Hitec Multiplex FunRay - RCGroups Review

Hitec/Multiplex has become a household name in the world of RC due to extremely high quality and innovation. They are at it again with the release of the new FunRay Sport Sailplane! With its sleek lines and aerobatic performance, it's sure to turn the head of the hard-core glider enthusiast as well as the most advanced aerobatic pilots. Let's check it out!

Splash

Hitec/Multiplex FunRay Sport Sailplane

Product:Hitec/Multiplex FunRay
Retail price:$449.99
Wing Span:78.75 in (1700mm)
Length:48.42 in (1230mm)
Weight:63oz (1790g)
Class:Glider / Aerobatics
Motor:Pre-Installed ROXXY C35-48-990kv Brushless Outrunner Motor
ESC:Pre-Installed ROXXY BL-Control 755 S-BEC
Servos:6x Pre-Installed Hitec HS-65HB Servos
Batteries used:Pulse 3s 2200MaH And Pulse 4s 2250MaH
Radio Used:Hitec Aurora 9x
Receiver Used:Hitec Optima 7
Available from:Hitec/Multiplex

The new Hitec/Multiplex FunRay Sport Sailplane is a great looking, aerobatic sport glider with fantastic flight characteristics. Its sporty looks and performance are bound to become a quick favorite of both the glider enthusiast and the sport aerobatic pilots out there looking for a quick building, great flying sport airframe that can also be a lazy day cruiser.

Constructed of Multiplex ELAPOR® foam, it is sturdy enough to put up with all the hard-core aerobatic shenanigans you can throw at it and will soon become one of the favorite gliders in your hanger.

Let's jump right in with Mean Joe and see how the new Hitec/Multiplex Funray Sport Sailplane checks out!

On the Bench

The Hitec/Multiplex FunRay showed up at the shop packed well and in great condition. It only took me a few minutes to get it unpacked and ready for inspection.

This being the receiver ready version, calling this a "build" is a little bit of an overstatement. The elevator halves plug into the fuselage using a locking tab construction and everything lined up and fit perfectly with no issue. This setup will also allow for simple disassembly and reassembly at the field if you are tight on space for transport.

The rudder assembly uses a locking pin type hinge construction. I really like this a lot! With no hinges and no alignments to worry about at all, it literally took seconds to install the rudder to the airframe. Very cool indeed!

After installation of the control surfaces, it was a short road to completing the rest of the build. I did have to take just a small amount of material off at the front of the fuselage behind the backplate assembly. Mine was rubbing the backplate once I had gotten everything installed. What I did was carefully shave just a bit of material off a little at a time until it fit correctly with a razor blade. Please be very careful with this step if yours requires the same adjustment. We want to keep all of our digits attached! lol

The only other thing I will point out is that you may want to hold off on the installation of the ball bearing ballast at the aft of the fuselage. Depending on which battery set up you end up using, you may or may not need the extra weight in the rear. It is an easy install so you can do that very last after you see if you need it or not. Just a little medium CA or Foam Tac on the end cap and she is all set. I tested both the 3s and 4s setup and found that in my case I could have simply left the ball bearing out. I did have to add just a bit of nose weight to balance since I didn't leave it out of my build.

Because of all the different battery connectors I already have on hand and use, I did go ahead and swap out the included M6 connector with a "T" style connector so that I can use my available packs easily. For anyone familiar with soldering connectors, it's a quick process.

The rest of the build went very quickly with no issue at all. With its "quick-connect" wings it goes together in a snap. I got the Hitec Optima 7 RX all plugged in and set up on my Hitec Aurora 9x in no time at all.

At the Field

Now that we have her all put together let's head out to the field and see how she does.

Once I had the "quick connect" wings installed, the first thing I noticed was how sporty this airframe looks. Having her out in the sun really sets off the great color scheme and graphics on this bird. The color scheme is very cool and the overall look of the Hitec/Multiplex FunRay is just outstanding. You can really tell they took a great deal of time to make it look as sporty as possible, and she looks great in the air.

One of the added features that really stood out to me was the extra work they did on the canopy hatch. They took the time to cover it with a type of covering that really makes it look great, and at the same time offers a lot of extra rigidity so it will last a long time. The look of it just really makes this sport aerobatic glider stand out in a crowd.

The only small issue I ran into once at the field was that the wings are just a little tough to get lined up so that you can insert the pin. There isn't really and good surface area to be able to get a good grip to get them seated. It wasn't a big deal, but it did take me a few extra seconds to get everything lined up. Just be careful you don't break the wings while installing.

