notes but have some kick-start q's. Re: Rud / Ele servo mounting I'll use MKS 6110's + the wood frames. I only found 1 pic of this but it's not showing the MPJet Z conns referenced in post 1079. My parts bag has none. What works best given the tight quarters? Thanks

Chris
Jan 18, 2020, 02:43 AM
In F3J size does matter!
Thread OP
The MPJet Z connectors are super easy and highly recommended. If you donít have any and donít want to wait for shipping of a set, you can bend a Z and use string soaked in CA to secure it to the carbon pushrod.
Thatís how we did it in the first models before we found the MPJet connectors

Quick Reply