Apr 13, 2018, 12:06 PM
a.k.a MJ
Build Log

F9F Panther MJ - Mid Pusher Jet

The fun and how I enjoyed designing and building DIY Depron aircraft has been my passion and a great experience in this hobby. This time, I intriduce to you another type of mid-pusher jet for you to try out, Grumman F9F Panther.

The spec are as below:
Wing span: 813mm / 32 inch
Motor: 2200kv Turnigy
Prop: 6x4
Lipo: 1800mah to 2200mah 11.1V
ESC: 30A

I haven't got a time yet to get my self on the depron sheet, but will keep posting the process once I started on it. In meanwhile, you guys can start building it should you wish to try it out. All comments and feedback are welcome.
Last edited by azamkl; Apr 20, 2018 at 08:15 PM. Reason: Remove plan as I need to edit it.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 13, 2018, 06:49 PM
Scratch building addict
Cool. I really like the looks of the older jets. My freewing Panther EDF is super fun, and the only EDF I own. I did upgrade the motor/fan however. And noticed that fans sound cool, but there's not a huge speed range like a prop.

I had the same Idea as you for making a Shooting star jet from the similar period. Mid-fuse prop but couldn't figure how I would do it.
Apr 14, 2018, 05:15 AM
a.k.a MJ
Hi rotagen. I believe the Shooting star jet can have a similar build to this F9F Panther. Have it mid-pusher design and off you go. I can design it for you if you want to build it. It's going to be a bit tricky for the mid-pusher setup since you did not have enough room for the prop clearance, but it still do'able to my understanding.

But before I can proceed with the next design of mid-pusher collection, I need someone or maybe I myself need to start building this one first, maiden it and see how she behave. Then only I can determine and improve my next design.
Apr 14, 2018, 09:26 AM
Scratch building addict
Very good. I will try to learn from this.
Apr 14, 2018, 09:12 PM
How were you thinking of doing the elevator servo / pushrod setup?
Apr 16, 2018, 02:26 AM
a.k.a MJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpot1
How were you thinking of doing the elevator servo / pushrod setup?
I'm currently haven't thought of that. But surely I will just tuck in anywhere as I see fit. I'm open for any modification later on should one build it.
Maybe for the elevator, I will make a hole onto the fin and stuff the servo inside it in between the double fin squish. Will keep you update on that as I move on.
Apr 16, 2018, 03:02 AM
a.k.a MJ
I'm not sure if this plane will fly or not. Or if it does fly, I'm not sure if I could even can handle the flight characteristic of it
Based on the design and the original structure of the aircraft, it is going to be one hell of a fast aircraft due to the power-to-weight ratio. The wingspan is 32" and yet the AUW going to be over 550g. This would need more thrust capable motor to make sure the aircraft afloat.

Anyway, I'll try maiden it first and see how it goes.

At the moment, I've finished building it up, give it some decent color opp tape covering. Next will be putting in the electronics and figure out on where I want to put the servos in.
Apr 16, 2018, 07:24 AM
Foamy and Glider fanatic
Love the paint scheme. For a "rush job" that looks pretty cool!
Apr 16, 2018, 09:31 AM
Scratch building addict
REally cool looking plane. Yeah those small prop planes can be a handful due to less authority at low speed, making hand toss tougher.

But what else can you do with mid prop? I still think it will be more fun than an EDF and more low speed authority, very cool.
Apr 16, 2018, 09:58 AM
a.k.a MJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacky's Boy
Love the paint scheme. For a "rush job" that looks pretty cool!
I believe others could improve more on what I did. Thanks for the compliment.
A friend told me that the plane looks like a "Fed Ex" aircraft Then I switch to have red color in it to make it more war fighter.
Apr 16, 2018, 10:01 AM
a.k.a MJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotagen
REally cool looking plane. Yeah those small prop planes can be a handful due to less authority at low speed, making hand toss tougher.

But what else can you do with mid prop? I still think it will be more fun than an EDF and more low speed authority, very cool.
I was thinking of making the wingspan a bit bigger from the original blue print so that the speed-to-my eyesight would have more friendly vision and capable of flying at low speed. But that will defeat the aim, to have a similar profile to the original aircraft.
Apr 16, 2018, 10:11 AM
a.k.a MJ
Some of the color variants of F9F Panther that I would like to try if I have the time to build my second F9F
Apr 16, 2018, 10:21 AM
Scratch building addict
Thanks for the graphics, I agree the plane is so pretty as-is, I would keep it scale.

Reminds me of those cheesy B-movies from the 50's about UFOs , another addiction of mine.
Apr 16, 2018, 04:41 PM
Can wait to see video of this. It will be next in line for me after the EDF build currently on the table.
Apr 18, 2018, 12:08 PM
Scratch building addict
You're right that's a pretty heavy plane for the wingspan. NOt crazy heavy though. One suggestion if you can make those wingtip tanks taller, you'd be amazed how much a vertical component on the tip reduces drag and increases lift due to eliminating tip vortices.

The KF wings are easy to make, but in my experience they have nearly zero lift if the nose is even slightly below horizontal, and they're not "floaty" which is why I usually make a smooth upper surface/ standard airfoil.

It's 6mm depron? Perhaps that stuff is way heavier than DT foam, which is what I generally use with the paper removed, and sometimes laminating film on top. But mainly I suspect that big battery and perhaps a heavy-ish motor are to blame.

It's not crazy heavy however but if it were me I would go to a 1000mah 3S or even a bit lighter moved up into the nose. For that size plane I would use around a 50gm motor - that KV is perfect for your prop though.

Everybody's a damn expert....

Quick Reply