Mar 29, 2018, 05:07 AM
Thread OP
Help!

Make your own Telemetry cable for Pixhawk to Frsky X8r rx.

Hi guys, Pleas excuse me if this thread is in the wrong place and has been discussed before.

I am newish to the Taranis x9d plus, X8r rx and pixhawk.

I have the pixhawk up and running on my hexacopter on my Taranis and I have been looking at Telemetry options for it. I have the sik radio installed on my Hex and have it going back to my PC/Tablet, but I am wanting to use and view telemetry on my Taranis.

I have read about the Craft and Theory telemetry cable and Their program for the Taranis, but I have some information about making your own telemetry cable with a max3232 rs232 to ttl converter. I have ordered these converters and have purchased some inline series resistors to bring the power to the converter down from 5v to 3.3v ( although I'll have to do some more research on this), I am not an Electronics wiz by any means , but want to learn more.

I have some pics of it done, but is there a thread or topic of someone making this cable and step by step instuctions for Electronic newbies.

I'd appreciate your help if someone can point me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance,

Cheers Dave.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 29, 2018, 10:28 PM
After you make your adapter check out this Open Source Frsky telemetry script as a very nice alternative to the C&T product.
https://github.com/yaapu/FrskyTelemetryScript

Quote:
Originally Posted by savage600 View Post
Hi guys, Pleas excuse me if this thread is in the wrong place and has been discussed before.

I am newish to the Taranis x9d plus, X8r rx and pixhawk.

I have the pixhawk up and running on my hexacopter on my Taranis and I have been looking at Telemetry options for it. I have the sik radio installed on my Hex and have it going back to my PC/Tablet, but I am wanting to use and view telemetry on my Taranis.

I have read about the Craft and Theory telemetry cable and Their program for the Taranis, but I have some information about making your own telemetry cable with a max3232 rs232 to ttl converter. I have ordered these converters and have purchased some inline series resistors to bring the power to the converter down from 5v to 3.3v ( although I'll have to do some more research on this), I am not an Electronics wiz by any means , but want to learn more.

I have some pics of it done, but is there a thread or topic of someone making this cable and step by step instuctions for Electronic newbies.

I'd appreciate your help if someone can point me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance,

Cheers Dave.
Mar 30, 2018, 04:43 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkemxr View Post
After you make your adapter check out this Open Source Frsky telemetry script as a very nice alternative to the C&T product.
https://github.com/yaapu/FrskyTelemetryScript
Hey mate, that's what I was looking at running.

I have ordered a C&T Telemetry cable if the one I make screws up, but postage from them for the small cable wasn't cheap.

I'm still after a dummy's guide to making this cable.
Mar 30, 2018, 06:31 PM
I made one cable from a Frsky Ful-1 and a diode and on another craft just bought the CT cable for $20. PixRacer’s are nice, you don’t need any adapter.

Quote:

I have ordered a C&T Telemetry cable if the one I make screws up, but postage from them for the small cable wasn't cheap.

Last edited by dkemxr; Apr 04, 2018 at 07:25 AM.
Apr 04, 2018, 04:12 AM

some soldering required

Quote:

a simple guide on how to build an sport telemetry cable has just been posted on ardupilot.org

https://discuss.ardupilot.org/t/some...required/27613
Jan 23, 2019, 11:16 PM
Quadaholic
I finally built the telemetry cable. PHL FC to X4R-SB Rx per diagram below. I used the Rx to power the MAX3232 board through a voltage dropping diode, the board is not getting hot.

With scope I verified X4R is sending Sport packets through the converter and getting to the PHL Telemetry2 port (on bottom of FC) and is inverted from sport (top trace Sport output, bottom trace sent to Telemetry2 Rx input).
Looks like packets are sent every 12ms (83Hz). I dont see any signal wiggling on the PHL Tx output pin.

I have tried quite a few setting in AC v3.6.4.

I set SERIAL2_PROTOCOL= Frsky S.Port (4) (I am guessing this is the serial for telemetry 2), then rebooted PHL and Taranis x9d. Discover sensors and only RSSI/RxBt/A2.
I also tried SERIAL2_PROTOCOL= Frsky SPort Passthrough (10), same, no extra sensors.

Since I dont see and data coming out Telemetry2 Tx, I disconnected the adapter and tried setting serialX_protocol (1 to 6) to -1, then one by one I tried setting only one to option #4 (frsky sport), with reboots between each, then I tried the same with option #10 (frsky passthrough). Not once did the scope show any data coming out of the FC on telemetry2 port.

Is there a guide on the setup of FC and Tx side? help

I am on oTx v2.2.2, tia.

EDIT: on my PHL FC I have these setting, and Yaapu LUA v1.8 on my x9d with oTx 2.3.9
SERIAL2_BAUD,57
SERIAL2_OPTIONS,0
SERIAL2_PROTOCOL,10
Last edited by --Oz--; Sep 24, 2020 at 05:34 PM.
Jan 25, 2019, 03:51 AM
available @Ali:

https://fr.aliexpress.com/item/C-ble...5d633d30496-27

Quick Reply