Apr 03, 2018, 04:55 PM
Diver-driver
Build Log

Peter Rake 18in Cessna 165 Airmaster

Canít have too many builds going at the same time canít we?

But I really couldnít pass this one up! Peter posted a week ago a couple of new micro planes on hipppocket aeronautics plans gallery. And while Iím not a huge Cessna fan there is something special about the 165 big radial, quite massive landing gear and tube and fabric fuselage. Itís a very nice looking bird I never knew existed !

So.. here goes another the build

The structure is practically identical to the Waco SRE, and after cutting the parts with my router the framing is progressing rapidly.

4 hours into the build the wings are basically finished and the forward part of the fuselage is built getting the block balsa padding around the cowl area
Last edited by meatbomber; Apr 04, 2018 at 04:32 AM. Reason: damn phone autocorrection mangling what i write
to remove ads between posts
Apr 04, 2018, 04:26 AM
I'm hoping you've missed out the fuselage width from that because my CAD files shows span at a hint over 18".
I had horrible visions of none of the equipment fitting.

Pete
Apr 04, 2018, 04:32 AM
Diver-driver
Ha that must have been it, forgot to add the fuselage width, it was late a bit
Apr 04, 2018, 09:58 AM
Phew! That's a relief.
Apr 04, 2018, 12:15 PM
Diver-driver
Getting all the curvy bits done before dinner
Apr 05, 2018, 04:38 AM
Diver-driver
Framing the tail surfaces done and the wings finished.
The cowl is also shaped, just missing all those pesky little bumps, anyone got a good idea how to make those ?
Bottom cowl still needs shaping and the battery hatch needs manufacture. Can start on the tail now
Apr 05, 2018, 09:34 AM
The Junk Man
Quote:
Originally Posted by meatbomber
The cowl is also shaped, just missing all those pesky little bumps, anyone got a good idea how to make those ?
1. Takes some plasticine (kid's modeling clay), roll it out flat into a pancake shape about 1/4" or so thick.

2. Shape a piece of hardwood to the correct cowl blister shape

3. Glue a "stem" onto the back side of the hardwood blister shape.

4. Using the stem as a handle, press the blister shape into the clay pancake for as many blisters as needed plus extra.

5. Fill resulting clay impressions with thickened epoxy. Remove from clay after it sets.

Tom
Apr 05, 2018, 09:53 AM
Diver-driver
Cool thanks I’ll try that way
Apr 05, 2018, 02:57 PM
Diver-driver
Got the tail framed up and a mock-up finally with all the bits together.

I had a UMX F4u Corsair thatís given up its motor and brick for this model, the Airframe alone weights now 18g and with all the pieces on the scale including wheels and battery (70mAh) Iím now at 32g.. so I fear it will top the scales at around 40g when finished. The Comper Swift with the same wingspan weighs only 30g finished but has a much weaker motor.
Apr 05, 2018, 04:34 PM
Look like you're really enjoying the cutter and putting it to good use.
Probably an obvious method for blisters as molded parts, but they're really simple at the small size. I molded 18 of them using a Bic lighter to heat the small plastic sheets and then pull them over the mold, in 5 minutes. Cutting them out with scissors takes a bit more time, but not difficult. After cutting them close, they deck down with a sanding block quickly.
Apr 06, 2018, 01:18 AM
Diver-driver
Also very nice method, what size is that Arado ?
Apr 06, 2018, 05:00 AM
Phillip,
Is it possible to arrange a bit more dihedral? Looking at your model made me realise how little dihedral the plan shows. An easy fix on the drawing, possibly not so simple on your model.
Maybe a wedge shaped root rib and additional wedges below F4A?

I wouldn't worry about hitting 40 grams, my rough estimate for these models is 50 grams max. and I know they'll fly heavier than that.

Pete
Apr 06, 2018, 05:35 AM
Diver-driver
Adding dihedral shouldn’t be a problem, how much would you suggest ?
With the wings just loose assembled it looks less than it actually is tho, I can make a pic with the root ribs clamped to see how much it actually is.
Apr 06, 2018, 07:03 AM
I'd suggest at least 1/2" each side, maybe a little more. According to the CAD drawing it's only about 0.3" at the moment, measured under the outer rib

Pete.
Apr 08, 2018, 04:52 PM
Diver-driver
Got the battery hatch finished, making use of a bunch of 1mm diameter magnets. Itís probably the best hatch Iíve made so far but considering how bad the others where thatís pretty easy

Getting close to covering stage, the fuselage needs only the tail wheel block installation and a light construction in the cockpit roof where the roof Windows are. And also the padding around the gear legs, which because they are curved Iím not yet sure how to make.

Quick Reply