Mar 31, 2018, 01:18 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Aerotetris Mirage 2000B build thread

Hello friends

Finally I open the Aerotetris Mirage 2000B build thread. I have ordered the 2200mm version a few days ago. http://aerotetris.com/mirage2000b-2200.html Mine will be fly as an electric version. Some components are already chosen, especially the fan setup. But for the servos and landing gear I'm not sure what to use.

Here are my already known setup:
JetFan 120 Eco
TP-Power Brushless Inrunner Motor TP5670 5Y, 720KV
Hobbywing FlyFun Regler 160A HV - V5 - 6-14S
2x 6S Aga Power 6S6200mAh 40C

This setup generates 8.85kg thrust according to the jetfan homepage. I think this should be enough for nice flying

Now the big questions is: Servos and landing gear? I never build and fly a jet in this class. Are 10kg/cm torque enough for the servos?

For the retract question: I have seen some nice rectracts on Hobbyking: https://hobbyking.com/en_us/all-meta...___store=en_us
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/all-meta...___store=en_us

But no clue which struts. Maybe some of you have a hint for this?

It would be nice if some of you could also post your setups.

Cheers Michael
Last edited by buckker; Mar 31, 2018 at 04:35 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 31, 2018, 01:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckker
Hello friends

Finally I open the Aerotetris Mirage 2000B build thread. I have ordered the 2200mm version a few days ago. http://aerotetris.com/mirage2000b-2200.html Mine will be fly as an electric version. Some components are already chosen, especially the fan setup. But for the servos and landing gear I'm not sure what to use.

Here are my already known setup:
JetFan 120 Eco
TP-Power Brushless Inrunner Motor TP5670 5Y, 720KV
Hobbywing FlyFun Regler 160A HV - V5 - 6-14S
2x 6S Aga Power 6S6200mAh 40C

This setup generates 8.85kg thrust according to the jetfan homepage. I think this should be enough for nice flying

Now the big questions are: Servos and landing gear? I never build and fly a jet in this class. Are 10kg/cm torque enough for the servos?

For the retract question: I have seen some nice rectracts on Hobbyking: https://hobbyking.com/en_us/all-meta...___store=en_us
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/all-meta...___store=en_us

But no clue which struts. Maybe some of you have a hint for this?

It would be nice if some of you could also post your setups.

Cheers Michael
Hello Michael

BR Egor
Apr 01, 2018, 12:49 AM
Hi Michael well done on starting the Mirage. Mine is waiting for me to start

I like the prolink struts but they are expensive. I have some second hand ones I will use.

https://www.dreamworksrc.com/catalog...ult/?q=+struts

Robart struts are pretty good as well, but trailing links are better on a bad landing.

I have one of those HK nose retracts but have not used it so don't know how good it is.

The eflite 60-120 retracts work well but may be a bit light for the mirage.

BR Stewart
Apr 01, 2018, 05:58 AM
Thread OP
Hi Stewart

I have a look at the prolink struts. They look pretty nice. And yes, they are expensive. But if you have no troubles with them it's worth to pay a little bit more. Bad retracts ruins to hole model (my opinion)

What type of servos do you plan to use?

Cheers Michael
Apr 01, 2018, 10:25 AM
Michael,
Congrats. I still think this thread should be under Large EDF Jets.
I always like to start with an estimated weight for the finished aircraft.
APPROX. ESTIMATED WEIGHT
FOAM FUSE AND WING (GLUED) - 1765 gr
EDF FAN & MOTOR Jet fan 120 HET 800-73-590 - 860 gr
Heat sink - 40 gr
LANDING GEAR SYSTEM w. Mounting bocks - 2 500 gr
SERVOS (5) - 300 gr
ESC (Phoenix Edge HV 160A) - 250 gr
Fiberglass shell - 1500 gr
HARDWARE / CABLES (Estimated) - 1000 gr
BATTERIES (2x6's, 5000mA) - 1700 gr
TOTAL WEIGHT - 9915 gr

No matter how I tried I couldn't get the numbers to align. Feel free to correct my figures.

9 to 10kg will still fly great on a fan system pushing 8kg -9kg thrust.
Pro Link Trailing link struts may not look the best but are best for the rough grass field we have here.

I encourage everyone to put as many links to what ever item is being discussed. .
I will probably start with my 175 cm Mirage powered with 105 mm fan . I'll save the 220cm Mirage for a turbine.
Last edited by Sollym; Apr 01, 2018 at 03:17 PM.
Apr 01, 2018, 11:14 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sollym
Michael,
Congrats. I still think this thread should be under Large EDF Jets.
I always like to start with an estimated weight for the finished aircraft.
APPROX. ESTIMATED WEIGHT
FOAM FUSE AND WING (GLUED) - 1765 gr
EDF FAN & MOTOR Jet fan 120 HET 800-73-590 - 860 gr
Heat sink - 40 gr
LANDING GEAR SYSTEM w. Mounting bocks - 2 500 gr
SERVOS (5) - 300 gr
ESC (Phoenix Edge HV 160A) - 250 gr
Fiberglass shell - 1500 gr
HARDWARE / CABLES (Estimated) - 1000 gr
TOTAL WEIGHT - 8215 gr

No matter how I tried I couldn't get the numbers to align. Feel free to correct my figures.

