Apr 13, 2018, 08:17 AM
JosÚ Luis
Thread OP

What is your experience using MKS servos

Hi F3X Friends,
as some of you already know I have being competing and even attending world F3F championships over the last 15 years, I was also using MKS servos over the last 10 years and suffering the burnouts and broken gears of the MKS 6125 servo.
I was told by MKS that all that problems will be solve using the new HV6130 but it turns out that we have the same problems as we previously had with the 6125. I was speaking to MKS over the last two months in order to solve this problem, which was discussed on a Facebook thread, please read it for further information:

https://www.facebook.com/stanley.cha...20597694760197

Finally MKS said to me that they are not going to solve our problem, they are thinking to release a new servo instead of solving our problems with the 6130, and also that they even don┤t have enough feedback about the problem because many users are happy and the truth of our assessments is under suspicious, that is un acceptable to me, so I decided to open this thread in order to discuss your thoughts and experiences using servos MKS, only with the purpose of showing the company that when we are putting on risk our planes and the people who is around us is not a minor problem, it is something really serious and must be taken into account.
Thanks for sharing your experiences
JosÚ Luis Alvarez
Last edited by jlsalas123; Apr 13, 2018 at 12:13 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 13, 2018, 09:53 AM

Finally a post thats trying to give some light on the MKS issues

I have used MKS for 8 years. I've had all the versions of the 6125 and 6125 mini and H. About 4 years ago the started to burn out in flight or before flight and the main gear would break with just a small jolt of the flaps. I changed to the MKS regulators from other 5 v regulators and that did not work. I would treat my planes like fine ladies so I would not break a servo gear. But I am landing F3F planes that are over 4 kilos so how much special treatment can I give them? Everything got worse. The burning and breaking speeded up. All my servos came from the US market and on a Facebook thread from Stanley Chan this issues came up from a variety of nationalities. Videos exposing the flaws and tales on bad experiences were shared. The MKS answers to our issues didn't even come close to a FIX. So MKS and MKS USA can go to hell enough is enough with this people. They treat us as maggots so the same for them.

Carlos Rivero
F3F Pilot
Last edited by manuel926; Apr 13, 2018 at 10:20 AM.
Apr 13, 2018, 11:06 AM
My experience: I never had an issue with the gears on the 6125's. Even with severe crashes, I never stripped a gear set on the 6125. Maybe this is something that happened with later production? Not sure. I will say I always land with flaps up - especially when landing at 4 Kg. Based on my experience, I find reports of 6125 gear sets stripping somewhat surprising.
However, the motors on the 6125's, especially the minis was a serious problem. I had several burn up. I have had good experience with the 6125e (both low and high voltage versions). Never had an issue with them. I have heard reports of some people having problems with later versions (probably pot related), but I personally have not experienced any issues.

I have also had a very good experience with the 6625 series. Same with the 6100's and 6110's (both high and low voltage) as well as the DS75K's. I did experience the problem with the original DS65K's, but I have not used the gold label version, so I don't have any experience with them.

As far as the 6130's go, I have never used one, but I have seen others have problems. So clearly, there is an issue, but without having actually used them personally, I can't say much more than that.

Those are my honest experiences, and yes I am a sponsored MKS pilot.

Tom
Apr 13, 2018, 11:31 AM
F3B
6125 gears strip really easy. To compare to say JR DS189 is farcical. The gear inside the gear in the middle come un glued or the output shaft strips. They are practically unusable on heavy models (e.g my srtl)

6125e I had to stop using these because they suffered interference from 2.4ghz. They also hammered the battery and flight times were poor.

6125 also had less travel than other servos which was very poor.

Not had any burn outs but did have one pull down the sbec for no obvious reason (although worked again after?). Considering the voltage was limited to 5v on them this was always an issue.

Look - MKS is all about getting sponsored pilots to fly them and say how good they are. The slop is also probably the bets out of the case which gives you a good impression.

Everything is about marketing and FUD. You don't need 8kcm servos but we have all been convinced that you need this to fly (how much flap travel do you using in f3f.....?). It's funny because actually reliability is very important in f3x, particularly say f3b.

