H-King Bonsai II EPP Wing

HobbyKing released a new version of the Bonsai flying wing that is simply called the Bonsai II. It comes in 3 bright colors that make it easy to see and the graphics look great on this model.

Splash

New Wing - New Colors

HobbyKing released a new version of the Bonsai flying wing that is simply called the Bonsai II. It comes in 3 bright colors that make it easy to see and the graphics look great on this model. The servos are already installed making the assembly faster and easier. They changed the motor mount to carbon fiber for strength and durability and the hardware has been updated too. The power system has been revamped and you'll want to bring your own 2S 1000mAH battery to power it.

It can fly outfitted as just a sport wing or you can add some FPV gear for a first person view perspective. It's small, light, agile and makes for a really fun inexpensive flying wing at just $74.20. They are in stock right now, see the link below for more info.

Check out the H-King Bonsai II EPP Wing Here

Apr 05, 2018, 02:57 PM
Nuthin

Bonsai II

These look great! Are are they 2s only? I want one I can run 3-4s in. I have 1 in my cart now but I'd really like a kit in red. I built 2 of the original ones and loved them. Will a kit be available?
Apr 05, 2018, 06:39 PM
💩
One great thing about the old version was that it came as a kit without any electronics. There are so many motor and prop and battery choices available depending on what you want. I have 4 of the original version and each of the 4 is nothing like the rest since they were all built dependent on what I was wanting. Another great thing about buying a kit is that many of us already have electronics laying around for it, we certainly don't need to buy any more

Kit version please
Apr 06, 2018, 11:25 AM
Man Of Badgers
I loved my Bonsai, and these look like worthwhile upgrades. I too would like to see a kit version!
Apr 21, 2018, 08:08 AM
DominicM
Fun flying ours for the first time. Gave my buddy Al the responsibility and he crashed it straight away. No better test of its durability I guess.

H-KING BONSAI II EPP FPV RC flying wing: ESSENTIAL RC FLIGHT TEST (8 min 56 sec)
May 05, 2018, 08:23 PM
Suspended Account
I need to get me one
Last edited by Mikey 68; May 05, 2018 at 08:30 PM.
May 05, 2018, 08:25 PM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by darexbone
These look great! Are are they 2s only? I want one I can run 3-4s in. I have 1 in my cart now but I'd really like a kit in red. I built 2 of the original ones and loved them. Will a kit be available?
Get yourself a Team Legit wing if you want 3 or 4s
http://team-legit.com/Team-Legits-In...gs_p_1508.html
May 21, 2018, 11:13 AM
Suspended Account
I did end of buying one but wasnt happy with it, was rather heavy then the V1 , I dont do FPV so I had to add a 1oz of nose weight using 2s 850mah lipos, if you buy one get some 3s lipos so you dont need dead weight. The weight seems to come from the motor mount. I think there was to much to it for a simple small wing . Also having the servos further out on the wing made them behind the cg . Would make a good speed wing though
Jul 18, 2018, 01:06 PM
Nuthin
Ok cool, the kits are out in yellow, blue and orange. I'm getting a blue one and a Galaxy kit just for giggles.
Oct 17, 2018, 08:22 PM
well,

I got the kit version.

first impression epp foam looks tuff. looks real simple to build. Upon further inspection I see the trailing edge is 1/4 inch thick and the leading edge is sharp. I guess they did this to make it durable but why the sharp leading edge. Anyways got rid of the sloppy adjustable screw stile clevises and bent some heavy wire to fit the huge hole into the weak elevon control horns. not sure why you have a heavy clevis on a lightened carbon control horn on an epp wing? I did this to get rid of any slop as the wire is heavy so didn't lose any weight.

I wasn't going to build this and just call it a loss because of the way it was designed didn't make much sense to me. but I wanted a flyer I could leave in the car an get beat from hanger rash and something small and cheap so I decided to fix and fly.

I am building now only thing I will change is the clevises if it flies like I want.. I well replace the horns if they get broken and put small wire control rods in.

I don't like to give bad reviews but I got to be honest also.. there is probably a reason why they designed it the way they did just not understanding it.

later andrew K
Oct 19, 2018, 12:20 AM
Nuthin
I just built one for a friend and it was a pita to build light. He's just learning and wanted a slow light wing for his first. I based it around an Emaxx 1306 3300kv w 5030 prop on 2s to start, with the ability to go 3s later. I thought 500mah would balance it but nope. In mock up it took 1000mah to JUST get it on cg. I ended up cutting new servo pockets as close to root as possible and ahead of the spars w 5gr servos, putting new horns all the way inboard on the elevons and making cf rods for the lightness. Still was tail heavy. I then stuck a strip of extreme tape over the portion of the LE in front of cg and covered that w 3mil doculam for the toughness and ballast. It still took 14gr lead or an 800mah batt to get it to fly without being pitchy.
I'd love to know how your build goes!
Oct 19, 2018, 10:27 PM
Well,

Ya hard to get proper cg. Mines a tank coming in at 9.5 oz. I had to ditch the hxt900s for some lighter turnigy d56mg and some lite servo wire rods with plastic clevis. To do this I had to make knew control horns as holes are huge on originals, I could have redrilled old ones with relocated hole but they seemed really weak to my liking.

Did not like battery hanging down so removed camera mount cut hole for battery all the way through the top attached new piece of thin plywood to bottom with glue , covered with fibered tape and reinstalled strap. Battery sits in the wing now and sticks out the top.

Since I had totally redid plane i decided to turn servos on there sides and get them inside wing.

So much for installing hardware and go fly. Next time i will buy a kit wing.

On a positive note the stiffness of this EPP wing without covering is crazy good. And I'm pleased so far with the build other then the fact it wasn't supposed to be a build.

Later Andrew k

Quick Reply