Dec 01, 2004, 07:35 PM
Suspended Account
Thread OP

Why're helis so unstable in reflex XTR?

The helis feel way too unstable in hover. Even the big helis. My CP piccolo and
my Shogun are way stabler than the models in the simulator. I tried
setting the wind to zero, that helped but not much. Am I missing
something? Also the helis are too stable in FF. I dont see the zoom
and the sideways movement that real helis do..Any ideas?
to remove ads between posts
Dec 01, 2004, 08:28 PM
In my opinion, the real helis are more stable than the helicopers in the sims, but you are much more affraid of crashing. Most people fly better on the sim than on their real bird. Because of that, the sim manifacturers make the models more unstable, so people will not say "simulator xyz is not realistic, I can do inverted easy but not in real world"
The truth is in the puke factor: You can walk easy on the ground over a plank, but if that same plank is put 100 feet high, you wouldn't walk for long.
Each sim is good for learning basic eye to hand coordination, nose in, inverted and engraving some stick movements into your brain, so when the time comes in real flight, you have the base skills to recover. The best is doing some sim time on specific flight element and flying the real thing after that. Noting beats burning fuel.
Dec 01, 2004, 10:53 PM
Where's the Kaboom?
skirtz-

Thanks for sheding light on the subject.
Dec 02, 2004, 06:01 PM
Suspended Account
Thread OP
Good explanation skirtz. Makes sense. Now, I'd rather have a realistic sim myself.
Is there any parameter I can play with to change the instability?
Dec 02, 2004, 06:51 PM
Alfahobbies
I have my rates on my Futaba 7ch radio at -80%. That seems to help a lot.
Dec 03, 2004, 12:51 PM
Suspended Account
Thread OP
You mean exponential? Cool. I'll give it a try.
Dec 03, 2004, 05:51 PM
Alfahobbies
That's right expo.
Sep 11, 2006, 04:55 PM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by microflite
The helis feel way too unstable in hover. Even the big helis. My CP piccolo and
my Shogun are way stabler than the models in the simulator. I tried
setting the wind to zero, that helped but not much. Am I missing
something? Also the helis are too stable in FF. I dont see the zoom
and the sideways movement that real helis do..Any ideas?
Stumbled on this thread while on topic os SIMS.

Not sure about other sims but Real Flight G3, actually allows you to edit many
aerodynamic control parameters so that you can fine tune the original aircraft file to obtain a more customized or even more realistic feel.

I have modified many helis by using the edit aircraft function in the standard G3 program into what are called Aircaft Variants, AV, other people do it also, using G3 so that the models fly with more realism, or even fly a little slower or crazier, to the real ones. The result is also dependent on the type of computer and, in particular, graphics card you have, so to achieve an acceptable seamless frame rate, so that the models appear to be flying very close to the real thing.

I am currently flying a modidied Raptor 90 G3 model and it has a very realistic feel, except I made mine a bit lighter so the control response is quicker. I love it!

Quick Reply