Flight Report

First thing I want to say right off the bat is WOW...does the Hitec/Multiplex FunRay fly fantastically! I started out on a Pulse 3s 2200Mah pack and put her through her paces. With a quick hand launch, the Hitec/Multiplex FunRay sprang to life in the early spring air. With only just a few clicks of trim, she was on the straight and narrow. On the 3s pack climb out was quite snappy and it had no issue at all climbing to altitude in only a few seconds.

After a few "get to know ya" passes, it was time to open her up and see how she does. On 3s she is more than capable to handle all the sport aerobatic maneuvers you can throw her way. The Hitec/Multiplex FunRay handled all the hammerheads, knife edges, 4-point rolls, rolls, and loops with ease. I noticed no bad tendencies at all.

Once I had gone through all the aerobatic stuff it was time to slow her down and see how she soars. I am happy to report that the Hitec/Multiplex FunRay slows down very nicely. I can see the hard-core glider/slope soaring folks out there really enjoying the flight times you will be able to get with some good updrafts and thermals to work with. The Hitec/Multiplex FunRay does have some weight on her on the hand but in the air, she really flies light. In the right conditions, I can see getting very long flight times out of this airframe. I was able to get 8-10 minute flight times bringing the Lipo down to about 20% and that was with a lot of under power aerobatics.

So with the 3s testing out of the way its time to jump up to the Pulse 4s 2250 packs. Man does this bird come alive on 4s! Again with a quick hand launch, she leaped into the air with ease, and that's where the comparison stops. Now that it literally has an unlimited verticle in only a matter of a few seconds I went straight up and was cruising at 400ft. The Hitec/Multiplex FunRay just loves the 4s setup. The aerobatic portion of the testing was snappy and perfectly on track. The 4s option really opens up the aerobatic envelope and she just jumps to life. Low fast passes are a blast both with the motor on and with the motor off. With the side vents, the sound that comes off of the Hitec/Multiplex FunRay with the motors off is awesome. Anyone that has ever flown this type of airframe knows just the sound I mean. That whooshing sound as it passes by is just hard to beat. With the 4s I was getting shorter flight times primarily because I was doing a whole lot of straight up vertical assents to hammerhead followed by full-on high-speed low passes. I am quite sure without all the shenanigans I would have comparable flight times to the 3s setup.

Review Video

Hitec Multiplex Funray - RCGroups Video Review (5 min 57 sec)

In Closing

In closing, I have to say that the Hitec/Multiplex FunRay Sport Sailplane is a sleek looking, great flying sport aerobatic sailplane that will have both the glider enthusiasts as well as even the experienced aerobatic pilots turning their heads to check out this awesome airframe. Its modern, great looking graphics coupled with its wide aerobatic envelope are going to soon be a hit at field and flying clubs all over. Whether you are in the mood for some fast speed precision aerobatic maneuvers, or just some lazy day thermal soaring, the Hitec/Multiplex FunRay will have you covered. For anyone in the market for a great flying sport sailplane, look no further than the Hitec/Multiplex FunRay! ~Mean Joe

Last edited by Mean Joe Vermillion; Apr 04, 2018 at 11:07 AM..
Apr 04, 2018, 08:53 AM
From the Specification Sheet above:
Price: $449.99
Wingspan: 78.75 inches (1700 mm)
Weight 63 ounces (1790 grams)

$149.99 maybe, but $449.99 is way overpriced
78.75 inches is 2000 mm, not 1700 mm
Unless you desire a heavily-ballasted slope plane, 63 ounces is way to heavy for a 2 meter glider

Perhaps something was lost in translation
Apr 04, 2018, 10:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob J

I don't think you can find a ready-to-fly 80" wingspan glider for $149.

The FunRay has 6 HS-65HB servos in it... that's $120 in servos by themselves!
Apr 04, 2018, 10:19 AM
If it's R/C, I LIKE IT!
Then buy the kit for $240 and put cheap components in it, and then be sad that it doesn't perform well.
Latest blog entry: 93" AJ Laser 230z
Apr 04, 2018, 10:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob J
From the Specification Sheet above:
Price: $449.99
Wingspan: 78.75 inches (1700 mm)
Weight 63 ounces (1790 grams)

78.75 inches is 2000 mm, not 1700 mm
Unless you desire a heavily-ballasted slope plane, 63 ounces is way to heavy for a 2 meter glider

Perhaps something was lost in translation
Retail of the FunRay RR is $449.99 with free shipping in the continental US, exclusively from Weekender Warehouse:

http://www.weekenderwarehouse.com/funray/

There is no foam RR 2m sailplane on this planet that compares to the level of engineering and the high quality finish of the Multiplex FunRay RR, not to mention the performance capabilities and the extremely high quaity components already pre-installed. Ontop of this, there are import duties and fees associated with importing Multiplex aircraft from Germany. These costs are passed along to the consumers, the price tag is more than justified with all of this in consideration
Apr 05, 2018, 04:12 AM
If it flies - I want one!

