Jan 26, 2020, 12:28 PM
I just balanced mine using the recommended cg per the manual. I had to put 1 1/2 oz of weight in the nose to get it to balance with an admiral 4s 3000mah battery all the way forward.

I have an ess air sound system in mine so that may have affected things.

Haven’t flown it yet so will let you know how it goes

Quote:
Originally Posted by CR5
Has anyone else flown their's with the CG back where putput suggests?

I'm going to try to fly mine again today if the wind is favorable.
I think I'll go about half way between where the manual says and where he says for the first flight.

I'm a little leery of CG now, I bought an FMS 64mm F-18 and followed the manual for setup. Turns out they want you to crash your new jet as it was ridiculously tail heavy and after 2 days of internet videos and pages of forums it turns out that the book CG is 20mm too far aft.

I'm going to try the P-51 on 4S as well today. I did a static test in the shop and things got pretty warm so I'll have to practice throttle control and try to keep the magic smoke on the inside.
I don't think it needs more power but I can't help but be curious to see how fast it will go
to remove ads between posts
Jan 27, 2020, 12:49 PM
CR5
CR5
I flew mine with the CG where the manual (printed that came with it not online) and it flew just fine with no complaints from me but after moving it back to halfway between the factory suggested and the panel line on the top of the wing as Putput says, the plane feels lighter in the air and still has no bad tendencies. It feels very neutral right now.

I will eventually try it a little further back just out of curiosity but I really like how it flies now and probably won't be going back forward with it.
Last edited by CR5; Feb 01, 2020 at 09:26 PM.
Feb 16, 2020, 10:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CR5
I flew mine with the CG where the manual (printed that came with it not online) and it flew just fine with no complaints from me but after moving it back to halfway between the factory suggested and the panel line on the top of the wing as Putput says, the plane feels lighter in the air and still has no bad tendencies. It feels very neutral right now.

I will eventually try it a little further back just out of curiosity but I really like how it flies now and probably won't be going back forward with it.
I Va been flying mine for about 6 months in all sorts of weather all on 2200 batts. The cg position as recommended by the manual (from the box) seems to be perfect. I f eel that if the cg was Back the plane plane would crash!
Feb 16, 2020, 11:23 PM
CR5
CR5
Quote:
Originally Posted by diplodocus
I Va been flying mine for about 6 months in all sorts of weather all on 2200 batts. The cg position as recommended by the manual (from the box) seems to be perfect. I f eel that if the cg was Back the plane plane would crash!
I was worried about moving it back as well but it flies very nicely about a half inch back from where the manual says. I felt like it flew well where the factory suggests as well but just wanted to see if there was room for improvement.
If you're curious just move it back 1/4 inch and see how you like it, I'm probably going to move it around a little just to see where I like it best.
The videos posted earlier in the thread he had it further back and it looked like it flew great so there is some room to move it around safely.
Nothing wrong with leaving it alone either if you're happy with it.

Good luck and have fun, it's one of my favorite planes.
Feb 21, 2020, 10:41 PM
CR5
CR5
Flew mine again today (4 cell 2600mAh)
CG half way between factory suggested and the panel line on the top of the wing (same as last flight).
Flew great, a few fast low passes followed by climbs straight up pulling it over into another big dive and fast pass, a couple landings and takeoffs, a touch and go, loops, rolls, low tight turns, low slow passes with flaps down and gear up.
Fantastic flying plane.
Mine is the PNP and I installed a standard 6 channel with no gyro. This plane is so stable.
Feb 22, 2020, 06:21 AM
Agreed!! I have six versions of the p-51, but this one is my favorite. Once the CG is pushed back it flies so nice it's almost to much fun..
Feb 22, 2020, 08:31 AM
CR5
CR5
Quote:
Originally Posted by putput
Agreed!! I have six versions of the p-51, but this one is my favorite. Once the CG is pushed back it flies so nice it's almost to much fun..
I have noticed that with the CG where the manual suggests that for straight and level flight the elevator is almost perfectly in line with the fuselage extension but with it moved back I had to give it a little down trim putting it out of alignment with that.
Not sure if it matters but that makes me think that it is actually balanced perfectly at the manufacturer's suggested spot but by making it a little tail heavy (closer to the panel line in the top of the wing) makes it more responsive.
It flies great with the CG in either spot but feels a little more nimble with it moved back.
I'll have to do more inverted to see how much input it takes to hold it level in both locations.

