Jan 15, 2020, 01:03 PM
CR5
CR5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey10186
Does anyone else have an issue with one prop coming off no matter how tight you make it?. Started my taxi to the runway and did one quick throttle up and the prop flew off into the grass no damage though. So brought it back and tightened the prop as much as I could with out breaking anything then did a test at 3 quarter throttle before the same prop flew off again but this time it flew into the wing of my brand new Freewing AL37 Airliner Eflite won that round against Freewing let's just say.
Dont ask me where the 5th blade of the prop is bc I pray it's not in the fuselage of someone else's plane
If you go to the EC-1500 thread you'll see that it is a common issue that HH has provided a fix for. There is a new prop adapter available for free, contact them to arrange delivery.

Common may be a little too much but it has happened to a few guys.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 23, 2020, 03:44 PM
Horizon Brand Ambassador
Getting closer!
E-Flite P-51D 1.2m Update 5: Final Assembly (1 min 38 sec)

The assembly was pretty straight forward, as I expected it to be. Lots of detail work followed the assembly, including weathering, some detail work, and something very unique that I came up with to make this P-51 capable of multiple missions. Details on that later.

E-Flite 1.2m P-51D Detroit Miss by Bryan Redeker, on Flickr
Jan 24, 2020, 09:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRGT350
Getting closer!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kvzj9uQoAOo

The assembly was pretty straight forward, as I expected it to be. Lots of detail work followed the assembly, including weathering, some detail work, and something very unique that I came up with to make this P-51 capable of multiple missions. Details on that later.

E-Flite 1.2m P-51D Detroit Miss by Bryan Redeker, on Flickr
Outstanding work BRGT350!
Jan 24, 2020, 09:20 AM
Horizon Brand Ambassador
Quote:
Originally Posted by r/cdawg
Outstanding work BRGT350!
thanks! I am really loving how this one is turning out. The only thing left to do, before the pre-flight checks start, is to rake the main gear forward. I have some washers that I will add to the backside of the retract housing to rake the mains a bit more forward. Last night I painted the wing navigation lights by putting down a layer of chrome silver and then transparent red for one and a mix of transparent green and blue for the other. Also made a clear light for the rudder. Too bad the lights don't actually work, but they look scale.
Jan 24, 2020, 09:24 AM
I would be curious to know how many washers you end up using and if you have to carve any foam out of the wheel wells to get them to fit

Looks terrific

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRGT350
thanks! I am really loving how this one is turning out. The only thing left to do, before the pre-flight checks start, is to rake the main gear forward. I have some washers that I will add to the backside of the retract housing to rake the mains a bit more forward. Last night I painted the wing navigation lights by putting down a layer of chrome silver and then transparent red for one and a mix of transparent green and blue for the other. Also made a clear light for the rudder. Too bad the lights don't actually work, but they look scale.
Jan 24, 2020, 09:40 AM
Horizon Brand Ambassador
Quote:
Originally Posted by spit n pitts
I would be curious to know how many washers you end up using and if you have to carve any foam out of the wheel wells to get them to fit

Looks terrific
I will report back after I get them installed. I picked up 3mm and 4mm washers to try out. I am targeting 2-3 washers for the stack. I think I went 3 washers on my B-17's plus I bent the gear struts forward by a 1/2". That really made a difference! The way the B-17 wheels retract makes it easy to make those adjustments. The adjustments on the B-17 made sure nose-overs never happen and it also looks more scale. With a chin turret and guns sticking out, a nose over is bad. I think a few degrees of forward rake on the P-51 will make a difference, but won't know until spring when I can do some taxi tests.
Jan 25, 2020, 10:11 AM
CR5
CR5
Has anyone else flown their's with the CG back where putput suggests?

I'm going to try to fly mine again today if the wind is favorable.
I think I'll go about half way between where the manual says and where he says for the first flight.

I'm a little leery of CG now, I bought an FMS 64mm F-18 and followed the manual for setup. Turns out they want you to crash your new jet as it was ridiculously tail heavy and after 2 days of internet videos and pages of forums it turns out that the book CG is 20mm too far aft.

I'm going to try the P-51 on 4S as well today. I did a static test in the shop and things got pretty warm so I'll have to practice throttle control and try to keep the magic smoke on the inside.
I don't think it needs more power but I can't help but be curious to see how fast it will go
Jan 25, 2020, 04:08 PM
Fwiw, I'm not alone with pushing cg back. Both of my buddies are now at the exact same spot.
I encourage you to go a little at a time, but man do they fly better
Jan 25, 2020, 11:08 PM
CR5
CR5
Quote:
Originally Posted by putput
Fwiw, I'm not alone with pushing cg back. Both of my buddies are now at the exact same spot.
I encourage you to go a little at a time, but man do they fly better
I flew it today with the CG set 1/2 way between the factory suggested and your spot.
It felt like it was more responsive and not at all tail heavy, slow flight was also very smooth. I did need to adjust the elevator to get level flight again but nothing major and to be expected. I used to have it pretty much perfectly level with the part that comes off the fuselage, now it's a couple mm lower for 1/2-3/4 throttle level flight.
I didn't have any nose overs on takeoffs but it looked close to having a prop scrape a couple times.
Last takeoff I didn't use the flaps hoping to get more speed before liftoff but as speed increased and I fed it power it started torquing forward and my additional up elevator to prevent a prop strike popped it off the ground so I'll just go back to using takeoff flaps. I usually only get to about half or a little over half throttle before it's airborne.

