Weight

Right Wing 730 grams
Left Wing 725 grams
Fuselage 5620 grams
Joiner 180 grams

AUW is 8455 grams (inc Batteries') - 18.6 pounds

Just need to wait for good weather to fly now

ps
had to add 120grams weight to tail to Balance and it never came with the tail decal
so found and printed one out.
Last edited by Terminater; Mar 23, 2018 at 02:30 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 24, 2018, 06:03 AM
So many planes, so little time
Beautiful! I ordered mine from Tower Hobbies yesterday (pre-order) so hopefully it arrives in April as planned.
Mar 25, 2018, 11:01 PM
Thread OP
Well it Flies and Flies very well.

Used the CG measurement of 5 inch (128mm) from LE and show in picture below , didn't use the Jig supplied as that would place the CG
about a Inch or so further back which would of need about 2 or 3 once more weight under the tail and maybe make the plane tail heavy.

As it was plane only need slight left and up trim to fly hands off..

It has a surprising good glide and took a lot of runway to land without flaps , used them later and it was a lot shorter..

Stalls were gentle and only drop a wing if forced.

Control movements as show in manual are good.

Woody gave it the Thumbs up after the flight
Mar 29, 2018, 07:18 PM
Beautiful airplane. Thought I would ask if it is fabric covered?

I helped a friend finish his SR-9 late last year. Unfortunately work and collage is keeping him so busy he hasn't flown it yet.
Mar 29, 2018, 07:54 PM
Thread OP
No its not fabric covered is the Oracover / Ultracote
Mar 31, 2018, 11:02 AM
I was not able to bend the trim covering around the tail feathers. Do tell, how did you do that?

I will post some photos of the mods, if you want to see them.
Mar 31, 2018, 04:52 PM
Thread OP
This is a ARF plane didn't have to do the covering sure post the pics

also the wheels I used where the dubro Treaded Wheel, 4-1/2 DUB450TL

Quick Video below
ps servos are HS-645mg not the 945 on video

Phoenix Stinson Relaint 30cc (6 min 31 sec)
Last edited by Terminater; Apr 02, 2018 at 01:27 AM. Reason: added video
Apr 03, 2018, 11:47 AM
Here are the photos you wanted to see.

First up is the owner on delivery day. He will finish the exhaust and final assembly.

The small forward hatch hides the fuel dot and I forgot to include a photo of the battery hatch added to the bottom.

The photos are large so click them for detail study.

Edit: I deleted the photos from the wrong file and all of my posts no longer have photos.
Last edited by PC Pilot; Sep 09, 2019 at 12:50 PM.
Apr 13, 2018, 01:12 AM
Thread OP
Another quick video

Phoenix Relaint 30cc (6 min 52 sec)
Jun 02, 2018, 12:20 PM

Maiden Flight! ... well,sort of.

Finally got the Reliant to the airfield, but it was too damn windy, and a cross-wind at that. Discretion being the better part of valor, I decided to just do some taxi testing on our grass airfield. In one particular high-speed run, the tail was up and the mains briefly rose above the ground - flying! OK, it was probably for about 10 feet total, but whatever...

Here are some notes about the plane from my experience so far:

* Overall, very impressed with the design of the plane. Most pieces and assembly seemed well thought-out.

* The wheel axles were particular impressive (bolt through a bushing design), but you need to Loctite the larger nut inside the wheel pants to make sure it doesn't come loose and rub against the wheel.

* I do wish the wing spar attachment had been set up with a blind nut and machine screw (at the wing) instead of a wood screw.

* Using a Leopard 1.60 motor, Gecko 120 Amp HV Esc, and CC PRO BEC inside the cowling, I ended up coming in extremely nose heavy. Couldn't balance at all with the two Gens Ace 6S 4000 60C batteries in the battery area. Ended up installing a tie-down area inside the cabin centered on the side doors (and right near the CG). Now it balances at 5" from the leading edge.

* Tail was squirrelly during the taxi runs until I tightened the cables controlling the tail wheel. I will also be activating the rudder stabilizer in my Lemon receiver for the next outing.

* The battery hatch (canopy) was very hard to put in place until I trimmed the studs on the back side.

* Elevator rods were a bit too long, and probably should have been shortened. I ended up putting the servo arms at an angle to accommodate, which isn't the best solution.

*Missing the Stinson decal for the tail - guess I'll have to print one up. The registration number decal is awful - couldn't avoid bubbles, and really ruins the scale look.

* The black plastic rings for the wing tops that protects the access hole (for tightening the wing bolts) are a nice touch.

* Had to use a reverser on one of the elevator servos to get the proper direction.

* Flaps aren't dropping quite far enough (per the manual) without binding up. May be good enough.