Flying this one almost has me convinced to buy the 1.5m version
Feb 22, 2020, 02:12 PM
Just buy it ������
I like it very neutral. Inverted requires almost zero input now and very sporty
Feb 22, 2020, 05:43 PM
CR5
CR5
I bought the e-flite 1.5m P-51 today, lol

2 UMX P-51's, the 1.2m and now the 1.5m.
And the Flite Test mighty mini P-51 but haven't built it yet.
Feb 23, 2020, 09:05 PM
CR5
CR5
4 more flights on the 1.2 today, flies so well. Definitely one of my favorite planes to fly.
Sure hope I don't burn it out flying on 4 cells all the time.
On 4S it feels close to the same speed as the new 1.5m. Hard to say for sure though since I haven't flown them back to back yet and with the size difference it's hard to tell.
Wish I had someone close by to fly with who had one as well, would be cool to do some fast low passes with a couple of them

The new 1.5m is amazing, big, smooth, and fast. Flies very similar but a little harder to grease the landings, it can fly slow but I'm not as confident with it as I am with the 1.2 so I'm still coming in a little hot and bouncing it, nothing serious but just not as smooth as I am with the 1.2.

I think it's almost time to start looking for options to make it faster. I really like doing fast low passes and big climbs. It's pretty good on 4S but a motor and ESC that would let me prop it up a little would be extra sweet

When my watt meter shows up I'm going to see what the spare 5 blade from the left side of my EC-1500 does on this plane, not very scale looking but would look cool and give it a little more ground clearance if it performs similarly or hopefully gives a tiny bit more thrust.
Last edited by CR5; Feb 24, 2020 at 08:58 PM.
Feb 24, 2020, 08:39 PM
CR5
CR5
Another 2 flights today after work.
CG set at 95mm from leading edge where it meets the fuselage.
Seems perfect, flies fast and level upright and just a little down elevator to hold it level inverted.

I flew 4:30 on my 4S 2600mAh packs and came down at 3.73V/cell. I'm flying quite a bit more at 3/4+ throttle now so it's draining the packs quicker than it used to.
I might try it with my 4S 3300's but don't really want to add more weight, and those are the packs I fly in my Timber-x.
I've got 2 more 4S 2600's on the way, probably just cut my timer back to 4min and take 4 packs with me when I take this one out rather than run bigger packs.
Feb 24, 2020, 08:52 PM
CR5
CR5
Quote:
Originally Posted by spit n pitts
I just balanced mine using the recommended cg per the manual. I had to put 1 1/2 oz of weight in the nose to get it to balance with an admiral 4s 3000mah battery all the way forward.

I have an ess air sound system in mine so that may have affected things.

Haven’t flown it yet so will let you know how it goes
Not sure how heavy that sound system is but I would try to find a better place for it if it's forcing you to add any more weight to the plane to get it to balance. Personally I'd rather remove it and use it in a bigger plane if it was making me have to add more weight to this one.
Perhaps build a tray over the receiver for the sound system (if it will still clear the canopy).
Or try moving the CG back to where I have mine by removing a little nose weight.
It flies great at 95mm and is not twitchy or unpredictable at all.

Good luck.
Last edited by CR5; Feb 25, 2020 at 06:50 AM.
Feb 26, 2020, 08:23 AM
Im keeping the sound system- its fun

Most of my planes seemed to meet cg until I got a great planes cg finder and I found out how far off my cgs were

Quote:
Originally Posted by CR5
Not sure how heavy that sound system is but I would try to find a better place for it if it's forcing you to add any more weight to the plane to get it to balance. Personally I'd rather remove it and use it in a bigger plane if it was making me have to add more weight to this one.
Perhaps build a tray over the receiver for the sound system (if it will still clear the canopy).
Or try moving the CG back to where I have mine by removing a little nose weight.
It flies great at 95mm and is not twitchy or unpredictable at all.

Good luck.
Feb 26, 2020, 10:27 AM
CR5
CR5
Quote:
Originally Posted by spit n pitts
I’m keeping the sound system- it’s fun

Most of my planes seemed to meet cg until I got a great planes cg finder and I found out how far off my cg’s were

Is there a place closer to the CG that you could install it? I fly pretty much exclusively on 4S and still want more speed. I wouldn't want to add any weight to the plane that it didn't absolutely need.

If you like to fly more scale then it probably won't matter though, even on 3S it has lots of power for scale flight and I've quit using flaps on takeoff just to give it a chance to get a little more speed before it comes off the ground. With the flaps at takeoff flap position it's up really fast and I'm usually worried that I'm not actually going fast enough even though it climbs away smoothly.

I use my fingertips and hold it over my head
Unfortunately I end up with dents in the foam from my fingertips
Last edited by CR5; Feb 26, 2020 at 11:03 AM.
Feb 27, 2020, 10:15 PM
CR5
CR5
Well, had my first oopsy daisy with her today.
Screwed up takeoff, for some reason I didn't pull up soon enough as it drifted towards the right side of my runway. Caught the snowbank and ripped the right retract out of the wing. Had plenty of speed, not sure what my brain was doing but it wasn't what was needed, lol.
I've glued it back in using power-tac, will be ready to fly by morning and I'll have her back in the air.
No other damage as far as I can tell.

Quick Reply