Leaning backwards in flight despite being front heavy? - Page 10 - RC Groups
Apr 12, 2018, 11:56 AM
flyin' fool
Here's what I know................

I have a FB who built two EzFlys when he first started in the hobby. He did a very good job on the builds, setting them up exactly as designed, eveything at 0:0.

The setup caused him problems with throttle management and elevator control input. I told his that his plane should fly straight and level with no elevator input. He fiddled around with the setup as I suggested and that cured his problem.

Model planes aren't supposed to fly straight and level with up elevator, except flying wings.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 12, 2018, 12:00 PM
flyin' fool
Still, it's a wonderful design, perfect for beginners and I recommend it to others.
Apr 12, 2018, 12:18 PM
Scratch building addict
There's lots of good trainer designs out there with no issues, its hard to beat an EPP tufftrainer or funfly, which will live longer than you will, or an FT storch if you want to scratch build. Funfly - Scary good price here.

https://www.nitroplanes.com/02a-006-...r-red-kit.html

https://www.flitetest.com/articles/f...e-storch-build
Apr 12, 2018, 12:50 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldguy
Still, it's a wonderful design, perfect for beginners and I recommend it to others.
Yes , I agree that the EzFly is perfect for beginners ..... especially first timers who aren't able to get assistance from an experienced RC flyer .

There are lots of different viewpoints/methods for learning to fly an RC plane , there's no right way or wrong way .... just different ways . A lot depends on what's available and affordable to a person : some people don't have access to an RC club where they can learn ( from an instructor with a buddy box ) to fly a 4 channel RETA plane . Some people can't afford $$$$ planes , etc .

MY preferred method ( that I've used to successfully teach dozens of people ) is to use a 3 channel EzFly that's SUPER stable & able to fly slowly . At a time when there's no wind , and over a huge grass covered field .... I'll take the EzFly up to about 100 feet , then hand the first-timer the transmitter ( NO buddy box ) . I first teach them throttle control : increase throttle to climb .... reduce throttle to descend ; and rudder control : make MILD turns ( as little banking as possible ) to keep the plane over the field . ALL stick movements in small increments .
If they do well flying around with throttle/rudder , I'll instruct them to slightly PUSH the nose down ( with elevator ) .... then PULL the nose back up . If they do well ( not over controlling ) using the elevator , I'll let them try a loop using throttle and elevator . If they do well with everything so far , I'll let them land the EzFly by gradually reducing the throttle until the EzFly lands itself in the field . Some people are content to stick with an easy 3 channel RET ..... some people move on to 4 channel RETA , 3D planes , speedsters , etc .

One old fellow told me ( as he was flying my EzFly for the first time ) that he tried flying an RC plane ONCE at a club field with an instructor/buddy box , but he felt that he was never really flying the plane ..... the instructor was 99% of the time . Needless to say , he was THRILLED to be flying my EzFly all by himself !
Apr 12, 2018, 11:04 PM
flyin' fool
My friend has one nailed to the outside of his garage. It's been a tribute to the design for over two years now.
Apr 13, 2018, 04:20 AM
You dont learn anything if someone is always there correcting every little mistake, when you make a big mistake and have to fix it yourself thats when you really learn.

If you have the right plane and are flying high enough, jumping onto the controls should only be needed if the novice gets in panick and just cant revover or if the plane is going somewhere it shouldnt (flying over pilot stance or heading behind treees etc)

Seeing all the videos its clear why this plane is such a good trainer, Some "trainer" planes are actually not great trainers. I have the WOT trainer, flies great, it doesnt self level though despite having dihedrial, its nose heavy even with flight battery all way back and its a real nightmare to slow down in no wind for landing. and if you have a fairly strong wind it just keeps flying. I had to add 40g to the tail (and still need more) so that i could get it to hold a slight nose up position for landing.
Apr 13, 2018, 10:25 AM
Scratch building addict
Who knows? maybe the weirdness of the angles in the design is its advantage?

I much prefer a plane with a larger prop on a low KV motor when I want something slow and stable, gets you out of trouble.

I could post some vids of the epp Tuff trainer flying that same speed in perfectly stable fashion.

Don't forget the pelican - I saw one of these fly last year, very floaty and nice.

http://www.crashtesthobby.com/pelican-34.html

Bottom line - get out and fly!
Last edited by rotagen; Apr 13, 2018 at 11:01 AM.
Apr 13, 2018, 12:09 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Quote:
Originally Posted by bazsound
You dont learn anything if someone is always there correcting every little mistake, when you make a big mistake and have to fix it yourself thats when you really learn.

