This thread is privately moderated by UpNup, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Apr 04, 2018, 08:09 PM
Who are these that fly?
Thread OP
Build Log

Ford Flivver - Tail Braces / Rigging

The Ford Flivver plans call for operational braces between the rudder (fin) and elevator (stabilizer).

I looked at three options including Kevlar csbles, some flimsy metal wire, and then .025” gauge piano wire. The wire was required by Dereck Woodward, the plan designer.

The Catch was affixing the wires to the plane. When I built the frame, I chose to put 1/64” plywood rectangles in place and pre-drilling the screw holes. The tiny black screws were salvaged from a Toshiba Netbook that I destroyed when it died. I put Monokote over the ply bases.

Looking at various posts by builders I could solder or perhaps find something to affix the wires. The answer was something in the electrical department 16-24 .25” male disconnects. I removed the blue plastic covers and bent the aluminum to fit and had to enlarge the holes.

My linesman’s pliers crimped wires cut to size. I hit every crimp with red Locktite thread lock (glue). I put a drop of CA into the screw holes on the plane.
to remove ads between posts

Quick Reply