This thread is privately moderated by Miami Mike, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Mar 20, 2018, 11:17 PM
e^(iπ) + 1 = 0
Thread OP
Discussion

Shepard Tone Vario testers wanted

I need testers for my Shepard Tone Vario. You'll need a glider with an FrSky High Precision Vario or a G-RX8 with its built-in vario, plus an OpenTX radio. Other types of varios might also work as long as they show up on your Telemetry page. I know this works with my Taranis running OpenTX version 2.1.9, and it'll probably work with other types of FrSky radios using OpenTX version 2.2, but I need volunteers to confirm that and to share their overall impression of it.

This video shows how easy it is to install and set up. Watch it and then post below if you're interested in trying it out.

Shepard Tone Vario Demo (5 min 54 sec)

Here are the files you'll need to install the Shepard Tone Vario on your radio or test it with Companion simulator. The package was updated on November 29, 2018 with the "shepard.lua" filename shortened to "sheprd.lua" for compatibility with OpenTX 2.2, and the instructions have been rewritten:
Last edited by Miami Mike; Nov 29, 2018 at 01:58 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 29, 2018, 11:35 AM

Open TX

Hello Mike, thank you for the wonderful program for a vario that I have always looked for.
On the Simulator in Open TX 2.2.2 the shepard.lua runs like intended.
I hope to use it soon in real life, maybe around Christmas it could quite agreable weather in Munich.
What did you think would be not working in 2.2 ?
Roland
Nov 29, 2018, 01:02 PM
e^(iπ) + 1 = 0
Thread OP
I just did some testing with Companion 2.2.2, and here's what I found:

shepard.lua seems to work fine as is with OpenTX version 2.2.2 on a Taranis X9D+ radio. Although OpenTX 2.2 docs say that filenames are restricted to 6 characters on all radios*, it's apparently unnecessary to shorten the shepard.lua filename for use with a Taranis X9D+. (This is also true for WAV files played with the Play Track special function.) It's possible that it'll become necessary with future versions of OpenTX.

It is, however, necessary to rename the file to something like "sheprd.lua" before it'll show up as a Play Script special function choice when Companion 2.2 is set for a Horus radio, and probably for other newer radios that require version 2.2. Aside from the need for a shorter filename, the Shepard Tone vario appears to work normally.

I'll update the filename to "sheprd.lua" so that this will no longer be an issue.

I hope the Shepard Tone vario catches on, and I'm sure Helmut Stettmaier does as well.

* - From https://www.open-tx.org/2018/07/28/opentx-2.2.2:
Quote:
Due to changes introduces by Horus, image, sound, and script file names for ALL radio are restricted to 6 characters in most places.
Dec 19, 2018, 07:41 AM

still testing

Hi Mike

I downloaded your files and installed it on my OpenTX, because of the publication of Helmut Stettmaier in the last "modell flieger" (the magazine of the german modellers association).
All worked well in Companion and in Transmitter.
Just the volume of the wav-files had been to loud for me - I prefer the beeping in the background and louder spoken info. But that could be normalized with Audacity (I choosed -20dB).
And I changed the Period to 23 so the beeps are a little smoother.
Now all is perfect so far.
Because of missing thermals and temperatures about 0C (32F) I did no outdoor test. But the system seems to be really helpful at bad conditions, so I look forward to test it in early spring.

VERY GOOD JOB - THANK YOU

Willy
Dec 19, 2018, 08:18 AM
e^(iπ) + 1 = 0
Thread OP
You're welcome!

Since you mentioned it I'm going to look into creating a selection of WAV file sets over a range of amplitudes. It should be easy with the "chains" feature in Audacity, but I'll have to refresh my memory of how that works. Since the entire set is only 629 KB and is stored on an SD card of at least 1 GB capacity, I might combine it all into one big set so that the user can easily choose the amplitude that best balances with his voice announcements.

Watch this space.
Mar 08, 2019, 11:17 AM

Success

Hi Mike,

we had some mild days with very low thermals (the weather report said 0,5m/s). In that conditions I used your Shepard-LUA and I was impressed. You can hear the weakest thermals and it's possible to climb up in such conditions. It's much better than a normal vario in that case.
Maybe in hard thermal conditions it's too sensitive - but that I couldn't test till now.

Maybe I will change the "Period" again so the beeps will be a little more smooth.

I will hold you up to date

Willy
Mar 08, 2019, 01:08 PM
e^(iπ) + 1 = 0
Thread OP
Great! That's very encouraging. Please continue to keep me informed.
Aug 29, 2019, 02:56 PM
Entropy is happening!
This is interesting Mike.
What does this vario variant offer that the "standard" vario/OpenTx does not offer?
Aug 29, 2019, 07:07 PM
e^(iπ) + 1 = 0
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim.Thompson
This is interesting Mike.
What does this vario variant offer that the "standard" vario/OpenTx does not offer?
I started typing an answer and it grew, and grew, and grew, until I realized that what I was composing should be my next blog post.
Aug 29, 2019, 08:54 PM
Entropy is happening!
Very good, thanks for the explanation Mike. And the links embedded in you blog.

I will tackle it one day, but probably not at least until after my up coming flying festival. Also, as you will be aware.; I have to gain more knowledge and and expertise with OpenTx generally.
Sep 20, 2019, 08:31 AM
Hello all together!
I am runnung the script on a Tararnis X9 lite with OpenTX 2.3 and I always get a "lua syntax error".
The script does not run (most times - only one time it started and I heard the shepard tones - very strange).
Any ideas? I did not find anything about changed syntax in OpenTX 2.3.

Many greetings from germany
Achim
Sep 20, 2019, 10:52 AM
e^(iπ) + 1 = 0
Thread OP
The script runs for me in Companion 2.3.0RC4, Radio Type set to "FrSky Taranis X9-Lite", although I'm having difficulty getting the sensors set up so I'm only getting a single tone for zero altitude when varying altitude with Telemetry Simulator.

Please try these steps:
  1. Open Debug Output in Companion and tell me what the error message is that appears when you try to run the script.
  2. Make sure your Alt sensor is working by monitoring it on a "Numbers" telemetry page in Companion simulator.
  3. Make sure line #10 of the script has the same name that's assigned to your altitude sensor. For example, if the sensor is named "Alt" then line #10 should be this:
    Code:
    local Alt = getFieldInfo("Alt").id
  4. If you created a separate sensor as described in lines 7 - 9 of the script, make sure the name between quotes in line 10 matches the name of that sensor, like this:
    Code:
    local Alt = getFieldInfo("Altx").id
  5. If you still have trouble, please upload an OTX file here that contains just that one model.
There's a very real possibility that the fault lies in OpenTX Version 2.3, but I want to be sure before raising an issue on GitHub.
Sep 21, 2019, 02:42 AM
Hello Mike,
I am also on OpenTx 2.3RC4,

the debug says:
Error parsing script (2): /SCRIPTS/FUNCTIONS/sheprd.lua:10: attempt to index a nil value

Please see the attachment.

THX, Achim
Sep 21, 2019, 02:58 AM
Sorry, I had a type error in the Altx Sensor. Now in companion everthing is running fine and also in real life.

Thank you very much for your helpful work.
Sep 21, 2019, 07:51 AM
e^(iπ) + 1 = 0
Thread OP
That's good news! Please check back after you've had an opportunity to try it. I'd like to hear whether you think it achieves Helmut Stettmaier's goal as described in his RCSD article.

Quick Reply