Going to fly it with the CG there for a while.
Thanks for the info, it definitely flies nicer now.

I also flew it on a 4S 2600mAh 35C pack today
Battery tray removed, I glued another plywood cross brace like the one it came with, slotted it for one of the velcro straps from the tray then hot glued it down in front of the other one with a pice of velcro on it as well for the battery to sit on. I don't think anything is going to move.

Very similar feeling to the change between my Timber-x, and EC-1500 on 3S vs 4S. They fly on either but 4S is ridiculous. The P-51 goes straight up till you pull it over the top to bring it back to an altitude you can see it properly again.
Going to be hard to go back to 3S now.

I'm thinking about trying the left prop off my EC-1500 on the mustang, 10x9 five blade vs 10.5x8 four blade calculate out pretty close on the thrust and wattage calculator except I don't know how much the scimitar changes things.
Not scale at all but would look neat and be smaller diameter.
Kinda expensive to put on a plane that is a little harder to prevent prop strikes with but I'm curious to see how it would pull it.
I'll wait till I get a watt/amp meter to make sure it's not actually pulling too much juice before I try it.
Last edited by CR5; Jan 25, 2020 at 11:26 PM.
Jan 25, 2020, 11:24 PM
When I want to go faster, I run two blade props. Normally 11" but sometimes 12" also. I have no prop strikes since cg change. Play safe, but don't be afraid to go back a little further ��
Jan 25, 2020, 11:29 PM
CR5
CR5
Quote:
Originally Posted by putput
When I want to go faster, I run two blade props. Normally 11" but sometimes 12" also. I have no prop strikes since cg change. Play safe, but don't be afraid to go back a little further ��
Thanks, I put enough velcro on the batteries to be able to run them back to balance it on the line on the top of the wing. I'll move it back a little more after I get some more flights on it and get a little more used to it. This is my first warbird, still getting used to how it flies.
Last edited by CR5; Jan 26, 2020 at 10:35 AM.
Jan 26, 2020, 06:06 AM
Hi guys, I haven’t been on this thread lately - interesting discussions about 4s and cg.

After the youtube video by Jason M. (In which he tells of the extensive testing of most of the Eflite 3s birds with 4s, and how they can now recommend 4s), I tried a 4s in my p51 (formerly Junenite - now in Roscoe Brown red tail scheme) and although I quite liked the extra ooomf it gave I was concerned at how REALLY hot the batteries were when they were taken out after a flight. I decided not to pursue it and went back to my normal setup of Overlander 3s 2200. She flies really nicely on this and lands as light as a feather with full flaps.

FWIW - I didn’t notice any great difference in handling when trying out the 4s batteries. I set both 4s and 3s square on the tray and all the way in.
Cheers
Geoff
Jan 26, 2020, 10:22 AM
CR5
CR5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyboy54
Hi guys, I haven’t been on this thread lately - interesting discussions about 4s and cg.

After the youtube video by Jason M. (In which he tells of the extensive testing of most of the Eflite 3s birds with 4s, and how they can now recommend 4s), I tried a 4s in my p51 (formerly Junenite - now in Roscoe Brown red tail scheme) and although I quite liked the extra ooomf it gave I was concerned at how REALLY hot the batteries were when they were taken out after a flight. I decided not to pursue it and went back to my normal setup of Overlander 3s 2200. She flies really nicely on this and lands as light as a feather with full flaps.

FWIW - I didn’t notice any great difference in handling when trying out the 4s batteries. I set both 4s and 3s square on the tray and all the way in.
Cheers
Geoff
What C rating are your 4S batts?
I wasn't flying wide open for my flight, just a few full power passes and big climbs with the rest just fast cruising 1/2 to 3/4 throttle and my batteries were only warm when I took them out between flights.

My concern was during the static test I did in the shop where 3min of mixed throttle between 1/2 and full (quite a bit of full) and the ESC was 70 degrees C and I can only shoot the end of it with my temp gun.
Best I could tell trying to get a shot of the motor from the back was that it was around 60 degrees C but I doubt I got a good shot of it.
I'm sure it gets more air during flight but I wouldn't hold it wide open for a whole pack on 4S.

4:30 flight (timer runs when power is on) my 4S 2600mAh pack landed with 3.85V/cell (average) and took 1290mA to top it back up.
Last edited by CR5; Jan 26, 2020 at 10:38 AM.
Jan 26, 2020, 10:26 AM
CR5
CR5
The new battery tray, not as handy as the plastic tray but it lets me put the battery back where it should be if using anything bigger than the 3S 2200.
Last edited by CR5; Jan 26, 2020 at 10:33 AM.
Jan 26, 2020, 11:09 AM
Horizon Brand Ambassador
The battery tray is something I will be looking into once I get the rest of the model done. I still have months before it will fly, so that will give me plenty of time to tinker with the battery tray. I will be going back to the thread and reviewing what has been posted as the results with the CG and battery tray seem to be the right way to go. The knowledge in this thread is outstanding!

Quick Reply