This thread is privately moderated by burkefj, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Mar 31, 2018, 11:07 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

HABU RC rocket glider

I decided to work up a new kit version of my SR-71 profile I did a few years ago, to use a split tube above and below the fuse/wing profile and do tubes for the nacelles but just do them on the top to save tail weight. The SR-71 has very little of the nacelle below the wing line in any case. I worked with a local rc club mate to do some 3-d printed intake cones that have flow through, and some top and bottom pieces for the cockpit and battery access in the front. I've done three versions, an SR-71 version, an A-12 single cockpit CIA version where I used sharpie pen to make the wing corrugations and panel lines before spraying silver, and a one off version of a YF-12 interceptor. On the YF-12 instead of splitting the tube I slotted it so that the normal nose cone would fit into the tube, because of this the chines are a bit shorter than scale.

The first two kit runs are sold. 39" long, 21.5" wingspan, 13.25 oz rtf using a 24mm E-6 rocket motor. This kit is about 15% larger than the old hobbylab kit, with 33% more wing area at about the same flight weight. Instructions so you can see how it went together at: http://dynasoarrocketry.com/?page_id=1424

Some videos, the last video was an early prototype without markings, but that I was able to do two carrier type arrestor hook landings with

Dynasoar Rocketry HABU/A-12 rocket glider kit flights (2 min 59 sec)

RC YF-12 Rocket glider flight (1 min 20 sec)

Dynasoar Rocketry HABU RC rocket glider kit flight (1 min 1 sec)

Dynasoar Rocketry HABU RC rocket glider SR-71 (2 min 41 sec)
to remove ads between posts
Apr 01, 2018, 05:21 PM
Nice flights. Time for an F motor.
Apr 04, 2018, 04:04 PM
Thread OP
The problem with this thought is that there are no long burn f motors suitable for glider use in the 24mm size, the only ones are in the 32mm size and those are 2.5 ounces heavier than the loaded E motor, which would require more nose weight ,larger CG shift and a general deterioration of flight time, even with higher boost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeiJi
Nice flights. Time for an F motor.

Quick Reply