Personally I would not touch mks servos with a barge pole from personal experience and the experience of plenty of others I know. Curiously not people who get free servos or hats from MKS.....
Apr 13, 2018, 11:54 AM
Tom, what radio system are you using that you experienced interference with 6125e's? I've used them with Airtronics and Graupner without issues. I have friends that use them with Spectrum and Futaba without issues.

I've heard people have problems with Frysky and JR servos. My understanding is Frysky blasts their telemetry at full power which is what may cause this issue - not sure though.
Apr 13, 2018, 12:02 PM

Bad experiences

My experiences with MKS low volt servos (6125 mini; 6125) were bad.
I exchanged all servos to other servo types.
So I lost a lot of money, because I threw them into the trashcan.

Destroyed 2 gliders due to burned servos in flight.
Hopefully I didn't hit anybody with that 4kg bullet.

So my personal conclusion 3 years ago was:
Never buy any MKS servo again.

Markus Meissner
Not sponsored F3F pilot
Apr 13, 2018, 02:29 PM
F3B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiesling
Tom, what radio system are you using that you experienced interference with 6125e's? I've used them with Airtronics and Graupner without issues. I have friends that use them with Spectrum and Futaba without issues.

I've heard people have problems with Frysky and JR servos. My understanding is Frysky blasts their telemetry at full power which is what may cause this issue - not sure though.
Frsky and hitec. Yes other servos have the same problem.

I see the thread got moved out of f3x. The matrix re aligned.... Sorry the susa sub forum would be a better name.
Apr 13, 2018, 02:35 PM
Mks sponsored pilot

Quick rundown. I fly alot. My landing areas are harsh. I fly heavy. I am perfect test mule.

6125 mini. I had good success, 4cell nihm. Saw others fail (Motor issues), not much problem with gears that i recall

6125 (full size) terrific, 4cell nihm. No gear issues, loved em.

6125e reg and hv. Wonderful servo, have never seen 1 issue, period.

6100, 6110, reg and hv. The servo that could! In aileron of my f3b pitbulls. Center good, and durable little cuss's. Use them on vtails all day long as well. Plenty of torque for most any position of f3x planes.

6625 reg and mini. King pupu servo. Had better be for the money, they will outlast your airframes (especially in socal!). Strong, center perfect, durable. Like i said, king pupu.

6130v 6130h. I have many. I have had a gear come loose, twice. Wasnt a big deal, diminished torque, understand it. The servo stayed centered. I replaced and raced on. My friends have tore through a few of them. They are hard on equipment ( think " oh i hope my plane is ok") type hard. However, a trend started and has been reported to mks.

What happens now is in their hands. I believe there is a new gearset for the 6130.

As Carlos said, landing at 4+kg does things to airframes and servos. If u think other brands dont fail, come take a look in my garage....they do.

WD
Bully from the beach
Concrete appears, ciao
Apr 13, 2018, 02:51 PM
F3B
The perfect test mule isn't sponsored by the product its testing. Let's try to inject a little realism here. No criticism of the person or their personality but sponsored mks pilots are the least neutral people out there other than resellers and mks employees.

Whoever moved this thread - that's a very weak move frankly.
Apr 13, 2018, 03:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by satinet
The perfect test mule isn't sponsored by the product its testing. Let's try to inject a little realism here. No criticism of the person or their personality but sponsored mks pilots are the least neutral people out there other than resellers and mks employees.

Whoever moved this thread - that's a very weak move frankly.
It really depends on the way the company uses their sponsored pilots. Ideally the company will provide preproduction product to the sponsored pilots for them to test in real world conditions and provide feedback. In some cases, this can be a lot of work and matches or exceeds the value of the product received from the sponsor.

This puts the sponsored pilots aircraft at some risk but this is part of the deal.

In my case, I have only tested a few preproduction servos from MKS. 6625, 6625 mini, 75K, and 65K. All but the 65K worked well for me. Unfortunately, the pot issue with one of my 65Ks didn't show up until after production units were released. I did what I could to help with the resolution of that problem.