I think it could be built at 8.5 kg. 10kg will be on the heavy side but it will still fly great on a fan system pushing 8kg thrust.
Pro Link Trailing link struts may not look the best but are best for the rough grass field we have here.

I encourage everyone to put as many links to what ever item is being discussed. .
I will probably start with my 175 cm Mirage powered with 105 mm fan . I'll save the 220cm Mirage for a turbine.

I did also a rough weight calculation. I landed around 8kg. For me its very hard to estimate how much weight the fibreglass shell add to the model. But we will see

Did you miss the batteries? I can't see them in your post.

For me its a foamie but it's also a large jet. We should have "large foamie jets" I can't move the topic, if a admin think it's better to move the topic, go for that, thanks a lot

Cheers Michael
Apr 01, 2018, 03:16 PM
Michael,
You are right. I forgot to list the batts even though I was thinking about them. I corrected the table to show 9915 gr gross weight. Stewarti was right estimating a 10kg jet.
It will be very interesting to see how much weight the fiberglass shell adds. That's where some good amount of wt. could be saved if done propely.
Apr 01, 2018, 04:29 PM
Thread OP
I find a very interesting shop for struts: https://www.xicoy.com/catalog/produc...6f543f8b908a7e

I think I go with the hobyking retracts and the Xicoy Struts. Seems to be the best solution at the moment.

@Sollym I hope to get a take of weight of 8kg. You calculate with a lot reserve. So it's probable to get a little bit lighter than estimated.

BTW, the Mirage foam parts are on the way
Last edited by buckker; Apr 02, 2018 at 01:47 AM.
Apr 04, 2018, 02:48 AM
Thread OP
@ Mr. UD Thanks for posting your setup. I have already modified my setup. The motor I choose at the start of the project seems to be too heavy (around 1000g) The HET 800-68-685KV weight only the half and has nearly the same thrust. So I decided to go with the HET Motor and the JetFan 120 Pro. I found a nice comparison on RCgroups between the JetFan 120 Eco and the Pro. The Pro generates a little bit mor thrust and have a slightly better efficiency.

Are you sure that the Hobbyking struts ar strong enough? I try to find out what 60-90 class means. I found some airplanes with a expected take of weight of around 5kg. The mirage will be a lot heavier... Maybe the concept works if you have a tarmac railway. If you land in the gras I'm pretty sure that the struts have a short life

I will try those struts: https://www.xicoy.com/catalog/produc...6f543f8b908a7e

https://www.xicoy.com/catalog/produc...6f543f8b908a7e

the main struts are in 153mm lenght and the nose strut in 177mm length availlable. I think it should work.

BTW, the Turnigy 6S8000mAh will be not longer availlable, Hobbyking has discontinued this product.

Cheers Michael
Last edited by buckker; Apr 04, 2018 at 03:07 AM.
Apr 05, 2018, 01:09 AM
Quote:
Are you sure that the Hobbyking struts ar strong enough? I try to find out what 60-90 class means. I found some airplanes with a expected take of weight of around 5kg. The mirage will be a lot heavier... Maybe the concept works if you have a tarmac railway. If you land in the gras I'm pretty sure that the struts have a short life
The legs are the only parts I have not bought yet, so I cant gurantee, but regarding the pure dimensions ("diameter 12-13mm" at a tube lenth of about 100mm) they might hold up (but they are for sure at the lower Level). "Your" ones for sure are the better choice for durability - trailing links are always the better choice for rough fields (maybe I will give them a try too - or make some of my own )

Quote:
BTW, the Turnigy 6S8000mAh will be not longer availlable, Hobbyking has discontinued this product.
I know - I bought them at a flash sale when they were cleaning up their shelfs - a real bargain at about 40€/pack. Just wanted to show my own setup and I think the batteries should be as large as mine for the Mirage
Apr 05, 2018, 01:45 PM
Thread OP
40€/pack, this is really a bargin hope they perform well. My turnigy Nano Tech phase is over. I got too many "Kugelfische" Since I switched over to SLS I'm really happy.

BTW, is it possible to get the Mirage as a stp. model? I like to design support parts for the landing gear. It would be a lot easier with the solid model
Last edited by buckker; Apr 12, 2018 at 03:18 AM.
Apr 12, 2018, 02:20 AM
Sorry what is a stp model?
Apr 12, 2018, 03:20 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by stewarti
Sorry what is a stp model?
its a cad exchange format

BTW, the parcel arrived at Switzerland I hope I will find it this evening in front of my door
Apr 14, 2018, 02:56 AM
Thread OP
Ladies and Gentlemen, lets start the mission in 3,2,1 => go!!! => Aeroetris Mirage 2000B

I got the parcel yesterday, so I'm ready to go. The retracts and the ESC are also there. The Xicoy struts should arrive early next week.

The parts are really nice cutted. I'm curious how good they fit together.

Cheers Michael

Quick Reply