Mar 30, 2018, 03:43 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

Oily Hands 2018 - Cowra 24-25-26 August 2018

Got my flyer in the mail this week from Andy at the Cowra Model Aircraft Club. http://www.cowramac.asn.au/main.html

Have been thinking about building a Barnstormer Baby for it and figured I'd just run out of excuses. Next thing was to choose an engine and I have various ED Bees as a lot of us would have, but the Mk1 version I have is a little beauty so that's what is going into it. Messed around with some wire as in the plans for the wing attachment but try as I might just couldn't get even one I was happy with so made it out of a nice piece of dural that came from a TAA sign about 50 years ago. Strange thing is I thought it was dural but it is more like steel - maybe it is - but it will be a whole lot better than bent wire when bolted and glued to the rib.

Haven't worked out how many sleeps yet but as those that have been there know - it is the best weekend of the year !
Last edited by edholly; Mar 30, 2018 at 05:26 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 30, 2018, 07:59 PM
I fly SLOPE landings are crash
I haven't missed one yet ED.

The year I had heart surgery Sharon said I was going even if it was in a box. Luckily that didn't happen and I struggled for a bit.

My biggest problem now is model storage. Where would I keep a Barnstormer if I built one?

Just out of curiosity. What is the aluminium part in the last pic with the rib. Is it for mounting the wing?
Mar 30, 2018, 11:07 PM
Thread OP
Humph

Yes it is the wing mount for the struts to slip into. The plans call for a wire to be bent, but I tried to do this and couldn't get it right or a small enough circle so decided to make it out of a solid piece of plate. I will attach it to the ply rib with both epoxy and 4 x 2.5 mm screws and nuts and as can be seen in the photo it will hang down under the wing as the wire would. Another advantage is I can make the wing flat on the building board and add this later before sheeting it over.

Now I have read Andy's flyer I see there is already quite a comprehensive thread on the Barton website ...
http://controlline.org.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=14083

You can always find space - there's the roof, under the house under the bed ... even in the garage !
Mar 31, 2018, 06:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by edholly
Humph

Y

You can always find space - there's the roof, under the house under the bed ... even in the garage !
The roof. Too hot
Under the house. Hmmmm not much room But possible.

Under the bed. Done that in three rooms.
On the wall Two rooms.
On top of the wardrobe. Two rooms that have them.
Racking in the third bedroom.

Garage . Gets too hot and about to demolish it and build a new one with Hobby room on second level.
Should have enough room for model storage, Building table and a dedicated bench for an engraver.

A bloke has o have a goal.
Mar 31, 2018, 08:36 AM
Sticks, Tissue & old Diesels
Quote:
Originally Posted by HUMPHREY1957
Garage . Gets too hot and about to demolish it and build a new one with Hobby room on second level.
Do you mean under the roof...
Mar 31, 2018, 09:24 AM
My view over the back fence..
Quote:
Originally Posted by edholly
Got my flyer in the mail this week from Andy at the Cowra Model Aircraft Club. http://www.cowramac.asn.au/main.html

Have been thinking about building a Barnstormer Baby for it and figured I'd just run out of excuses. Next thing was to choose an engine and I have various ED Bees as a lot of us would have, but the Mk1 version I have is a little beauty so that's what is going into it. Messed around with some wire as in the plans for the wing attachment but try as I might just couldn't get even one I was happy with so made it out of a nice piece of dural that came from a TAA sign about 50 years ago.
Hi Ed.

I have been looking at the plans of the different sized Barnstormers, and didn't like the wire struts on the Baby Barnstormer much either.

I also looked thru my box of engines and decided I wanted to use my Allbon Javelin 1.5cc diesel. It has had no use since I bought it a few years back, and sits there and looks accusingly at me.

So I have drawn up my own plan for a 44 inch span Barnstormer, to fit between the 39 inch Baby Barnstormer and the 52 inch Barnstormer. I have pinched bits from each one, including the alloy cabane struts off the 52" model in place of the wire ones.

Have not cut balsa yet, but the plan is ready to print.

See you all at Oily Hand.
Mar 31, 2018, 06:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenenglish
Do you mean under the roof...

Yes it has a tin roof.
It Gets stingking hot and condensation forms at night.
Apr 25, 2018, 02:13 AM
Thread OP
Yes I am probably the slowest builder there is ...

Here is the Barnstormer Baby so far ...
Apr 25, 2018, 03:26 AM
I’m building a 52” version.
Decided on a “sporty” version with ailerons for a rather nice Oliver Tiger Major.
It’s a very robust design with a lot of wood- just as well I’m not looking for a floater.
Jul 08, 2018, 04:37 AM
Aviator
Hi all

I've built a 115% Baby Barnstormer, 44.5" Span, otherwise built per the plan. The wire struts worked out fine for me. Mine will have a 1.cc MPJet Diesel with 2 channel radio, Elev/Rudder. Covering is going to be Polyspan with modelspan tissue coloured trim.

Regards
Warren
Jul 08, 2018, 11:22 PM
Just ordered a kit from Browny for an 89"er this morning and started on an engine for it yesterday . Tahn gave me these bits from his fathers junk box so decided to use them, 25 mil bore 19 mil stroke . Put on a carby and front bearing , need to make a liner, piston, head ( push / pull) and collet drive for the prop , ugly SOB aye ! Should have it all ready to fly in a couple of weeks . Told Browny to make it rudder and elevator with 2" under each tip , that should be ok I think .
Jul 09, 2018, 12:22 AM
That's dedication Geoff.
Most would be challenged to complete a large Barnstormer in time (I know you regard it as oodles of time) but adding an engine to the list is impressive!

I've finished my 52" so I've moved on to a second Sharkface (Andy's TD 051 was much too fast for my PAW 049, so I'm doing another one with a Norvel 061AME on crankcase pressure).

Surely you could whip up a Sharkface in your tea break - join the fun, might be a few of them at Cowra.
Jul 09, 2018, 01:02 AM
Geoff

what on earth did that lump of an engine start off as being intended for?

The mind boggles ...
Jul 09, 2018, 01:15 AM
Just machined the liner Warren , Steve is teaching me a different way to do the porting so that's next this arvo , but will have to do a piston to set it up with . But a cuppa first . That Sharkface sounds a bit quick and squiggly to me , Nelsons and Playboys are about all I can handle these days mate . Nice one Warren , pretty colour to , mine will be tissue over doclam and wrapping tissue trim from the dollar shop . You blokes do too good a job for me to compete with . Particularly that Bailey bloke from Canberra , got to much time on his hands , he needs to get a hobby to keep himself occupied .
Jul 09, 2018, 01:24 AM
G'day mate , who knows Derek . Been sitting up at Doonside as long as Tahn can remember , so thought I would fiddle with it . Just about to make a piston for it to suit the new liner . The liner in the picture is too loose in the bore and made out of cast iron and had an ally piston with a 3/16" wide ring groove so was going to be a glo or ignition. I think in a past life it has run as the disc and backplate have been used and it had a massive blowup going on some of the marks inside the case .

Quick Reply