DLG Flys Over 200 Miles!!!

Two years ago RCGroups member MStauning was out flying his JJ Edge DLG and he lost it. You won't believe where it was found 2 years later.

Splash

How Far Can Your Plane Fly?

Two years ago RCGroups member MStauning was out flying his JJ Edge DLG and he lost it. He thought it was gone forever, but as the saying goes, "if you love something, set it free. If it comes back it was meant to be." Well two years later, it did come back and you won't believe where it was found.

Someone found his DLG 350Km away from the original launch site!!! That's over 200 miles and one heck of a long flight for a little glider. How did this happen? The prevailing theory is that a boomer of a thermal grabbed it and sucked it up all the way into the jet stream which then carried the plane aloft for the rest of the journey. Check out the photos below along with the map view showing the distance covered. It's a crazy story and we're glad no property or personal injury resulted in the crash.

Keep up with this story and the JJ Edge DLG on the main thread here.

Apr 05, 2018, 02:09 PM
If it's R/C, I LIKE IT!
Holy smokes! I'm guessing he must've had his contact info on it somewhere...
Latest blog entry: 93" AJ Laser 230z
Apr 05, 2018, 02:23 PM
That’s pretty awesome! Hope there’s a follow up to show it flying again!
Apr 05, 2018, 06:31 PM
Wow. If Dlg’s could talk, what a story this one could tell.
Apr 06, 2018, 04:34 PM
Chasin' that Neon Rainbow
350 ks line of sight, probably 1000 klms flight path. Lucky it didn't head out over the ocean. (well it may have for a while ) It looks like a cow has stood on the tailfeathers.
Apr 06, 2018, 10:08 PM
Kyle Clayton
Still completely crazy it made it that far unassisted and with no one at the controls, 350km isn't exactly easy to do in a full scale glider with way better glide ratio and performance when you're trying to go that far!
Latest blog entry: Helios and XXLite DLG
Apr 07, 2018, 12:09 AM
Gliders ain't drones!
Good thing this guy wasn't in the U.S. He would have gotten his glider back plus a $28,000 fine from the FAA for exceeding the 400' ceiling limit.

-= Dave
Apr 07, 2018, 04:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenmaniac
Good thing this guy wasn't in the U.S. He would have gotten his glider back plus a $28,000 fine from the FAA for exceeding the 400' ceiling limit.

-= Dave
What you are referring to as a "400' ceiling" does not exist in law unless you are registered as part 107. For hobbyist (336) we are merely advised to stay under 400 (AC-91-57A) and the AMA safety code provides guidance for going above it.
Apr 07, 2018, 11:27 AM
Now that was a well-trimmed DLG!
Apr 07, 2018, 03:17 PM
forward swept peg installer
That would have been one very long walk/swim of shame on the land-out.

It would have been really cool if an altimeter was on it during practice and the data was downloaded to see the altitude track of it.

I hope he gets it flying again as I really want to see a video and pics of it back in the air. Thanks for sharing the story.
Apr 09, 2018, 01:30 AM
Wake up, feel pulse, be happy!
resulted from
Latest blog entry: Park pattern/pylon perfection!
Apr 10, 2018, 01:41 PM
Technology enthusiast
Amazing story!
Apr 10, 2018, 02:15 PM
Now that is a very cool story .
I would love to hear how he came to get it back.
Apr 10, 2018, 02:17 PM
I have a friend that lost his explorer two years ago when he lost radio contact .It just keep going up and flew away on a heading north east from our sod farm in Johnson CO. Ks.Check you battery.
Apr 10, 2018, 02:28 PM
I wonder how that someone 350KM away located the owner?

Lesson learned. We need to put GPS in our RC. Wish he had a camera on board to record the whole journey.

Quick Reply