Apr 08, 2018, 09:28 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Compact Hang Plane by Propeller Hook Storage Method

Garage storage is not an option for me and my planes were "interfering" with our vacuum cleaner. So I built the rack which I call My Airport Hanger (pun here). The rack is 4' long and the center of the horizontal rod is 47' from the floor. Obviously this unit can be scaled up or down.

With clever spacing, it looks like 7 planes could be comfortably hung, if of the lighter weight foamy type; all of my planes are less than 2lbs AUW, and less than that of course without a battery installed. I bent the hooks so that they support the planes with the hook passing as close to the motor center line as practical, so the propeller is supported at the "propeller root" next to the hub circumference. The cable ties are used to prevent excessive slack in the wire, which droops as planes are added. They are installed to a slip fit so they can be moved along the rod to new positions as necessary. Planes can be located anywhere along the wire.

Mtls:
2 x 4s feet
1 x 4s verticals and bottom horizontal
1.25" dia horizontal rod
.0625" multistrand steel wire
prop saver collets as wire anchors located on exterior facets of 1 x 4" verticals
4 small casters (inexpensive from Harbor Freight
bent 12 guage copper electrical for hooks
angle brackets at the verical to bottom horizontal interface
tie wraps to keep the wire from excessive drooping with the weight of the planes

Please see photos
Last edited by markbower; May 06, 2018 at 10:23 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 09, 2018, 12:05 AM
Very elegant. Looks like this is best for planes that are 3 pounds or less. You want to make sure the propeller doesn't get distorted over time if the plane is heavy. (The hanger should have plenty of padding).
Apr 09, 2018, 07:50 AM
An option that could exploit your frame but provide more options is 2 thin ropes under good strong tension separated by about 1-1.5". This allows props to be inserted between the ropes anywhere along the run then turned 90 degrees to be at right angles to the ropes. Adjusting model spacing is infinitely flexible. The shape of APC-E blades keeps the rope strands close to the spinner. Not sure how SF props would go.
Apr 09, 2018, 10:02 PM
Thread OP
Thanks for the comments from two previous posters. Rather than reply here, I will beef up my original post to address your comments.
Last edited by markbower; Apr 09, 2018 at 10:49 PM.

Quick Reply