3S or 4S?

Xpress,
I notice that the manual specifies a 3S pack for the FunRay, and the review above tested also with 4S.
What is the official advice on this - will 4S with the factory prop assembly take any of the components past their limits?
If so, is there a prop recommendation for 4S?
Also, on the spinner clearance from the fuselage - most of the electric soarers I have set up will foul this way, and rather than trim the fuselage it is probably simpler to use a 1mm or so spacer when tightening the prop assembly, then remove it once locked? A small tongue of ply or a couple of layers of thin card work fine.
Cheers,
PeteM
Apr 05, 2018, 05:10 AM
for not that much more you can get THIS:
http://flugplatz.tangent-modelltechn...elektro-design

And yes this used to be the Multiplex gliders
Apr 05, 2018, 08:04 AM
Its all point of view i guess. If gliders are you thing its probably a good 'half-price' glider compared to F3 planes....If your looking for something relaxing to add to the fleet of warbirds and helis maybe its overpriced for you and you need something more basic.
Apr 05, 2018, 10:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petem
Xpress,
I notice that the manual specifies a 3S pack for the FunRay, and the review above tested also with 4S.
What is the official advice on this - will 4S with the factory prop assembly take any of the components past their limits?
If so, is there a prop recommendation for 4S?
Also, on the spinner clearance from the fuselage - most of the electric soarers I have set up will foul this way, and rather than trim the fuselage it is probably simpler to use a 1mm or so spacer when tightening the prop assembly, then remove it once locked? A small tongue of ply or a couple of layers of thin card work fine.
Cheers,
PeteM
It's been tested on 4S and seems to work perfectly fine as a stock out of the box RR airplane.

The trimming of the foam is not something that is heard of prior to this review. To tell you the truth, it's surprising to see that Joe had to do this as we've not heard of one single FunRay issue to date. Not everything is going to be 100% perfect as there are some hand assembled components. Most likely what happened was the motor mount was glued ~1mm too far back. Otherwise the airplanes have been just about perfect

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmulder
for not that much more you can get THIS:

Does this airplane come with electronics preinstalled? If so that's a great bargain, provided the airplane is actually in stock
Last edited by Xpress..; Apr 05, 2018 at 06:10 PM.
Apr 05, 2018, 05:32 PM
If it flies - I want one!
OK, thank you. Have been drooling over this for a while - as a good all-rounder, it could replace several slope and general-purpose aircraft in my fleet (Excalibur, Phoenix 200 etc).
Cheers,
PeteM
Apr 10, 2018, 04:10 PM
I have the E-Fun 85" Origin sail plane to fly this summer. I have built a dolly to launch it and hope it works well.
Apr 10, 2018, 04:28 PM
“FLY THE PLANE”

Yes!

I’ll be picking one of these up for sure. Looks stiff for a foamy and that is most of the battle with these kind of planes.

I’ll DS this one and I bet I can safely go 50-75mph and it may hit 80+mph.

Top shelf foam/construction on this one.

Btw. PKZ KA8 56mph. Multiplex Merlin 67mph.

P
Apr 10, 2018, 06:18 PM
I'm not the pivot man
Quote:
cmulder sadi: for not that much more you can get THIS:

Not really. That plane would be roughly 107 USD more and then add in at least 60 USD for shipping.
Apr 11, 2018, 10:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky Angels
I’ll be picking one of these up for sure. Looks stiff for a foamy and that is most of the battle with these kind of planes.

I’ll DS this one and I bet I can safely go 50-75mph and it may hit 80+mph.

Top shelf foam/construction on this one.

Btw. PKZ KA8 56mph. Multiplex Merlin 67mph.

P
Its glide speed is in the high 80-100mph range from a good downline, it'll definitely DS much faster than that!!
Apr 13, 2018, 05:06 AM
“FLY THE PLANE”

We will see

The bending forces are the issue in DS (G’s). Raw speed in free fall is not very strenuous on the AF. It’s more of a rigidity and resilience to flutter while under strain.

It looks like the best one yet from you guys. I’m excited!

P

Quick Reply