Apr 11, 2018, 11:53 AM
Thread OP
Question

Best FPV Fc Firmware

Purchased a wing wing z-84 yesterday.... preparing for its arrival:

I intend to eventually add GPS but not for a while (like half a year) so was wondering what firmware to use on my 'Afroflight Naze 32 rev6' fc.
Ideally the firmware is designed for wings or has it as an option but isn't only for UAVs?
(Does that kind of thing exist or will it have to be a plane setting? _ doesn't really matter tbh )

Cheers, Alex
to remove ads between posts
Apr 11, 2018, 08:44 PM
Staring at it won't fix it.
I've used the Naze 32 in fpv planes and wing gliders running cleanflight 1.13 and it works fine for basic stabilization. 1.14 had a problem on quads so I never tried it on fixed wing. Cleanflight 2.0 and Betaflight also work well on fixed wing but you need to assign the servos to an output using the CLI. Check Youtube for videos on resource assignment, too much to explain here. You also need to reverse a servo in the servo tab when using BF or CF on a wing as one of them has always moved backwards for me. The default P gain settings are way too high in CF an BF for fixed wing.

I use Betaflight on several gliders, wing gliders and a Mini Drak and it works well but is not well documented for such use. I have gps in all but one, with the coordinates on a telemetry screen in the Taranis. It's paid off once already and I recovered the MD by putting the coordinates in a Garmin and going right to it.

The lua scripts in Betaflight also work for fixed wing.

If you plan to add gps, don't wait as it may help you recover your wing. But it would be a better idea to get an up to date flight controller as the Naze is pretty obsolete. It doesn't have enough uarts to connect sbus, telemetry, osd, gps, vtx control etc. Consider getting a Matek F722 as they have 5 uarts with inversion on any of them. They can run Betaflight or iNav which is something to think about if you want rth capability that BF doesn't have yet.

I have 2 F722s in quads and one in a plane with iNav and getting everything working was easy compared to other FCs I've tried. INav is better developed and documented for fixed wing use than BF.
Apr 13, 2018, 09:25 AM
rfengfpv.wordpress.com
For a wing I would recommend you run iNav, ArduPlane or PX4 software as these packages have been extensively tested with fixed wing aircraft. The only one of these that will run on a Naze is iNav, but it isn't recommended for new installations (https://github.com/iNavFlight/inav/w...pported-boards).

I suggest instead either get an F3 or F4 FC with iNav, or a PixHawk compatible FC with ArduPlane or PX4. Setup will be simpler, documentation and support is available and you will be able to run the full current (and future) software releases.

Quick Reply