LeveTop - Another Foldable Camera Drone - RC Groups

LeveTop - Another Foldable Camera Drone

This is yet another drone for the selfie consumers that aims to make it easy to fly and capture aerial video all from your smart phone.

Splash

This Drone is Funded on Kickstarter

This is yet another drone for the selfie consumers that aims to make it easy to fly and capture aerial video all from your smart phone. The design is similar to a portable speaker being a cylinder when folded up so it's easy to carry and store. The 4 motor arms lift up and out and snap in place for flight. It has a CMOS camera capable of recording video at 1080P. They say the camera is stabilized, but it must be software stabilization as the camera appears to be in a fixed position based on the photos.

It's all controlled from your phone and you can even fly the drone by tilting your device or just touching on the screen. It has GPS and Vision Positioning and it can run for 20 minutes on a charge. There's a removable 3S lipo battery that can take the LeveTop up to 33MPH. It can track and keep you framed while you move and it has one touch auto land where it took off from. All this sounds ho hum and pretty standard for a drone of this size and type, but the kicker here is that it only costs $139 for the EarlyBird pledge on Kickstarter. There's only 12 of those left at that price. The project has over 900 backers and it quickly blew past the target goal of $25,000 and sits at over $155,000 pledged.

Check out the LeveTop Portable Drone on Kickstarter

Mar 29, 2018, 12:32 PM
Pretty good price for all those features!

I wish the camera were tiltable though... even manually before take-off.
Apr 02, 2018, 02:35 PM
An itch?. Scratch build.
It's that awkward bloke again

Was the video shot from a different drone, one with possibly a stabilized camera gimbal ?

The Levetop appears to tilt as it flies, and if it has a fixed camera, (?), I would have expected the video to show the tilting.

Or am I wrong ?

Ray.
Apr 02, 2018, 03:51 PM
"yet another".....really got me hyped to read your article. Looking forward to the next top 5 list.
Apr 03, 2018, 08:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by eflightray

Was the video shot from a different drone, one with possibly a stabilized camera gimbal ?

The Levetop appears to tilt as it flies, and if it has a fixed camera, (?), I would have expected the video to show the tilting.

Or am I wrong ?

Ray.
Probably has that image stabilisation that some Parrot gear has.
Apr 04, 2018, 12:19 AM
Running jokes into the ground
Quote:
Originally Posted by eflightray

Or am I wrong ?

Ray.
You know, i'm a bit of a pessimist, so write me off if you like. But that's the kind of imagery you might get with a drone mounting a Gopro or a Zenmuse, not the high-end C.M.O.S. camera you find attached to a $140 drone from a kickstarter. And heck it wouldn't be the first time it happened.

Here's the thing, the image stabilization options out there right now are either gimbaled, like the Spark, Mavic air, or Karma, or fisheye/wide FOV sensors with digital stabilization like the Parrot Bebop. This has a flat lens that looks like it was pulled off a racing quad, which is fine, but means you have a narrower FOV and not as much potential to stabilize. I mention these particular aircraft because it undercuts every single one in price, coming from an unknown company, and still "offers" a lot of the features seen on these aircraft. Meanwhile, this is what the imagery looks like from the H-501c, a drone available today for $169.99 with a lot of the same features
HUBSAN X4 H501C First Flight - Flight Review (11 min 10 sec)

Hubsan H501C (5 min 5 sec)

Looks shaky, with worse image quality? Now consider this is coming from a well-established company that's known for making affordable, entry-level and toy drones, and they don't check all the boxes this kickstarter aircraft does, for $30 more. Lets top this all off with how indistinguishable the imagery is in the end video/generic action sequence. Look closely. Is it hard for you to distinguish between the aircraft video and the ground video? remember that this is a $140 aircraft with a fixed/digitally stabilized camera, with the camera mounted so far down from the rotor center it would make the Inspire blush, and the images are almost indistinguishable from whatever camera they are using for this kickstarter? Seems too good to be true here.

Also i will paypal $5 to the first person to paint their Levetop to look like a Campbell's soup can or can of dog food, pending that any get shipped out and the money doesn't get used to buy someone's house.
Last edited by b-29er; Apr 04, 2018 at 01:19 AM.
Apr 18, 2018, 06:38 AM
Quad Erat Demonstrandum
Hhehehe im calling BS too here im afraid , the camera seems to be capable of magic so im pretty sure the manufacturer is one of David Copperfields sources lol you will probably find it converts to a Mavic when you say Abracadabra

Quick Reply