This thread is privately moderated by rclad, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Mar 28, 2018, 11:45 AM
"I will return" Federico
Thread OP
Discussion

Distinction Between Model Aviation Accident and Incident

Last year I started a logbook of incidents I have had while flying model planes. It was titled "Incidents and Accidents," but I never defined those terms. It turns out, as far as I know, AMA hasn't made a clear distinction either. Perhaps it really doesn't matter, as long as you report any injuries caused to another person or persons while flying an RC model, or damage to property. I added the NTSB definition of those terms, as well as a copy of the 2018 AMA Insurance Summary and claim information, to the logbook introduction here. From that information I defined what I mean when I refer to an incident or accident in my logbook.

I hope we are all working on making our flying experience as safe as possible, so that we remain free of accidents - and incidents, too!
Last edited by rclad; Mar 28, 2018 at 12:32 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 29, 2018, 02:02 AM
Is there any difference if the casualty happens because of a system failure ( radio, motor, structure, controls, ...) or an human error ( the so called "thumbs interference" ) or just in air collision ?
Mar 29, 2018, 10:48 AM
"I will return" Federico
Thread OP
Regarding liability, I think the pilot - or the company insuring the plane - would be responsible for damages, whether there is a component failure or pilot error at fault. Mid-air collisions may be an exception, though, depending on pilot adherence to rules in place at the local airfield. If it's a component failure that could not have been spotted in a pre-flight inspection, then at least there will be no damage to your pride. That may be small consolation, though, if someone was seriously injured from the accident.

As more people fly bigger and faster RC aircraft your question does raise an important issue. To what extent can companies be held responsible for component failures in flight? I suppose we would need good documentation that a careful pre-flight was done, and that the failure was the result of a manufacturing defect rather than pilot error. That would be very hard to prove.

I hope your question was a hypothetical one, and not based on a recent accident.

Happy landings!
Last edited by rclad; Mar 29, 2018 at 11:21 AM.
Mar 29, 2018, 11:37 AM
Yes,thanks: it was hipothetical question. I did crash a lot of planes (models) in my career, but, following elementary safety rules about where I should fly I never injured people or damaged things, just holes in the ground.

Quick Reply