May 10, 2019, 09:46 AM
Build, crash...repeat
Thread OP
I have another version of this in 30" wingspan, with even more dihedral. But the ailerons are full span. That baby will spin like a top at 100% throws and I can fly it inverted. So personally I don't think it's the dihedral limiting the roll rate. I'll make the mods this weekend and give it a try and I'll update everyone.

Hope to see other's builds too!

thanks for looking and for all the comments.

I seem to come in for a landing way too hot most of the time, and I don't have a good landing strip. My lawn might be nice to land in, but there are multiple obstructions to dodge and I have not been able to do that well so far.
Last edited by AleRRon; May 10, 2019 at 09:54 AM.
to remove ads between posts
May 12, 2019, 07:33 AM
Build, crash...repeat
Thread OP
Hereís a video of my most recent flight with the ailerons now full span. The first few seconds are on low rates and everything is on high rates after that. Definitely more agile. Inverted flight was easy.

RV4 full span ailerons (3 min 12 sec)
May 12, 2019, 04:35 PM
Build straight - Fly twisty
That's nice!
You mentioned above that you need some advise on landing technique.
The landing shown here was going perfectly until you did a couple of ham-handed 'stick-back' inputs in the final stage of the approach.
If you had just let the plane come in smoothly and applied gentle 'back-stick' when the wheels were brushing through the top of the grass, the landing would have been as good possible on that surface.
It's all a matter of timing...
May 12, 2019, 08:23 PM
Build, crash...repeat
Thread OP
Thanks for the landing advice, Whiskers. I am ham-handed in general, and probably more so on landings. Iíll try to be more gentle with the controls. That field was freshly plowed, so there were a lot of wheel-eating clods of dirt too that didnít help
May 12, 2019, 11:20 PM
Build straight - Fly twisty
Gentle and smooth on the controls is what you need plus timing. Not too much, not too little, not too early, not too late... Everything just right. which is not easy, and it's very easy to get wrong.
Just think of old Whiskers standing behind you and saying, "Keep it coming, keep it coming, good, good, just like that."
And as the wheels are almost on the ground, "Gentle stick back!" and, "Well done!" as the plane touches down perfectly.
Last edited by Whiskers; May 12, 2019 at 11:27 PM.
May 13, 2019, 11:33 AM
Build, crash...repeat
Thread OP
I'll try that in the future I never had an RC mentor, had to teach myself and break a lot of foamies!

Quick Reply