RCG Place of the Month - Tri-City Flyers

This month's featured Place is the Tri-City Flyers located in Seguin and Kingsbury, Texas. They actually have two fields, one is on the old unused runways of the Randolph Aux Field and the other is located at the Old Kingsbury Aerodrome.

Splash

RCGroups March Place of the Month

Every month we like to feature a group from our Places page. There are literally thousands of Places listed, pointing out sites like flying fields, hobby shops, race tracks and boat ponds all over the world. The RC Map is a great way to find a new place near you and meet some new friends.

This month's featured Place is the Tri-City Flyers located in Seguin and Kingsbury, Texas. They actually have two fields, one is on the old unused runways of the Randolph Aux Field and the other is located at the Old Kingsbury Aerodrome. Their goal is to promote the model aviation hobby in the local area. Membership fees are reasonable and they offer free memberships to active duty military personnel permanently assigned to one of the San Antonio military bases. You do need an AMA membership to fly and the club hosts several large events throughout the year.

Check out the Tri-City Flyers Places Page

Mar 25, 2018, 05:20 AM
It's not that great, they actually have one person that runs the club from the floor of the club meetings, the EC does whatever he says. They have very restrictive rules, one being a two person rule, other rules include no flying during the week except in the evening, mainly just weekends and holidays. I packed the meeting to vote on changing the two person rule because the majority of club members wanted it done away with, two votes against and it still did not pass, the EC found a way to go against the majority of club members to cater to the one club member.

No one follows the rule, they need to keep the one person happy so I had the secretary and president tell me they needed to keep the rule to keep the one person happy and that we could just go fly by ourselves if we want. This weakens the club rules and makes it easier for club members to disregard the other rules and that makes it less safe.

The two person rules hurts the club because people who live further away can't afford to drive out and not have someone there and have to drive home. Also when everyone wants to leave and you don't, well you have to leave also. I had several people tell me the reason they will not join is because of the two person rule. I quit the club because of this rule and the authoritarian nature of the club.

On more than a few occasions I planned to fly a day with a fellow club member, I spend a day preparing my planes. I show up at the field, assemble 3 jets and here my friend pulls up on the phone and says out the window, "sorry man, I have to skip flying today". There I am at the field, two days wasted and I cannot fly.

The club is in the authoritarian stage of decline, when I joined 10 years ago we had 170 members, now it's down to about 75 and only about 20 to 30 active. It's unfortunate that one person with his friend can do so much to bring a club down.

Fortunately I found a new flying site, I go flying anytime I want any day of the week!

The club needs new blood.

It needs to listen and cater to the majority of club members that actually use the facilities. The one person running the club from the floor only flies at club events.

It needs to get rid of restrictive rules, this will bring new members in, anything that makes it easier to fly and enjoy yourself will help the club.

Stop favoritism, no one club member is over another. Give the power back to the members.

Freedom, try it Tri City!
Mar 26, 2018, 07:46 PM
28 yrs. Of Aircraft flying
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dionysus
It's not that great, they actually have one person that runs the club from the floor of the club meetings, the EC does whatever he says. They have very restrictive rules, one being a two person rule, other rules include no flying during the week except in the evening, mainly just weekends and holidays. I packed the meeting to vote on changing the two person rule because the majority of club members wanted it done away with, two votes against and it still did not pass, the EC found a way to go against the majority of club members to cater to the one club member.

No one follows the rule, they need to keep the one person happy so I had the secretary and president tell me they needed to keep the rule to keep the one person happy and that we could just go fly by ourselves if we want. This weakens the club rules and makes it easier for club members to disregard the other rules and that makes it less safe.

The two person rules hurts the club because people who live further away can't afford to drive out and not have someone there and have to drive home. Also when everyone wants to leave and you don't, well you have to leave also. I had several people tell me the reason they will not join is because of the two person rule. I quit the club because of this rule and the authoritarian nature of the club.

On more than a few occasions I planned to fly a day with a fellow club member, I spend a day preparing my planes. I show up at the field, assemble 3 jets and here my friend pulls up on the phone and says out the window, "sorry man, I have to skip flying today". There I am at the field, two days wasted and I cannot fly.

The club is in the authoritarian stage of decline, when I joined 10 years ago we had 170 members, now it's down to about 75 and only about 20 to 30 active. It's unfortunate that one person with his friend can do so much to bring a club down.

Fortunately I found a new flying site, I go flying anytime I want any day of the week!

It needs to listen and cater to the majority of club members that actually use the facilities. The one person running the club from the floor only flies at club events.

It needs to get rid of restrictive rules, this will bring new members in, anything that makes it easier to fly and enjoy yourself will help the club.

Stop favoritism, no one club member is over another. Give the power back to the members.

WOW what a stupid rule.. yeah No way i would join or be part of a field like that.
Apr 03, 2018, 10:32 PM
Modeling Retread
Tri-City is a guest at an active, uncontrolled airport. The second person is the required spotter to keep an eye out for full scale activity.

The Old Kingsbury Aerodrome is the home of a company that builds WWI and Golden Age replicas. It’s pretty typical for the Museum and the build shops to be open for visitors during Tri-City events, a real treat. One time the were building a SPAD, my goodness what a lot of small parts in each of the multitude of ribs. Often they’ll bring out some planes and sometimes they demo them. Makes a great day.
Apr 06, 2018, 12:39 PM
Quote:

Nothing worse then overly structured and strict clubs where the people setting the rules often can't fly themselves. They put their own nervous energy into it and it ruins the vibe. The best pilots who are also passionate, friendly, safe, helpful and positive SHOULD ALWAYS set the rules and be president. The old timer WHO is their mostly to talk, gossip, come from ego trip and doesn't fly well SHOULD NOT. Skill set matters
Apr 10, 2018, 04:23 PM
AeroDan
Quote:

BEAUTIFUL site, but damn. Sounds like the powers-that-be are bitter & miserable, & want everyone else to feel that way, too, just to make themselves feel POWERFUL/UNTOUCHABLE. Sound’s like the Orange County, CA chapter of the International Plastic Modellers Society, whom I wasted 4-years with. Oh God forbid you made it through kindergarten the 1st time around. If you’re not part of their house-keys/car-keys/bank-account/spouse-sharing clique, you’ll NEVER be in good standing with the E-Board. I’m blessed with a nice, friendly R/C club field, 24 miles from where I live. We’re ONLY there to fly & have fun. PERIOD.
Last edited by Bell47G2; Apr 17, 2018 at 11:09 PM.
Apr 21, 2018, 09:51 PM
To clarify a bit, only the Sequin Auxiliary field (paved runway) is restricted to weekend flying, and that's because it's an active Air Force auxiliary runway used for pilot training during the week. The Old Kingsbury Aerodrome field (grass runway) is available 7 days a week, and a number of us do have fun flying there. And yes, full-scale planes can and do show up in the pattern with little or no warning, so a spotter is a must from a safety standpoint. That doesn't have to be another modeler either, just another pair of eyes on the sky.

Quick Reply