Mar 25, 2018, 06:07 PM
Foamy and Glider fanatic
Thread OP
Question

Opinions on Turnigy MultiStar Race Spec 4-in1 35A ESC

I'm really new to 4-in-1 ESCs and was looking at this one on HobbyKing's web site

Turnigy MultiStar Race Spec 4-in1 35A ESC for $34.66

I'm used to the old style single ESC. More specifically the ones with the inline BEC. I just started using OPTO ESCs. So I know next to NOTHING about these 4-in1 units

Anything I need to know about these? I'm thinking of pairing it up with a Omnibus Betaflight F4 PRO V2 Flight Controller STM32 F405 for $31.37

I assume I don't need a PDB anymore, right? The FC has a built in BEC so I'm assuming I would just tap off of the 4-in-1 and then go right to the FC.

Is there anything else I need to know about these 4-in-1 ESCs? DO they need more room for heat dissipation? Can I stack an FC on top of them? They look like they were built with this in mind.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 27, 2018, 01:29 AM
Agressive driver
You are correct that you won't need a PDB board and that the FC built in BEC powering the FC so you don't need another BEC. You can stack the flight controller on top of the 4 in 1 esc. It may cause it to run a little hotter but almost everyone builds this way and nobody seems to have heat problems
Mar 27, 2018, 11:49 AM
Thumper King
I used to be skeptical but ended buying the tekko32. Has larger pads and is a revision board with caps.

The way to go noways is to use a good 4in1 with caps on board and a pdb/fc combo that way you save some space and if the esc/bec dies it wont take the flight controller with it.
Jul 16, 2018, 03:56 AM
Motor rotation:
Frustratingly and randomly I had motors occasionally change direction. I have discovered this is a feature (not a problem if you know about it). At about one second after powering the ESC you can spin any motor and it will set that as the direction of rotation for that motor. It will beep to acknowledge this. It would have been good to have known about this before resoldering motor wires.

MultiStar 4-in1 20A ESC
Jul 16, 2018, 04:02 AM
Motor Rotation:
I was frustrated by occasional random changes to motor rotation direction. I later discovered if you spin a motor just after connecting power it will set that as it's direction of rotation and beep. It would be great if this feature was written on the HobbyKing product page to save unneeded resoldering and wasted trips to the field.

MultiStar 4-in1 20A ESC

Quick Reply