Jul 15, 2019, 03:56 PM
You have to adjust the charge voltage of your lead acid battery in the menu: "Input Power Limit" under "Regen. Voltage Limit".

For a lead acid battery, the end-of-charge voltage is 2.40V / cell. With a 12V battery (6 cells) that is then 14.4V.

Set the charge current for the lead acid battery under "Regen. Current Limit". It is usually 1/10C of the battery capacity.

So if you do not have a very large lead acid battery, you can only feed back into the lead acid battery with little power. Lead acid batteries do not tolerate high charging currents and are therefore not suitable for high-power regenerative discharges.

You set the discharge current for your Li ion batteries in the "LIPO DISCHARGE SETUP". Here you have to select "To Input" in "Regenerative Mode".
With which current your LiIonen battery then actually discharges, depends on the charge current for the lead acid battery.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 16, 2019, 07:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RNFLY
You have to adjust the charge voltage of your lead acid battery in the menu: "Input Power Limit" under "Regen. Voltage Limit".

For a lead acid battery, the end-of-charge voltage is 2.40V / cell. With a 12V battery (6 cells) that is then 14.4V.

Set the charge current for the lead acid battery under "Regen. Current Limit". It is usually 1/10C of the battery capacity.

So if you do not have a very large lead acid battery, you can only feed back into the lead acid battery with little power. Lead acid batteries do not tolerate high charging currents and are therefore not suitable for high-power regenerative discharges.

You set the discharge current for your Li ion batteries in the "LIPO DISCHARGE SETUP". Here you have to select "To Input" in "Regenerative Mode".
With which current your LiIonen battery then actually discharges, depends on the charge current for the lead acid battery.

That's not true. Cars for example just charge with constant voltage, which means 14.4 all the time. The batterie's IR is the limit then.

Also, for AGM batteries, end charge voltage is 14.7V, then back to 13.8V 'storage voltage'

Boost charge possible up to 16V for a short while Mmicro hybrid cars (those with start-stop) do that to boost charge the battery while driving down a hill, sorta recuperation.

For sure this does not exceed the batterie's life time, but sure does not hurt too much. Mine is from 2012 and still does fine (2nd life AGM car battery)
Jul 16, 2019, 07:28 AM
"You set the discharge current for your Li ion batteries in the "LIPO DISCHARGE SETUP". Here you have to select "To Input" in "Regenerative Mode". your on to something there. i don't have time to test it now (life is getting in the way of my hobbies). i'll have time tomorrow though and get back with you on it. seems i paid to much attention to the video and not enough to the manual.
Jul 16, 2019, 09:35 AM
@SirDomsen

Sure - you can also charge faster. This is then at the expense of life. (Although I think that would have to tolerate the battery at the start of charging well, if it does not begin to gas strong.).

On the other hand, you should never discharge lead batteries deeply, so depending on the type not more than 50%. In this way, when charging faster with higher charging currents, the charging end voltage is quickly reached again (CV-phase), which reduces the charging current and thus the charging power at times.
I just wanted to dampen big expectations.
Jul 16, 2019, 09:58 AM
Not sure which resistance you need, or if it even works with those specific chargers but this type braking resistor is recommended

https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/bBdwDr7a
Jul 16, 2019, 03:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RNFLY
@SirDomsen

Sure - you can also charge faster. This is then at the expense of life. (Although I think that would have to tolerate the battery at the start of charging well, if it does not begin to gas strong.).

On the other hand, you should never discharge lead batteries deeply, so depending on the type not more than 50%. In this way, when charging faster with higher charging currents, the charging end voltage is quickly reached again (CV-phase), which reduces the charging current and thus the charging power at times.
I just wanted to dampen big expectations.
Sorry for my ignorance, I forgot to mention that the boost (high voltage) charge is better to avoid on wet lead acid batteries, due to gasing. I somehow was assuming you were talking about gel/AGM batteries

Btw, those have much more possible cycles, even if discharged quite deeply (around 11V).

