May 24, 2018, 03:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cellbuster
The Aussie Dollar at one time bought $1.30 US but is now $0.70 nearly half its value.
Good to hear you are getting things from Australia with Ford and GM both closing here I didn't think we made anything here at all ! The Australian government is killing manufacturing, one day they will wake up to what they have done.
well we have to stay friends with China after all, since we have so much of that planet polluting coal to sell!
I wonder how many of our politicians have lots of coal mining shares or a pre-allocated board member position for when they retire.
to remove ads between posts
May 25, 2018, 07:25 PM
Thats good but to record it on the Horus transmitter and have it displayed and voice activated in real time is better especially when checking RSSI and looking at the model position in the sky you can confirm the signal strength while you are flying, Also setting an alarm on the RX battery voltage gives you a lot of reassurance. I hope Jim can look at this soon.
May 26, 2018, 06:51 AM
Quote:
Thats good but to record it on the Horus transmitter and have it displayed and voice activated in real time is better especially when checking RSSI and looking at the model position in the sky you can confirm the signal strength while you are flying, Also setting an alarm on the RX battery voltage gives you a lot of reassurance. I hope Jim can look at this soon.
I agree !! Having to drag a laptop and other equipment to the field to get RSSI and other values is simply cumbersome!!!

FrSky has surely done it right and I’m sure that Jim has taken note of it ..... hopefully the XPS transmitter will be just as good.
May 26, 2018, 10:35 AM
I don't like having telemetry on a transmitter. It's a real liability without also having voice outputs, which is why I demo'd the very first transmitter for R/C with speech.
May 26, 2018, 12:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDrew
I don't like having telemetry on a transmitter. It's a real liability without also having voice outputs, which is why I demo'd the very first transmitter for R/C with speech.
That’s why FrSky and others with FULL telemetry capability AND speech call outs are so popular today !!

That demo you keep referring to was done when Moby Dick was sill a minnow !!!

It’s high time you put that speech on a transmitter “invention “ of yours to use !!!!
May 26, 2018, 01:40 PM
I do use it, as have others at events. It's just not massed produced at this point. Someday, Juan... someday.
May 27, 2018, 07:53 PM
Quote:
All telemetry systems have voice output now. Flying XPS radio link is like being able to turn invisible only when people are not looking. Get to say XPS was the first to make a demo Tx with voice and were the first to make telemetry link and that it's better and faster. But people respond by going and flying their plane with full telemetry suite. We can sit and sulk about having a stronger radio link but they also had no radio connection problem but had telemetry data being read from their Tx the entire time.

I flew maiden for a guy and his system voiced a main pack low voltage warning during the flight. But he did not set it up. Useful telemetry is now happening by accident just by plugging things in.

Telemetry is the biggest market for better XPS innovations, no?
May 27, 2018, 08:24 PM
No, telemetry really hasn't been much of an interest. Maybe because we have had telemetry for 12 years, so we were way ahead of everyone else. Only the EVO and A9 are capable of showing that telemetry data on the transmitter itself. I am looking how to support telemetry with the Taranis.
May 27, 2018, 11:22 PM
So if you can get telemetry to work on the Taranis then it should work on the Horus, yes!
May 28, 2018, 01:31 AM
Probably. The recent firmware change I did for OpenTx v2.1.x and later works on all FrSky transmitters that have a JR module port.
May 28, 2018, 01:44 AM
Quote:
No, telemetry really hasn't been much of an interest. Maybe because we have had telemetry for 12 years, so we were way ahead of everyone else. Only the EVO and A9 are capable of showing that telemetry data on the transmitter itself. I am looking how to support telemetry with the Taranis.
Where to buy sensor? People still need to engineer their own?

Without buying extras, horus can use a phone as a base station as well as voice outpt. Voltage, gps, pitot speed tubes, temp sensors. All available without needing to hardware engineer.

Ahead of none, trailing everyone.
May 28, 2018, 07:25 AM
Really I have an Frsky Horus and their receivers are junk.
I flew a petrol ignition engine in a model for 6 years with XPS without a problem, then I fitted an FrskyX6R in it so I could use telemetry and the receiver failed in a few weeks form ignition noise sensitivity and shut down. That cost me a favorite plane and hundreds of dollars. Frsky use us as there R&D at our expense. I have noticed others reporting the same in the forums. Now they have released a ignition resistant version called the Pro, What comes after that when it fails the Pro +. I would only use them in a foamy. I am guessing this is what you fly.
May 28, 2018, 07:43 AM
Quote:
Really I have an Frsky Horus and their receivers are junk.
I too have flown the XPS system since almost day 1 when I transitioned to 2.4

However, to say that FrSky receivers are "junk" is simply foolish.... but you're entitled to your opinion.....

There are hundreds of thousands more folks out there using FrSky equipment than there are XPS (of course, that's a wild ass estimate but probably not far off) . XPS stuff is simply not popular in the mainstream RC world.......

While living up north and participating in two separate RC clubs with a combined membership of approximately 300 members, NOT A SINGLE person was using XPS except for me.....

Presently in the club I belong to in Florida consisting of about 160 members when I tell them I'm using XPS, the common answer is "What's XPS " ???

Sorry you had a bad experience but in reading the MANY , MANY FrSky forums that are out there I would conclude that the FrSky system is a solid platform......I'm basing that on my own experience with FrSky.......

Two things that irritates me about XPS are:

1. XPS's failure to finalize and release the transmitter......... once touted to be the greatest thing since sliced bread....

2. Even though claimed to have "telemetry", how and where do you use it ?? You have to be an electrical engineer to be able to make your own sensors to utilize the feature..... if it really is even possible......

Last edited by JuanRodriguez; May 28, 2018 at 04:51 PM.
May 28, 2018, 09:38 AM
I doubt that there are even 50,000 people using FrySky. As of 2013 we had over 220,000 customers in our database.

There is no failure to not yet release a transmitter. It has been a deliberate decision.

Telemetry for Rx voltage and RSSI is available without needing to build any sensors. You need either an Aurora 9, Multiplex EVO, or our Telemetry Station to get this data. We have provided complete schematics, PCB artwork, and code for making a variety of sensors.
May 28, 2018, 04:43 PM
Yes we have a lot of "new" members in our club that use Frsky and the taranis they are new to the hobby buy ARF and foam gliders and want a cheap radio and buy on price.
They have a drawer full of dud Xseries receivers that "lost range". If you have a Horus the first hing you do is replace the wires to the aileron stick as they break, that is basic design I never had a JR fail this way. The Taranis transmitters fall apart with cheap switches.
I started in the hobby 25 years ago on 29meg AM then to 36 Meg and always used JR which were built to last and I still use them today with XPS.. My biggest mistake was buying the Horus you need a computer science degree to keep updating the firmware and just hope that the person writing the open source software knows what they are doing.
I spend to much time scratch building to trust it to Frsky

Quick Reply