* With the two 6S batteries, all up weight was about 18 pounds. With the throttle curve moved downward slightly, wide out throttle is giving me 1850 watts at 40 amps. Should be fine at about 100 watts per pound.

*Added some scale steps by cutting down and bending a 1/6 scale plastic ladder I found on ebay - looks pretty good!

* The goofy spinner has to go - soon as I find a prop nut with a 12mm thread.

* The plastic faux cylinders were way off scale - you would be able to see the tops of the cylinders from the front of the cowl. Ended up getting a Top Flite 1/5 scale dummy - much better. The entire middle part had to be carved up to fit the motor, but the rest of it looks good. I may just paint the front of the motor gun metal gray to blend in.

All -in- all, a great plane. I look forward to a slightly longer flight in the near future!

Last edited by USMA82; Jun 04, 2018 at 06:31 AM.
Jun 20, 2018, 09:51 AM
Have you had a chance to fly it again?
Jun 20, 2018, 12:00 PM
Not yet - still waiting for perfect conditions - not too hot, not too sunny, and no wind.

In the words of the Hobbyking reps, "Soon"....

Meanwhile, I am continuing to make little adjustments - finally printed out the Stinson logo on clear label stock and applied to the horizontal stabilizer. I locked in the axle bushings with some blue thread locker so they won't loosen up again and lock the wheels. I also attempted to adapt a silver spinner prop hub from an old model to put in place of the black spinner. Looks better, but I'm not sure how long it will last.

Note: the prop adapter that came with the 1.60 size Leopard motor has a 12mm x 1.75 thread. Unfortunately, the only 12mm prop nut available from Tru Turn has a 1.50 thread - close, but no cigar.

As soon as I get a real flight in, I'll be sure to report!

Jun 20, 2018, 08:11 PM
Well, as it turns out, this evening was the perfect time for a maiden!

Got three flights in, and all were fantastic! My concerns about stability given the tapered wing seem to be unfounded, and it was very solid in all maneuvers.

Takeoffs were without issue - maybe a slight tail wiggle, but that should be addressed once I turn on the rudder gyro. Despite tightening the three tail wheel grub screws as much as possible, there is still some play. Tail lifted up and with a little additional speed was off in a nice shallow climb. Plenty of power with the Leopard 1.60 and 12S, spinning a 17x6 Xoar prop (non-electric).

After a few trim circuits, I brought it up to 3 mistakes high, cut the power, and gave it full up elevator - it refused to stall! All it did was mush straight ahead, with barely a dipped wingtip! Next time I'll force a stall spin, but for tonight that was enough...

Cruising was at 1/2 throttle, with plenty of thrust to climb slightly. At full throttle it did a nice loop, a slow but decent roll, and decent wing over. It is at least as aerobatic as any cub I've flown. But, I don't plan on flying it in the next IMAC competition...

Landing was interesting. I kept up the speed in the turn to base, being still unsure of the possibility of tip-stalling. Upon turn to final I had to cut the thottle completely and then just add a few clicks from the bottom for a nice approach. That big wing really floats! I was expecting those 18 pounds to drop out of the sky when I cut power, but it didn't happen. The first and second landings were too fast (no flaps on first, 1/2 flaps on second), and I bounced a couple of times. On the final landing I used full flaps and achieved a nice mains-first landing that looked like I'd been flying this plane for years!

I had flights of 5, 7, and 8 minutes duration, and even with the longest I still showed approximately 50% battery capacity remaining. Nice, slow 10 minute flights should be no problem. The two batteries were Gens Ace 4000mAh 6S 60C.

Overall - very pleased with this plane. I'm looking forward to some more flights this weekend.

Jun 22, 2018, 09:20 PM
Six more flights today - I can't say enough good things about this plane. Looks like 10 minute flights will be the norm - with plenty of juice left for go-arounds. The rudder gyro did make a big difference on take-off. I'm still bouncing on landing, but I know that will be fixed with practice.

If you are considering this plane and are still on the fence - get off the fence! You'll love it.

Last edited by USMA82; Jun 25, 2018 at 06:14 AM.
Jul 06, 2018, 04:26 PM
Glad to hear your flights were all good ones. The bouncing is caused by your decent rate. I have found a little procedure that helps. I use a low approach like the full size planes do. My flair point is a few inches above ankle high and I use just enough elevator to fly parallel to the ground, for about 6 feet. I freeze the elevator and let the plane settle till wheel contact. I smooth in a little elevator to avoid a nose over while the tail settles to the ground.

The owner, of the airplane I finished, has been out of town a lot. I do not know if he has flown it yet.

You have a wonderful airplane and I hope you have many years of fun with it.
Last edited by PC Pilot; Jul 07, 2018 at 08:32 AM.

Quick Reply