If you have the right plane and are flying high enough, jumping onto the controls should only be needed if the novice gets in panick and just cant revover or if the plane is going somewhere it shouldnt (flying over pilot stance or heading behind treees etc)

Seeing all the videos its clear why this plane is such a good trainer, Some "trainer" planes are actually not great trainers. I have the WOT trainer, flies great, it doesnt self level though despite having dihedrial, its nose heavy even with flight battery all way back and its a real nightmare to slow down in no wind for landing. and if you have a fairly strong wind it just keeps flying. I had to add 40g to the tail (and still need more) so that i could get it to hold a slight nose up position for landing.
IMO , one of the biggest factors for a first time RC flyer is having , or not having .... the assistance of an experienced RC flyer . Whenever a new person ( wanting to learn to fly RC ) posts here on RC Groups , that's usually the first question I'll ask them .

For an "unassisted first-timer" , I'll recommend using a plane that can : 1 ) fly slowly ( gives them time to think , time to react , and time to correct a mistake ) , and 2 ) return to , and stays in ..... right-side-up wings-level flight all by itself . And of course I'll recommend they attempt their first flights over a huge , open , obstacle-free , grass-covered field ...... at a time when there's no wind .

For a store-bought plane I'll usually recommend the UMX Radian , for a home-made plane I'll usually recommend the EzFly .... although some people have had easier success with the Super Easy ( looks like a big paper airplane ) because it's easier to build ( no plans needed ) .

Here is the Super Easy :

SUPER easy foam board RC paper airplane (1 min 46 sec)
Apr 13, 2018, 12:20 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotagen
Who knows? maybe the weirdness of the angles in the design is its advantage?

I much prefer a plane with a larger prop on a low KV motor when I want something slow and stable, gets you out of trouble.

I could post some vids of the epp Tuff trainer flying that same speed in perfectly stable fashion.

Don't forget the pelican - I saw one of these fly last year, very floaty and nice.

http://www.crashtesthobby.com/pelican-34.html

Bottom line - get out and fly!
Yes , the Crash Test Hobby planes are tough and fantastic flying planes .... I recommend them often for people who are willing to do the assembly .

LazerToyz sells a similar EPP plane ( in different sizes ) , the Fenix . Here is the biggest one :
http://www.lazertoyz.com/Fenix-150-RC_p_1073.html

Flying a Big EPP Fenix 150 (4 min 22 sec)
Apr 13, 2018, 12:21 PM
Scratch building addict
Trip, just like a paper airplane.

Poor original guy probably gave up on this thread, this hobby can be daunting for a beginner, I remember sweating a lot with my first plane, an underpowered brushed motor GWS stearman because just I love bipes.

Easy to build? Call me crazy but I think the nutball is a great first plane, tough as snot because it's a circle, stalls are impossible, and will fly any angle you want, or accidentally lol, as well as plain old level circles like a tailed trainer. Huge chord wing can handle any pitch angle and fly slooow.
Apr 13, 2018, 12:38 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotagen
Trip, just like a paper airplane.

Poor original guy probably gave up on this thread, this hobby can be daunting for a beginner, I remember sweating a lot with my first plane, an underpowered brushed motor GWS stearman because just I love bipes.

Easy to build? Call me crazy but I think the nutball is a great first plane, tough as snot because it's a circle, stalls are impossible, and will fly any angle you want, or accidentally lol, as well as plain old level circles like a tailed trainer. Huge chord wing can handle any pitch angle and fly slooow.
Yes , the OP jawsqb hasn't logged in since April 4th , and he mentioned that this was a school project due in a week and a half ...... so he's probably given up .

I agree that the NutBall is easy to build and a great flyer . One advantage of the EzFly and the Super Easy is the protected motor/prop .... can be VERY helpful to a beginner who may nose it into the ground !

Here is my NutBall ( SnowBall ) , balanced and trimmed to fly itself .... all I did is give it throttle :

SnowBall Autopilot (0 min 55 sec)
Apr 14, 2018, 09:42 AM
Scratch building addict
Cool vid nice nutball!
Apr 16, 2018, 12:00 PM
Thanks for the welcoming words BoC! I look forward to many postings here. I admit I went straight to 4 channel for building since I've had a couple of 2 channels and was never happy with kinda going in circles(you know the elevatorless throttle for elevation kids planes). I'll post some vids if I can figure that out
Any users near bay area in Ca?
Apr 16, 2018, 12:14 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGill1
I'll post some vids if I can figure that out
If you have a video on YouTube or Vimeo , just copy the URL (web address) for that video's page ..... then paste it right here in your post . Let's see what you've got !
Apr 16, 2018, 12:22 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGill1
Any users near bay area in Ca?
At the top of this page is a "Places" button . Click on it and enter your location , it will give you a list of flying sites , RC hobby shops , etc ....... in your area .

Next to the "Places" button is a "More" button , drop down that menu and click on "Regions" . Find your region and there will be posts by other RC Groups members who live in your region .

Quick Reply