Three New Planes from Tower Hobbies - RC Groups

Three New Planes from Tower Hobbies

Tower Hobbies has three new electric RC planes on the way, one of which is coming out at the end of the month. The two others are due in May. They've covered a large group with these models including 3D Fun Fly style aerobatics, civilian scale and soaring. Read on below to find out more.

Splash

Tower Hobbies Brings Out Three New Planes

Tower Hobbies has three new electric RC planes on the way, one of which is coming out at the end of the month. The two others are due in May. They've covered a large group with these models including 3D Fun Fly style aerobatics, civilian scale and soaring. Read on below to find out more.

Tower Hobbies Piper Cherokee EP 43.2"

First up is the Piper Cherokee which was announced back in September. It's due to arrive later this month. Read the news article on that here.

Features, Requirements, and Specs:

• Construction: Built-up wood
  • Covering: High quality heat shrink film
  • Wheel Pants: Fiberglass
  • Cowl: Plastic
  • Brushless Motor: RimFire .10 35-30-1250Kv outrunner recommended
  • Electronic Speed Control: 35A
  • LiPo Battery: 3S 11.1V 2200-3200mAh
  • Radio: At least 4-channel with 4-channel receiver
  • Servos: Four micro
  • Propeller: APC 9.6E
  • Length: 33.8" (859mm)
  • Wingspan: 43.2" (1097mm)
  • Wing Area: 318 sq in (20.5 sq dm)
  • Wing Loading: 17.2 - 19.2 oz/sq ft (3.0 - 5.6 g/sq dm)
  • RTF Weight Range: 38 - 42.3 oz (1077 - 1199 g)
  • RTF Weight Less Battery: 31.7 oz (899 g)
  • Price: $99.99 ARF

Check out the new Cherokee Here

Tower Hobbies Slow Ride 3D EP ARF 63.5"

For the 3D guys, there is the Slow Ride. This bad boy was designed by Gary Wright and has brought praise from top pilots like Jason Shulman and Chip Hyde. You can get your hands on one in mid May.

• Construction: Lightweight, built-up wood
  • Control Surfaces: Double beveled to allow for maximum deflection
  • Landing Gear: Steerable tailwheel
  • Pre-built Wing, Fuselage and Tail Sections
  • Requires at least 5-channel with mixing capabilities
  • Requires four mini servos w/at least 84 oz-in (6.04 kg-cm) torque
  • Requires Brushless Motor: RimFire .28 brushless outrunner
  • Requires 60A Electronic Speed Control
  • Require 3S or 4S 2100-4000mAh 25C LiPo Battery
  • Wingspan: 63.5 in (1613 mm)
  • Length: 67.5 in (1715 mm)
  • Wing Area: 948 sq in (61.1 sq dm)
  • Wing Loading: 6.9-8.9 oz/sq ft (21-27 g/sq dm)
  • Weight: 46-59 oz (1304-1672 g)
  • Price: $149.99 ARF

Check out the new Slow Ride 3D Plane Here

Tower Hobbies Vista Grande EP Sailplane ARF 100"

For the sailplane guys there is the Vista Grande. This thing is pretty big with a 100" wingspan that will make hunting down thermals a joy. When you can't find any, the electric motor will be happy to carry it skyward for you. The Vista Grande will be available in late May.

• One-piece wing with plywood and aluminum joiner
  • High quality self-adhesive covering
  • RimFire .32 (42-50-800) motor included
  • 60A ESC included
  • Spinner: 2" (51mm) diameter
  • Propeller: 13.5 x 7 folding
  • Requires servos and receiver
  • Wingspan: 100" (2540mm)
  • Length: 49.5" (1257mm)
  • Wing Area: 616 sq in (39.7 sq dm)
  • Wing Loading: 14.1 - 15.7 oz/sq ft (43.0 - 47.9 g/sq dm)
  • Weight: 3.8 - 4.2lbs (1724 - 1905g)
  • Price: $169.99

Check out the Vista Grande Sailplane Here

Apr 06, 2018, 10:14 AM
A man with too many toys
Glad to see that here are some new quality wood kits on the market. Looks like the new owner, Horizon Hobbies, has seen the light.

I have mostly given up on foam in favor of wood. Looks like the trend has come full circle.
Remember those old magazine adds "Balsa Flies Better".
Apr 06, 2018, 10:23 AM
Electric_RC
The slow ride looks interesting however never heard of Rimfire .28. I think that is a mistake. Can anyone verify?
Apr 06, 2018, 10:30 AM
That's the right name. It's a new motor. It is the most perfect powerplane:airframe match I've ever seen. I've been watching Gary fly this at events for a year and it always impresses me.

Andy
Apr 06, 2018, 10:35 AM
Electric_RC
Cool, thanks.
Apr 06, 2018, 10:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobinseattle
The slow ride looks interesting however never heard of Rimfire .28. I think that is a mistake. Can anyone verify?
Rimfire 28 is a new motor. Small and light like the 25 but much lower KV so it can spin a large prop for LOTS of thrust. It was developed for the slowride,.. however, it wil have many other uses. From 3s up to 5s it works well . also can use a wide range of props due to the low KV.
Latest blog entry: blog
Apr 06, 2018, 10:42 AM
There is a small thread started on the sailplane in the sailplane forum. With a discussion on the specs not looking correct. I am hoping someone from Tower can confirm a typo on the specs.
Apr 06, 2018, 01:15 PM
Sagitta Fanboy
The spec in question is the wing area on the Vista Grande. No way it's 616 sq in at 100" span (that's less than a regular Vista).

Missing from this announcement is the new Tori 2.0 EP, a 2m e-glider they've also announced.
Apr 06, 2018, 03:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWRIGHT
Rimfire 28 is a new motor. Small and light like the 25 but much lower KV so it can spin a large prop for LOTS of thrust. It was developed for the slowride,.. however, it wil have many other uses. From 3s up to 5s it works well . also can use a wide range of props due to the low KV.
Gary is it similar to the $20 Tower motor you have been using?
Apr 06, 2018, 03:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz
That's the right name. It's a new motor. It is the most perfect powerplane:airframe match I've ever seen. I've been watching Gary fly this at events for a year and it always impresses me.

Andy
Hey Andy put a good word in for him. I enjoy his models and he is a heck of a pilot to boot!
Apr 06, 2018, 03:12 PM
I did that as soon as the meeting was over where they told us what to do for anybody we knew there, both good or bad. Obviously I put in a VERY good word for Gary. I don't know if it made any difference. I think Gary's background and personality would have been sufficient even if I hadn't. He'll be a good fit.

Andy
Apr 06, 2018, 03:17 PM
Awesome! Thanks Andy!
Apr 06, 2018, 03:22 PM
Andy, will the Tower products be listed on the Horizon web sites or wil they operate as separate entities?
Apr 06, 2018, 03:26 PM
I make transmitter software, not retail websites!!! I have no idea. Personally, I hope Tower's website continues unchanged. It's my go-to source for looking up parts, and once I find it there then I can use the Mfg P/N to search our website so I can put it on my employee order.

Andy
Apr 06, 2018, 04:35 PM
100% electric since 1990
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWRIGHT
Garry,

back at the 2003 NEAT fair I shot video of you flying a bunch of 3d planes. I remember you had a variety of larger, very light 3d planes with geared inrunners turning large props. What amazed me was that you were flying at something like 100 watts/lb or 150 watts/lb. Even for 2003, that was under powered for 3d. But you were saying that if you use a large enough diameter prop, with a light wing loading, and an efficient setup, you can 3d at 100 watts/lb.

I'm interested in seeing video of the Slowride (take it easy)

Quick Reply