Mar 30, 2018, 07:55 PM
Thread OP
Contest

Chi/lou f5j intro event may 19&20

Hi Guys,

So the latest craze in E-launch is F5J, this year F5J World Comp Teams will be chosen for the first ever F5J Championship.... sounds like F5J must be a pretty cool thing right? "A LOT better than ALES" is the claim coming our way from out west.... well this will be a chance for all of us in the Ohio Valley areas (and others) to find out if its true.

The CHI Guys
Frank Burnowski, Ben Roberto and Robin Meek from Chicago area have asked if we would like to co-host an introductory F5J event on our field since it is more central to most. They will be CD'ing and scoring, our club will help with the work of setting up landing spots etc.

As a bonus Gavin Trussel will be letting us use his new state of the art automated LED Timing Board so that our event will emulate an actual FAI F5J event.

Special Sauce???

Since this is an opportunity for ALES pilots to learn and experience F5J, we will NOT be forcing pilots to have an approved FAI F5J switch. Pilots can use their existing ALES Switches (for instance in the case of the CAM ALES unit set for 100m,150m, or 200m. The pilot would simply declare where his launch height was set). (And yes you can do emergency motor restarts to save your model (in exchange for a zero round score of course).

F5J???
So what is the difference between ALES and F5J? ALES is altitude LIMITED, F5J is altitude PENALIZED.

ALES everyone starts at the same altitude. F5J pilots choose which altitude they want to start at, the lower the launch altitude the less launch points they consume. Those "launch points" are deducted from the pilot's total round score.

Telemetry is NOT allowed in F5J, except for Signal and RX battery info. ALES allows Vario's and Altimeter Telemetry reporting, FAI F5J does not.

F5J Launch Points
From the moment the pilot releases his model at launch, he begins using his launch points at a rate of 1 point for every 2 meters gained from his hand. There is a pretty stiff penalty for exceeding 200m, but if you were to launch to 200m it would cost you 100 points off your total round score. In the case of a pilot using his ALES Cam switch set to 150 meters, the score card would reflect that his launch height was 150m, (even if he decided to shut off lower) since his CAM does not display the actual motor shut off altitude as do F5J switches. (

IF the pilot has a F5J switch it will indicate the altitude 10 seconds after the motor was actually shut off. (FAI rule). (or it will read the highest altitude recorded during the launch, so no shooting up, then zooming down into a low pack flying a thermal. You F5J switch will read the highest your model achieved during the motor run.)

The F5J Landing Circle

Its HUGE! A 20 meter circle, 50 points max, measured 5 points per meter. That means pilots have a 2m circle to earn the full 50 points. No need to learn how to land with precision, or dork. Plenty of "slide" room to do well. You can park two crew cab Ford Trucks on the tape and still hit some points at the end. :-)

Day 1 Saturday
Our goal is to provide plenty of information about the rules, all questions welcome at the pilot meeting. We'll all be learning, so Saturday will be dedicated to that idea.
Day 2 Sunday
Pilots who attended Saturday will be ready to fly, having experienced and learned. New pilots will still get the same introduction as did the Saturday pilots, so no pressure, but likely the event will flow smoother :-).

Recognition will be given for the top 3 places each day, with an OVER ALL Point Champion award given to the pilot who managed to enjoy both days!

Entry Fee
$25 per day.

$5 of that will be put into a cash pot, the pilot who ends up in the MIDDLE OF THE PACK will receive half of that pot the rest will be sent to our USA F3J Team.

We're going to keep it simple, trying to insure everyone has fun and learns about F5J.

The Field
We'll be flying off of our club field at Charlie Vettiner Park (Google it on Google Maps). Approx 1000' square, with easy access to all sides. Its close to freeway exits and only a few miles from lots of restaurants and motels.

Got more questions OR comments ? PLEASE PM ME, I don't want this thread getting cluttered with chat... or call me at 502 seven two seven 9595.
I will edit and add per your suggestions or comments as the days go by. I have chemo-brain, so sometimes I have to go back to correct what I thought I typed :-).
Gordy
Latest blog entry: Check out my YouTube Channel
to remove ads between posts
May 04, 2018, 08:30 PM
See you there Gordy. I know you don't want chat, but you're on page 3!!!!

Gilbert
May 04, 2018, 10:24 PM
Thread OP

Currently looks like 30+ pilots attending!

We are getting excited!

Gavin is bringing his state of the art Timing Board, the chi boys have the scoring and lane audio system tested and ready so the logistics are ready!

Iíll have some spare F5j Altitude devices to loan out just in case ( but your current ALES switches will work).

Paul Perret came up today for this Sundayís pop up ALES contest, Matt and Clark are rolling down from Cincy to play too.

Iím expecting about 30 pilots.

You?
Gordy
May 05, 2018, 04:34 AM
I'm bringing Greg. Is the field open on Friday for practice?

Gilbert
May 09, 2018, 09:45 PM
BenRoberto
Everyone that plans on attending send me a msg so that we have an idea on the head count.

-- b
PM or benroberto AT hotmail DOT com

---------------------------------------------------------------
Gordy Stahl
Frank Burnoski
Robin Meek
Ben Roberto
Gavin Trussell
Marc Marcum
Ron Allen
Ron Smith
Steve Gammon
Paul Perret
Derek
Gilbert
Greg
Jerry
Norm
Dewey
(...c'mon...it'll be fun... we'll fly until we've had too much Gordy...with Gavin flying, 2nd and 3rd place are still available...reserve your spot now...)
Last edited by Ben Roberto; May 11, 2018 at 07:58 PM. Reason: still not feeling the love
May 10, 2018, 05:12 PM
I will be there.
May 16, 2018, 08:05 AM
Gordy,
Will the field be open on Friday for us to get some flying in.
May 16, 2018, 08:21 AM
BenRoberto
Gordy,

What part of the field can use on Friday?
I'll be there Friday morning and will have a small sound system for practice.

-- b
May 16, 2018, 09:24 AM
Thread OP
As you drive in to the park we will be setting up in the tree line for shade about at the half way point.
The landing tapes will be about in the middle of the field out from that tree line.
You can park along the road, halfway on the grass.
Gordy
502-727-9595
May 16, 2018, 09:33 AM
BenRoberto
Would that be on Charlie Vettiner Rd, south of Somer Rd?

-- b
May 16, 2018, 01:15 PM
BenRoberto

NIB Simitri for Sale

I'll be bringing down a NIB white/orange Simitri for sale.

PM or email me for details.

-- b
May 17, 2018, 11:07 AM
Thread OP

Weather Update

Local TV weather stations are saying very scattered chances of rain on our field, and in the city in general.

There are lots of local events this weekend and the weatherman are predicting three good days ahead.

Weíll be set up Friday for those wanting to get in some flying. Plenty of water will be available.

The Parks department is cutting the field today for our event.

See you this weekend!

Gordy
May 18, 2018, 08:17 AM
Good luck guys! Will this have gliderscore online scoring?
Jim
May 18, 2018, 09:08 AM
Just pulling out of Columbus Ohio and headed down. Hopefully it's a dryer at the field today than it is here in Columbus so I can get a couple flights in today.

Gilbert
May 18, 2018, 01:29 PM
Thread OP
Not sure which scoring the Chi boys are using but pretty sure it’s not Gliderscore as I recommended.
This event is a learning exercise so just happy to have it happening.
It’s Friday and the forecast showed rain all day yet all we have had is thermals!

Back to flying��
Gordy

Quick Reply