So it can be a mixed bag. With MKS, on the whole, my personal experience has been positive. Yes, I had some disappointment and frustration with the 6125 mini motors, but I knew that problem would be resolved with the 6625 series. Yes, the price is high, but they have been a really good servo in my experience. I understand this isn't a great response to those that had failures.

As I said before, I have not been involved at all with the 6130, so I can't comment.

I also agree the thread should not have been moved.

I hope that puts some perspective on where at least some of the sponsored pilots are coming from and that it isn't all about free stuff.

Tom
Apr 13, 2018, 04:44 PM
Eagle Butte User
Spoke with MKS. They got me squared away with my questions. I am confident MKS is committed to deliver the best servos for our hobby. Very impressed.
Last edited by PDX Slope Pilot; Apr 13, 2018 at 06:24 PM.
Apr 13, 2018, 11:57 PM
F3B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiesling
It really depends on the way the company uses their sponsored pilots. Ideally the company will provide preproduction product to the sponsored pilots for them to test in real world conditions and provide feedback. In some cases, this can be a lot of work and matches or exceeds the value of the product received from the sponsor.

This puts the sponsored pilots aircraft at some risk but this is part of the deal.

In my case, I have only tested a few preproduction servos from MKS. 6625, 6625 mini, 75K, and 65K. All but the 65K worked well for me. Unfortunately, the pot issue with one of my 65Ks didn't show up until after production units were released. I did what I could to help with the resolution of that problem.

So it can be a mixed bag. With MKS, on the whole, my personal experience has been positive. Yes, I had some disappointment and frustration with the 6125 mini motors, but I knew that problem would be resolved with the 6625 series. Yes, the price is high, but they have been a really good servo in my experience. I understand this isn't a great response to those that had failures.

As I said before, I have not been involved at all with the 6130, so I can't comment.

I also agree the thread should not have been moved.

I hope that puts some perspective on where at least some of the sponsored pilots are coming from and that it isn't all about free stuff.

Tom
My other thread has also been moved. What a joke! There's loads of servo threads in the f3x forum. But anything critical of mks gets moved. No prizes for guessing why - so fewer people will see it. Really pathetic. The whole f3x forum has gone from a really interesting place to an advertising section for soaring USA.

The mod who moved the threads is joke. You should be ashamed of yourself.
Apr 14, 2018, 12:46 PM
Changed to HV and have installed 6130's in the wings of all my F3F planes. I have had no failures to date and I use Futaba 18sz with the 7008sb receiver. The only thing that comes to mind and this is not a servo issue is when a new plain is completed. I have noticed a slight centering problem that I believe comes from unused linkages. After a few flight everything seems to be fine. Not Sponsored F3F Driver.
Apr 14, 2018, 01:40 PM
bayagliders.com
I think the 6100 /HV servo is a great servo. I fly aerobatics and F3F but I often fly in a constantly rolling flying style, switching roll directions, rolling loops, etc and I never have had a single issue with them. I probably fly them continuously harder than almost anybody, save for a 3d pilot. When I have crashed hard, a servo gear might break, but not unreasonable for a small servo. I have KST servos but they don't center nearly as well as the MKS.

On any servo, particularly on flaps, if you overdrive the servo, meaning you push the servo to apply more travel than beyond mechanical limit, have bad geometry on your flaps, land with your flaps down and are fully loaded you are going to break stuff, and burn out pots. Period. I have not done this on all my flaps but you almost want the servo arm parallel to the wing on full flap down because this almost creates a mechanical lock that puts the least amount of force on the servo gear train and more on the linkage and frame. But every servo is prone to failure. I have used BMS servos on a glider and had both an elevator and aileron fail at the same time and I was barely able to safely land plane by just using reflex snap flap. That was a save.
Apr 15, 2018, 12:08 AM
Heavy's good, heavy's reliable
I've used MKS servos in a lot of planes. From light moldies to super heavy DS planes. 6125s, 6100s, 6625s, 747s,9767s etc. ALL have served me extremely well.

I fly hard and fast and don't baby my planes. Nearly all of the issues I've seen others have stemmed from RDS and/or poor linkage geometry/binding.
Last edited by BDK74; Apr 16, 2018 at 09:10 PM.

Quick Reply