Mar 19, 2018, 03:35 PM
Thread OP
Build Log

My RDBO Entry..... finally. "The Setter"

I finally decided on a rdbo subject. The Setter by A.H.Lee (The Bristol Model Company) I'm not changing anything. It will stay at 36" and rubber powered. There's still 3 months to build it, lots of time.....
Last edited by remitt; Mar 21, 2018 at 03:24 PM. Reason: added info
to remove ads between posts
Mar 19, 2018, 07:28 PM
Good luck, I'll be watching.
Mar 19, 2018, 07:36 PM
Culper Junior
Three months is only 12 Saturday’s and 12 Sunday’s. Better get the Balsa chips flying.
Glad to see you join the build off.
Mar 20, 2018, 12:29 AM
B for Bruce
Entered in the Builder's List. And what a great looking design! ! ! ! Low wing, rubber powered and with a great "could be scale" look. I'm rooting for ya!

I positively love the Miles/Stinson inspired wind screen shape. Although I guess given the notes on the plan we'd need to give the nod to Miles in this case.

Anyone know of any other company that used that style of reverse angled wind screen?
Mar 20, 2018, 06:32 AM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
Interesting subject from a small kit company which produced some off-beat designs in the 1940's
Mar 31, 2018, 02:07 PM
Thread OP
Lots of time for a second one A52.
I went looking for more of his designs but could only find a glider. I would like to see what else he has designed.

Some how I lost some of the pics I took of progress, my computer is like a dryer, it eats things sometimes. It has to be the puter because lord knows I'm a computer genius so it couldn't be me.

I could never build the peanut models, I envy those of you that can, I break bits and pieces so often I should probably cut a second right of the bat. For that reason basswood and gussets have been added to try and cut down on the carnage. Wing and stab tips are 1/32 laminated strips, I wasn't too sure that that would be strong enough but figured it had to be stronger then 1/16th sheet. I'm quite pleased with the extra strength. Trailing and leading edges are basswood, an additional 8 grams for the extra strength, a price I'm willing to pay. A bit of an oddity...the motor peg is tucked under the stab which might be a slight inconvenience, also the sub fin runs under the peg which will make getting at the rubber motor a little bit of a pain as I'm going to glue the stab on. I'm saving the wind screen for last, I like a challenge. I have absolutely no idea what the auw should but I'm shooting for 4.5 oz. (I don't think I'll need a dt ) What you see in the pics is 2.15 oz including the balsa wheels. The plans calls for 30' 1/8th rubber which I think is close to 3/4 of an oz, gonna be tight I think. The prop, ( which I'll carve) pitch is unreadable on either plan, any recommendations?... also... if I go over my target weight should I change the pitch? I have 1.2 mil (30 micron) laminating film, that and tissue for the finishing.
Last edited by remitt; Apr 08, 2018 at 01:17 PM. Reason: Add pics and clarify building detail.
Apr 12, 2018, 06:53 PM
Thread OP
It's coming along nicely, my camera is on the fritz so few pics... there was a little bit of a nasty twist in the fuse before covering but managed to get that worked out. Hand carved prop is 12" and 1.2 p:d ( a hair over 14 "). It's not clear on the plan what pitch it should be so I hope I'm on the right track. Just under 4 oz as it sits. I actually managed to get the stab seat lined up nicely so this is the very first model I have built with a removable stab, makes getting at the motor and peg a lot easier.
Apr 12, 2018, 09:43 PM
Crafty madness
Wow, remitt, that came out nice. Sure is a unique design.
Apr 13, 2018, 07:44 AM
Culper Junior
Nice! Reminds one of a 1930’s airliner.
Apr 13, 2018, 10:45 AM
B for Bruce
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeronca52
Nice! Reminds one of a 1930’s airliner.
That was my thought too as soon as I saw the plan.
Apr 13, 2018, 02:51 PM
Really does look good, as to pre war airlines looks to me like a single engine DC2
Apr 14, 2018, 12:09 PM
Thread OP
Thanks, with any luck it will be done today. Now if the weather would cooperate and let spring set in here I can get on with test glides and start trimming.
Hmmm...2 and 1/2 months to go.... a Sparky might just be in the works....
Apr 14, 2018, 04:00 PM
I'd rather be flying.....
Nice !

Best regards,

Jeff
May 14, 2018, 01:31 PM
B for Bruce
DId you ever get to do some flying?
May 14, 2018, 02:01 PM
Thread OP
Not yet, it's a couple more weeks before the grass will be long enough to do test glides but it will fly before the end of June.

Quick Reply