Wet batteries are just crap in my experience, no matter which brand you use. Everything you mentioned is true here
Jul 16, 2019, 08:43 PM
rnfly, you were correct. i can now regen discharge, thank you. next problem. i can only connect up the first 6 balance wires, when i connect the 7th wire the wire becomes very hot. i can charge and discharge with just the first 6 though. kind of crazy, first x8 died on me within days, the second one will only balance charge 6 cells instead of 8. not so sure this is the best charger on the market.
Jul 17, 2019, 08:59 AM
I'm a bit confused with your description of the balancer connector.
How can you individually plug balancer leads?
If you plug in for example a 6s battery, which has a 7 pin balancer connector, it will automatically contact all 7 pins.

I rather suspect that you want to charge e.g. 2pcs 3s rechargeable batteries?

You must not put this directly next to each other into the Balancer Connector of the charger!!

For this you need either a suitable serial balancer board.
For example, something like this:
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-...-board-xh.html
(That's for a 10s charger).

However, even with the appropriate serial Balancer board, you can easily swap the connections and thus create a short circuit!

Therefore my advice for a better way, if you want to charge several batteries at the same time:
Use a Parallel Chargeboard:
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/hobbykin...2-6s-xt60.html

Please describe exactly what batteries you like how to connect, before you simply try without asking!
Jul 17, 2019, 02:47 PM
i've attached 2 photos to help explain. one photo is to show the balance port the other to show the wiring.
starting from the left i attach one balance wire at a time. everything works, when i get to balance line 7 it seems to be shorting out. i have a 8s0p battery. this is just so i can test the x8. latter i want to use it with a 8s12p battery. in the balance port wiring photo i show a plus and minus sign, the - goes to the neg of the first cell on the left, normally the + sign would go to the positive on the 8th battery but since i can get past balance line 7 i have it going to the postive of cell six. so a really am using an 6s0p battery because of balance line 7. keep in mind this 6s0p battery works, i can balance discharge and charge it. just can't add the last 2 cells. sorry if i sound confusing, i'm really tired.
Jul 17, 2019, 03:33 PM
Will the balancing cable from the seventh cell also get hot, if you do not connect the + main charging cable, but only the balancer cable to the eighth pin of the balancer connector?
And what does the single cell voltage display at cell no. 7 show?
Jul 17, 2019, 03:53 PM
You could also check the balancer connector of the charger with a single cell in succession by connecting this cell first to pins 1 and 2, then to pins 2 and 3 and so on...;. without the main charging cable. Then the single-cell voltage reading of this cell in the charger should move from position 1 to position 8 one after the other.
Jul 17, 2019, 04:02 PM
cell number 7 was showing the wrong voltage. cell was at 4.0 volts but was displaying 2.5
Jul 17, 2019, 04:10 PM
retested cell 7 without the main charge cable. displayed 2.1 at position 7 and the wire started becoming hot, i believe there to be a short circuit somewhere. triple checked the position 7 wire, nothing wrong. tested the cell at position 7 with a voltmeter. it has 3.9 volts
Jul 17, 2019, 04:25 PM
Then it looks like the charger is really broken again.

Then I have to apologize to you, because I initially suspected a serial connection error by the operator. And I have never heard of a short circuit on Balancer connection something.
Then you have no choice but to complain to the supplier again.
Good luck!
Jul 17, 2019, 04:53 PM
i'm in talks with my supplier now. this is a different one than the first time. price was only 88 dollars instead of the normal 120 - 130 (i think he thought it was an x6 at first). anyway his price now is 130 like everyone else. he has offered me a 30 dollar refund and i get to keep the charger. i accepted the offer because to me its more like i got a x6 for 50 dollars. i like the unit and as long as i just use the charger like an x6 instead of an x8 everything seems to work (for now). but i won't use this charger for anything serious. and i won't purchase another x8. i'm going to come at the charging problem a different way. i'll post in a new thread because it doesn't have anything to do with the x8. i hope everyone takes a look at it. i value this forums advice.

Quick Reply