Apr 18, 2018, 10:21 PM
Suspended Account
Thread OP
Hi rotagen. I was also tinkering with the variants of kfm, airfoil type for wings, etc. This is the part that I'm failed to determine correctly and still need to further seek knowledge. I have a mixed review as few friends told that kfm for diy aircraft like this won't affect much on the plane characteristic. I on the other hand think otherwise. As for that, I still need to experiment on the variants to suit with my flying taste.

I have experience using depron with paper laminated on the surface, indeed it is heavy for this type of wingspan. With a 1800mah lipo at hand, and 32" wingspan, 2200kv motor with 6x4 prop, it is enough to make the airplane fly. But to have it fly more stable, less drag and more lift, I need to experiment with the options that I can gathered here. Hopefully other can build with their modification and let us know their outcome.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 19, 2018, 10:50 AM
Scratch building addict
Keep us informed! I noticed most people do the KF airfoils for jets, so they must work... I have a 50 gram motor and 3S battery on a little 20-inch wingspan EPP p51 from Hacker, and that thing flies fine and easy hand toss, I bet if I calculated the wing loading it would be similar to what you have.
Apr 21, 2018, 01:23 PM
Just for reference please check this site...

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...an-F9F-Panther

Bob has done many mid engine models, which you can refer or check his Videos...
Apr 21, 2018, 10:44 PM
Suspended Account
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponappa
Just for reference please check this site...

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...an-F9F-Panther

Bob has done many mid engine models, which you can refer or check his Videos...
Thanks Ponappa. I've watched Bob's Video and been reading his post. It is similar build but since I'm using depron and aim to keep the build simpler, I've come up with my own design.
Apr 21, 2018, 11:53 PM
Suspended Account
Thread OP
The Maiden Video

F9F Panther MJ - Maiden at supersonic speed (2 min 39 sec)
Apr 22, 2018, 11:13 AM
Hey now, that looked quite uneventful, which is a good thing. It looks like you had a test pilot this time. I had doubts about the design because of the mass behind the propeller but it can fly for sure. Nice work on your color scheme.
Apr 22, 2018, 01:37 PM
Scratch building addict
Way cool!

I like the red accents on the plane.

It looks pretty fast too.
Apr 22, 2018, 09:49 PM
Suspended Account
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawn Dart Flyer
Hey now, that looked quite uneventful, which is a good thing. It looks like you had a test pilot this time. I had doubts about the design because of the mass behind the propeller but it can fly for sure. Nice work on your color scheme.
I had a friend that built the airplane and he took a step further by maiden it first than mine. The mass behind the prop is to ensure the strength of the structure and yet introduce less drag to it since everything is line up for the air flow to move in and out freely. I haven't got a chance to maiden mine yet
Apr 22, 2018, 09:52 PM
Suspended Account
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotagen
Way cool!

I like the red accents on the plane.

It looks pretty fast too.
Yeap, that is one fast flying. I'm not sure if I could successfully maiden mine as my eyes sight is not that good with fast airplane. But then watching it fly makes my day. A benchmark for me to design another model. A-10 is currently on the draw board. Finger cross
Apr 26, 2018, 09:18 AM
I look forward in seeing your interpretation of the A-10, can we get a sneak peek?
Apr 26, 2018, 10:13 PM
Suspended Account
Thread OP
You can check my other post for the A-10 MJ here: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...et-made-simple
May 25, 2018, 06:17 AM
Plans for the F9F?
Oct 18, 2018, 08:04 AM
Suspended Account
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpot1
Plans for the F9F?
Sorry for the delay there. I guess I've missed out your question earlier. I have update my 1st post with the plan in pdf. Feel free to test build it too
Oct 19, 2018, 04:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by azamkl
Sorry for the delay there. I guess I've missed out your question earlier. I have update my 1st post with the plan in pdf. Feel free to test build it too
Thank you - adding this to the winter build list. Question - have you built from this plan as I’m seeing some things that done seem to look right?

Quick Reply