Jul 13, 2019, 06:31 PM
Thread OP
Here's a video of the flight:
First flight of 2019 with my big EL-39 (5 min 8 sec)
to remove ads between posts
Jul 14, 2019, 01:08 AM
That was beautiful. Very nice
Jul 15, 2019, 05:33 PM
Thread OP
I forgot to mention that I spent 3200 mAh on that five minute flight. It felt like a spirited flight and I wasn't trying to save energy. I can theoretically fly almost 8 minutes like this, which is pretty incredible. Reality is probably more like 7, but I'm pretty happy with the performance balance.
Jul 15, 2019, 06:12 PM
Plane crazy
Amazing plane!

Well done.
Jul 16, 2019, 01:39 AM
Glad to see you flying again! : )

Really a beautiful plane and nicely flown. The power consumption is impressive, never thought that one can achive such long flight times.
I was wondering if I should get higher capacity batteries for mine, but after reading your last post, I'm sure that my 5000mAh Lipos will do the job.

Mine is growing. The fuselage is assembled and the inner wing parts are glued on. At the moment I'm printing the control surfaces and then hopefully the first electronic parts will arrive.
Jul 16, 2019, 02:54 PM
I balanced the impeller today, but since I never did that before, I'm not sure, if it's done correctly.
In the most tutorials they put some weight on the inside of the spinner, but this one has an integrated fan (which is great!) and I considered it as a bad idea to put epoxy there....

Lynxman, you suggest to stick pieces of aluminum foil to the backside of the blades. That's what I finally did.
Could you please have a look at the picture and tell me, if it should look more or less like this?
Last edited by apocalypsedude; Jul 16, 2019 at 03:10 PM.
Jul 16, 2019, 03:15 PM
Thread OP
That should work. I like to wrap the foil around the leading edge so that it won't peel.

Here you can see two large patches I put on my He-162 fan, wrapped around the leading edge of the blades on the lower left in the picture.
Jul 16, 2019, 03:39 PM
Thanks!
Jul 17, 2019, 07:45 AM
Next silly question…

I only balanced the impeller statically. I’m wondering how to balance it dynamically.

The common method of balancing it dynamically seems to be to find the position of the impeller on the motor shaft, where it vibrates least.
Now the tricky part. If I drill a hole in the shaft to secure the impeller to it, the position is fixed and I can’t turn it on the shaft to find a better spot. To drill the hole after the balancing procedure might have the effect, that this isn’t the “sweet spot” any more.

Any advise anybody?
Jul 17, 2019, 09:14 AM
Thread OP
I use aluminum tape, spin it up, test apply tape, and spin it up again.
Jul 17, 2019, 09:35 PM
Plane crazy
You can use your phone to measure the vibration
Jul 18, 2019, 01:15 AM
Thank you both!

My problem was just how to change something, if I can't turn the impeller on the shaft, if it's secured by the screw.

But if I understand Lynxman right, he doesn't turn the impeller, but adds some tape to one random blade and tests if it is an improvement or not. Depending on the result, the tape is applied to the next blade and so on.
Correct?
Jul 18, 2019, 09:14 AM
Thread OP
Yes, I run the motor and just feel the vibrations and move tape around until it's as good as I can get it to be. I dont' burnish the tape down when I do this, just apply it lightly and run up partial throttle. When I found the right spot I make a new piece of tape and burnish it on to the blades.
Jul 18, 2019, 03:48 PM
Lynxman,

I haven't glued fuse 4 to fuse 5 yet, where the fan is installed. When the fan assembly is fitted in there, and it fits perfectly, it doesn't look too easy to get out.
What have you found to be the best procedure to assemble and disassemble this?

I've used PLAFlex on the rubber seals and they are pretty strong to flex around enough.
Jul 18, 2019, 03:58 PM
Thread OP
I've never had a problem installing or removing the fan unit. The rubber parts make it easy to install and remove. I've used the same fan unit in all three EL-39 I have made.

Quick Reply