Van's Aircraft RV-4 - Page 2 - RC Groups
Apr 08, 2018, 07:58 PM
treefinder
Rats, just wrote a long answer, and the net sucked it into the ether! Well, here's the short version. Bob, I note that your sketchup file is version 17. If you will do a save as and save it as version 7, and upload it, I'll do the PDFs for you. That's what you want. Vector PDF gives fine, accurate lines, JPG or any of the "picture" formats give jaggy pixelated lines.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 08, 2018, 08:51 PM
Build, crash...repeat
Hey Mike, thanks for the offer! I figured if I whined and begged, someone would come to the rescue. I was actually surprised at how good the JPEG came out when printed; the lines were only slightly fuzzy. Perfectly usable. But a PDF would certainly be better. I uploaded the file as you requested. You'll see the original 3 view with my tracings, two "sheets" with the parts laid out- one large and one small. And the 3D model made from the parts. Feel free to move things around as you see fit. Can't wait to see the final product! I want to get started on this baby.
Bob
Apr 09, 2018, 08:27 AM
treefinder
Looking at your screen shots the bird looks like she will be both a great looker and flyer, so congrats! I will get on the pdfs.
Apr 09, 2018, 10:20 AM
treefinder
Here ya go. I exploded all the groups, rotated then flattened it to the x-y axis. Not sure all that would have been necessary, but it has insured a good conversion in past. Printed the file to cutepdf and imported to Scale and Tile, formatted cropping to get 15 letter sheets. There is the original full sheet and the tiled sheets in two files. Enjoy!
Apr 09, 2018, 12:13 PM
Build, crash...repeat
Awesome Mike! Thanks. Readying weapons for cutting although this weekend might be a bust. Family matter came up.
Apr 09, 2018, 01:26 PM
treefinder
Stuff just seems to keep happening, doesn't it? It's the time of our lives. . . .
Apr 10, 2018, 10:41 AM
Scratch building addict
Alerron you saved my butt and would have saved me hours of work a few days ago.

Didn't know what you meant, but it's the actual program window that determines the size of the exported 2D image....

Bizzare!

Thanks again.
Apr 10, 2018, 02:47 PM
Scratch building addict
update - I had Sam Kinison moments trying to get the sketchup prog. window to crop my 2D exported file. The X-direction works fine, but the y consistently resizes the image refusing to crop the edges.

Must be some setting I had wrong, back to pixels per inch in graphics prog. it works, but slow.
Apr 10, 2018, 05:36 PM
Retired CAD guy
Here is my take on the RV-4 v7 proffered earlier.

It all fits on 2 ea. 48x24 MPF sized format.

Bob
Apr 10, 2018, 06:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdofplay
While enjoying this thread,

So I'm thinking or combining several methodologies.
1.) 3D Milling the Fuse halves from a block of extruded Foam. I got a new Toolpath program.
2.) Then Build the Wings from MPF/Depron Foam sheeting for lightness,
3.) and then adding Cheek Cowls that are 3D Printed, possibly the Canopy too.

Meanwhile I'll be looking for those cutting plans here ;>} !
Thanks for the tiled Pdf's --Printing now.

Not having 3D milling capability. I was thinking similar, but will use a vert. hot wire and the plan template to cut a "slab " fuselage from EPS foam insulation- hollowing spaces for Sx, Rx, etc..-sanding to round edges- iron on laminating film for strength and to hold paint.

BTW, I think my plans came out slightly undersize??? Wing panel measures 18-1/8"- should it be full 20" for 40" span? or is it meant to be external to the fuselage side?
Apr 10, 2018, 06:16 PM
If anyone in interested in looking over a balsa version of the RV-4, Stevens Aero is doing a build in their latest edition of "balsabuilder" mag. Still waiting for them to post some pics and a kit on their website. I had just been checking the RV-3 plans (40") on outerzone. That's why I noticed and subscribed to this Thread.

Thanks again- AleRRon- for the plans and Springer for the tiling.
Last edited by Draggin'Tail; Apr 11, 2018 at 12:06 PM.
Apr 10, 2018, 07:42 PM
I'm interested, might do a beta build, but I'd like it if parts were labled
Apr 10, 2018, 09:18 PM
Build, crash...repeat
Draggin and all
For reference, the wing is 18 49/64. I know, weird dimension, but that's what I got when I traced the 3 view. In any case, if yours turned out slightly different, all the parts will be different by the same amount so it should work fine. You may just have to enlarge the slots for the rudder and HorStab and the wing center section; they should be 1/4 or 6 mm if you use MPF. There is also a 2.5" center wing section connecting the two halves so the total wingspan should be 40.03 to be exact.

LDF
check my post, #10. I labeled everything there. we forgot to put that on the recent ones but either I or Mike can add them when we get a chance.

All
if you haven't built a monobloc plane yet, check out the Tony65x55 thread, I think it's a sticky. There are a bunch of examples there. These parts should all fit; I built it in 3D on the computer from the parts on the sheet in Sketchup and it all fit perfectly. There are few parts like the cowl covers that have to be rolled a little to curve but that's easy to do with foam board. I showed the 3D model using a Flitetest style airfoil. That should work fine, but one can also make the airfoil in a slightly different way with a smoother top. I've done that on my recent Piper Cherokee and it works well too. On the plan there is a 1/4 x/14 by 18 49/64 piece that is not foam board; it's spruce or other light wood and along with the spar brace makes up the wing support. Some will say it's not needed with the Flitetest style wing, and that may be true, but I like it. I guess you can try either way. This is a beta so together we'll probably have to figure a few things out along the way. I hope to start mine soon.
Last edited by AleRRon; Apr 10, 2018 at 09:33 PM.
Apr 10, 2018, 10:04 PM
treefinder
I set my "model info" to inches, fractions, 1/16 when I am doing English. Too hard to figure in 64ths! Lately I have been doing more designs in metric to refresh my intuition, but still find inch dims more intuitive.
Apr 11, 2018, 08:53 AM
Retired CAD guy
Re missing labels:

consider that Some times Labels and Parts are the SAME COLOR as the back ground ...

THAT makes therm invisible.

Try HighLiting everything
or
Change the background to a different color.

Quick Reply