Mar 22, 2018, 05:43 PM

Estate - recommendations on selling?

I recently moved into a new team at work, and the husband of one of my new co-workers died last year. He was heavily into modeling and RC. He had a large amount of RC aircraft, and a wall full of plastic, wood, and RC plane kits. She showed me some photos (which I'm trying to get for here; they were pretty impressive). She has no idea what to do with them all, and would love to find homes for the stuff in some fashion. I agreed to reach out to the club and general modeling communities for ideas.

I'm sure she could box it all up and take it to an auction, but not sure that would be the best method, and if there were interest in the club or other clubs, it might be better to do some sort of focused sale of this type of stuff, rather than a generic auction. I would welcome anyone's input on this.

It also hit me, although she didn't have pics of this, that he had to have a bunch of radios and modeling-specific tools. I will see what I can find out there.

Dennis
to remove ads between posts
Mar 26, 2018, 11:42 AM
OK, here are some photos. This is a portion of what he had; she showed me more pics, and even those were not everything. There are several multiples of the kits visible in the photos.
Mar 27, 2018, 09:08 AM

Donate?

Some thoughts... Perhaps she could donate the RC related items to Fly-A-Ways, which could then sell them to support the club. The club could provide her with a receipt for a charitable donation (if the club is a registered non-profit). The non-RC related items (plastic model kits) could likely find a home with a local community organization that would want to use them in their youth programs. Seems that this approach would be an excellent way of honoring her husbands love of modeling.
-Dennis G.
Mar 27, 2018, 10:29 AM
Those are both interesting thoughts and I will definitely run them by her, thanks.
Mar 29, 2018, 09:33 AM
Fly-A-Ways is a registered "Non-Profit", and as such does not pay income tax, but it is not a charitable organization. She would not be able to take a deduction for any contribution to the club..

Regards,

Dennis
FAW Treasurer 2009-2016
Mar 29, 2018, 12:50 PM

Okay...

Thanks for that info, Dennis! This means that she could still donate to the club, just that she wouldn't receive a receipt for a charitable donation. She can still do this to honor her husbands memory, and it would be easier than trying to sell them on Craigslist or at a garage sale.
Mar 30, 2018, 03:41 PM
OK, she's open to the idea of the sale, but I didn't see the bit about the non-profit before I discussed with her. I also mentioned that possibly she could split the proceeds with the club in some fashion if that was preferred, as long as the club were to get some benefit, and as long as the club were open to that. I don't know if the donation changes the equation for her.

She is motivated to clear things out. I also found out a bit more details: he passed in February, and she has to talk to her lawyer about any sales. She also has no idea how to value any of this. She really needs an inventory and some help understanding what some of the stuff actually is, especially built aircraft, radios, drones, tools, etc. Sounds like good chunk of the aircraft were built by him. I'm going to do my best to help her get started on that, which will help understand the scope of what she has.

Quick Reply