to remove ads between posts
May 19, 2018, 07:34 PM
Build straight - Fly twisty
It will be in order for our Chinese members.
May 22, 2018, 05:48 AM
Build, crash...repeat
Thread OP

Monobloc

Itís best to take care of the details on this before gluing everything to it. Holes for wires, pushrods, make and install the firewall. Iíve made different styles of firewalls. This one is a little heavier but itís sturdy and allows for easy motor changes without worrying about stripping out any screw holes. I dry fitted the mount and motor to see if the spinner Iíll install later would clear the nose. Turned out I had to add a layer of foam and use some nylon stand-off spacers. I glued the firewall on after I took these pictures.
Gluing the fuse together coming next.
Nov 09, 2018, 06:53 AM
Build, crash...repeat
Thread OP

Finally

Sorry guys, this thread went dead since May. Too many things going on and this project suffered and was on hold. Below are pics of the paintless project. I feel it flies and I donít destroy it right away, Iíll paint it.
Electronics are
4 x 9 g cheap servos
Value Hobby G Force E400 2812 1200 kv motor
G Force 40A ESC
Flysky rec
1300 mA 3S Lipo, it could take up to 1800 in the battery bay I think, but I donít have one. A 2200 is too tight.
AUW is 635g

Wish me luck on the maiden
Nov 09, 2018, 07:41 AM
Set the plane up properly. Check and double check everything.
If anything is slightly suspect; don't fly until you fix the problem.
Make sure the controls are all moving smoothly and in the correct direction.
Fly in calm and non turbulent conditions in a large unobstructed area.

And then you will not need luck on the maiden flight.
Nov 09, 2018, 08:38 AM
Foamy and Glider fanatic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskers
Set the plane up properly. Check and double check everything.
If anything is slightly suspect; don't fly until you fix the problem.
Make sure the controls are all moving smoothly and in the correct direction.
Fly in calm and non turbulent conditions in a large unobstructed area.

And then you will not need luck on the maiden flight.

^^^^^ What he said!

You would not believe how long it took me to understand the importance of those guidelines Whiskers posted above!

Once I followed them maiden flights became a lot less eventful.
Nov 09, 2018, 11:43 AM
Retired CAD guy
Wow , I'd forgotten about this.

Best of luck with you maiden flight.
Jan 14, 2019, 09:31 PM
Build, crash...repeat
Thread OP

Maiden

Jeez I move at a dead snails pace. I finally decided I had practiced enough with a few slap-together planes to take this baby up. Took off from pavement and man did it fly nice! Very easy and stable and well mannered. Iíve heard low wingers were tricky but this one wasnít at all. Could do some loops but rolls were slow. I had both dual rates set up low so Iím sure it can do more after I change the rates. Video shows pieces of the flight. I didnít have a helper or headcam so I just propped up my iPhone so itís not great

Scratchbuilt Vans RV4 Maiden (0 min 50 sec)
Jan 15, 2019, 10:39 AM
It does look to fly really well, nice work
May 06, 2019, 09:30 AM
Build, crash...repeat
Thread OP
New flight footage. I am able to do some "slow" aerobatics, but I'm not satisfied with the roll rate. The plane really is a nice easy flyer, very stable and easy to handle. The ailerons do not extend to the wingtips and so that may be the reason for the slow roll rate. I'm going to extend them all the way out and see how that works. If no change, I'll build another wing with larger aileron surface.

RV-4 Take Two (1 min 35 sec)
May 06, 2019, 01:41 PM
treefinder
Looks good in the air. Definitely a slow roller! You are not too far from full span, so wouldn't think that would enhance the roll much. You can probably almost double the chord of the ailerons. But she's a good looking and flying plane!
May 06, 2019, 03:38 PM
I can't see much wrong with that roll-rate.
360į in 2 seconds aint bad.

It's the choice of landing sites that needs work.
May 06, 2019, 09:34 PM
Build, crash...repeat
Thread OP
Thanks guys. Iíll update soon. I like how she flies in general.
Itís not the landing site at fault though, itís the pilot!
I need landing lessons
May 06, 2019, 10:27 PM
It sure looks good in the air. If you decrease the dihederal you can increase the roll rate, but then it wouldn't be such an easy flier
May 10, 2019, 08:53 AM
I Look, Listen, and Learn
Quote:
Originally Posted by AleRRon
I need landing lessons
Wheels down, nose up, pucker butt...there you go.
Looks good in the air.
Now that most of the corrections are done to the plans I'm gonna try to build this one. Off work next week, so I'll have some time to kill. A little more aileron and maybe like Lawn Dart suggested, little less dihedral for me, I like to have fun with my planes.

Quick Reply