Apr 06, 2018, 09:14 PM
Discussion

HK Durafly Auto-G2

The new Auto-G2 with autostart is now on the workbench. I viewed all the You Tube videos and there are a few questions;
* There is no motor thrust line offset and one flyer commented that it flys hands off up to half throttle but more power than that requires holding some stick correction. Does this sound like it may need a little down and right shimming to the motor ?
* The rotor head is factory set with a level attitude, but most heads that I've seen on similar 3-blade rotors have a 2 ~ 7 degree tilt to the left (facing forward). Nothing is mentioned in the videos and it looks to take off, fly straight and level and land nice and level.
* A mod that made sense and shows to work is to cover the bottom of the blades with duck tape with the excess wrapped over the top LE. I have done this with fluorescent orange.
* Only one video commented about balancing the blades and rotor assembly; Yes, I am doing that and yes it was out of balance with significant blade differences.
* I will make the first flights with the stock plastic rotor head, but I have the better all metal head which I will install after the tests and proof of flight.
* One flyer suggests re-bending the wire landing gear to make the width a little wider to help prevent tip overs.
* Larger wheels are also recommended if the field grass is too tall.
Anybody out there who has flown the Auto-G2 ?
Last edited by Jim Petro; Apr 06, 2018 at 09:40 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 07, 2018, 07:45 AM

auto g2

Hi, Ive flown one, I found it quite easy to fly although it does like a bit of wind but not too much,
Apr 15, 2018, 09:16 AM

G2 pitches up

Hi;

I maidened my G2 yesterday and it pitched up to the point that full down would not level it. Is it the motor thrust line or head angle or CG ? I was using a Zippy 1300 battery and the aircraft had a slight nose down attitude when hung from the rotor mast.
May 10, 2018, 05:56 PM
Can somebody post a picture how to asembly rotor blades, becose i think that it came wrong from the box. In manual it say that asembly like first, but first is the asembled on the head and two spacers are bellow.
May 11, 2018, 11:46 AM
Here are pictures how to mout the blades:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...lug-Fly-Review
(and "some" additional information).
May 11, 2018, 12:59 PM
As i understand the front of the blade is down not up ?
May 11, 2018, 02:53 PM
Yes. It is an autogyro and not a helicopter.
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...ns-and-Answers
May 11, 2018, 02:54 PM
Thank you. It come asembeled, but the blade was wrong mounted in factory.
May 16, 2018, 12:17 AM
Have been flying the Auto-G v1 for years (I think the only difference is v2 has pre rotating motor) and flies great with NO MODS apart from 35g lead on front as only run 1000mha. Everything like bigger wheels, adjusting landing gear, motor shims etc are due to other short comings....it flies great out of the box....unbalanced blades and all.

Instead of fitting blades with two screws replace one with a tooth pick.....just jamb in hole and snap off. When you tip over on take off occasionally the tooth pick will break as its the weakest point....not your blade or head etc
Jun 22, 2018, 04:41 PM
Just noticed HK has the Auto-G2 on sale until 7-6-2018 code is AGCOPTER20
Jun 30, 2018, 08:15 PM
I just picked up one on that sale and received it today. Have a few initial questions after opening the box if anyone has a minute:
  • How stiff should the one way bearing on the auto start be in the free wheeling direction? I haven't mounted the main rotor but the shaft is somewhat difficult to turn by hand just grabbing the shaft and you definitely feel some notching/ratcheting. Definitely a lot stiffer and rougher than the auto rotate bearing on my 450 size heli.
  • Mine does not seem to have the extra push-rod that Y's off the main rudder one to steer the tail wheel? Can anyone provide a good picture of that and maybe some dimensions?
  • Oddly, it came with a 4s balance connector plug to power the auto start brushed esc, gonna have to see if I have any 3s ones laying around or modify the 4S one a bit
  • Also didn't come with any glue, no biggie

I'll also be contacting customer support about the missing push-rod and wrong balance connector (and maybe the auto start bearing depending on any feedback on what it's supposed to feel like).

Thanks!
Last edited by mdmyers; Jun 30, 2018 at 08:23 PM. Reason: Add pictures
Jul 13, 2018, 02:14 PM
Ahhgh! Not ANOTHER new plane!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdmyers
I just picked up one on that sale and received it today. Have a few initial questions after opening the box if anyone has a minute:
  • How stiff should the one way bearing on the auto start be in the free wheeling direction? I haven't mounted the main rotor but the shaft is somewhat difficult to turn by hand just grabbing the shaft and you definitely feel some notching/ratcheting. Definitely a lot stiffer and rougher than the auto rotate bearing on my 450 size heli.
  • Mine does not seem to have the extra push-rod that Y's off the main rudder one to steer the tail wheel? Can anyone provide a good picture of that and maybe some dimensions?
  • Oddly, it came with a 4s balance connector plug to power the auto start brushed esc, gonna have to see if I have any 3s ones laying around or modify the 4S one a bit

I'll also be contacting customer support about the missing push-rod and wrong balance connector (and maybe the auto start bearing depending on any feedback on what it's supposed to feel like).

The rotor should be completely free wheeling in the correct direction. FYI, I put one of the rotor shaft nuts UNDER the hub. With both on top, the hub rubbed against the pylon.
Thanks!
I picked this up too. I had one originally, sold it, so when I saw this I bought it right away. Itís evident that this is from the original run because of the incorrect balance plug, thatís what the original had. And, my rudder rod was missing too. Maybe this was a put-away defective run they rediscovered?

Make a short extra rod and bind it to the tailwheel rod to connect the rudder. Thatís what the original had. I held the two rods together with a wheel collar, works fine.

Cut a notch in the bind plug socket so that your plug fits in. Again, itíll work fine.

It will fly, Iíve put a dozen flights on mine already. Just donít let it get too far away. Thereís not much body to keep an eye on!

Repainting is easy, the decals are water slide and pull off with painters tape. Youíll have a white canvas right away....
Jul 14, 2018, 01:46 PM
Thanks, appreciate the feedback. Interesting about some of the defects seemingly matching the original run. To give credit where due, after contacting HK customer service in NY about the various issues mine came with, they simply said they'd send a new one to me. I am unfortunately out of town for a couple weeks as it is being delivered so won't be around to see what it's like for a bit (and the wife isn't really interested in doing it for me ).
Aug 08, 2018, 09:25 AM
Currently the Auto G motor is out of stock at HK.
What would be an equivalent sized outrunner?
Thanks,
Bob
Sep 17, 2018, 09:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdmyers

Thanks!
I had all of the same issues that you mention. 4s plug for rotor motor and no tailwheel steering linkage. I am returning mine. I have seen enough.

Quick Reply