Mar 28, 2018, 11:36 PM
Micro-Turbine Superhero
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanflyer
Be advised that printed ducted fan rotors are NOT strong enough for use in 120mm
The print is never stronger then you make it. It's obvious different printers end up with different results. Some are very well strong enough, where the limit goes is up to test. That's why I jokingly asked for Lynx to point it west aka away from Sweden.

It would make more sense printing the mold for the fan rather then the fan! 3D printing is not about using the printed product but to get to a usable product from it.

Moldes para inyección de plástico (1 min 33 sec)

I happen to work with 3D printers now days and you can do cool stuff such as a thrust tube for the little jet engine....

Impossible (0 min 43 sec)
to remove ads between posts
Mar 29, 2018, 04:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by henke
I happen to work with 3D printers now days and you can do cool stuff such as a thrust tube for the little jet engine....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cucHLe6Wv6A

WOW HENKE cools stuff !!

What kind of ABS is this?!!?

Is that metal ?!

Yes, impossible is the right title for that vid !!!
Mar 29, 2018, 05:22 AM
Micro-Turbine Superhero
Quote:
Originally Posted by erh7771

WOW HENKE cools stuff !!

What kind of ABS is this?!!?

Is that metal ?!

Yes, impossible is the right title for that vid !!!
The injection molding tools are made in a polyjet printer, it's an UV-curing epoxy to explain it simple. The printer mixes different blends of epoxy to get the wished results. Example a flexible goof and the standard epoxy goof to get silicon like prints, or two blends to get this digital ABS that's strong enough for making injection molds forms. It's got it's limits too, but doing it right the capability is great!

The thrust tube is metal, 0.8mm thick titanium, printed. It will go in an airplane that is "impossible" to convert to turbine. I'm shoehorning with reality to make it work, still not certain.... learning a lot though!

Makes cool colors when heated up. The coloring is good as I can see where it was as hottest and then change the design accordingly

Mar 29, 2018, 06:40 AM
Thread OP
Very cool. I'd love to be able to print metals.

I do have a large CNC router capable of milling aluminum, and soft steel. If I want a super high power fan I can 3D mill one from aluminum.
Mar 29, 2018, 07:31 AM
Micro-Turbine Superhero
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynxman
Very cool. I'd love to be able to print metals.

I do have a large CNC router capable of milling aluminum, and soft steel. If I want a super high power fan I can 3D mill one from aluminum.
Cool, or mill molds for carbon work.
Mar 29, 2018, 02:11 PM
Thread OP
Printing a 1,8 m long jet will take a while. It'll be so worth it! Currently just a sports jet. Scale accuracy is so much more work.
Last edited by Lynxman; Mar 29, 2018 at 02:43 PM.
Mar 30, 2018, 06:00 AM
Thread OP
97% FSA air intake and 95% exhaust.
Mar 31, 2018, 04:16 PM
Thread OP
Quickly mirroring the model to see what it looks like so far.
Mar 31, 2018, 09:57 PM
Nice modeling work!
Mar 31, 2018, 10:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynxman
Printing a 1,8 m long jet will take a while. It'll be so worth it! Currently just a sports jet. Scale accuracy is so much more work.
Not when you have a printer that does .6meters in Z height.
Apr 01, 2018, 07:57 AM
Thread OP
I improved the scale accuracy of the rear fuselage.
Apr 01, 2018, 09:05 AM
Nice cad work !
Apr 01, 2018, 02:16 PM
Thread OP
Thanks. It's pretty close to scale now, except for slightly oversize intakes. Not sure if I will bother with the fowler flaps, or flaps at all, on the prototype. I'd prefer to keep the weight down rather than add complicated flaps.

Thinking that I will make the 120 mm EDF version for 300x300 printers and maybe an 80 mm EDF version for regular 200x200 printers.
Apr 02, 2018, 08:49 AM
Thread OP
I should get the motor and ESC tomorrow. Looking forward to testing. I hope I was overworking the old motor and thrust increases at previously measured power levels.

I ordered a JGAurora A5 printer from Banggood as well.
Apr 03, 2018, 09:52 AM
Thread OP
I'm considering designing an ESC compartment that exposes the ESC to the intake airflow. Is that a horrible idea? It won't be immediately in front of the fan, and not in the middle of the airflow, and I think I will make a small duct from the APU intake on the side and up to the ESC so that it sucks air past the ESC into the air intake. 3D printing lets me make all kinds of complicated ducts and channels for air and cable managment.

Quick Reply