Mar 19, 2018, 09:35 AM
I'd rather be flying.....
Thread OP
Build Log

CAP 2018 - The Colt 35 - Flight videos added 6-22-19+7-1-19

Some years ago, I began construction of A. Schwemmer's " Colt 35 " from American Aircraft Modeler.

After moving and setting up the hobby room - some soul searching took place. I have no reason to build new planes with neglected, unfinished projects such as this one taking up space, and not flying.

So 2018 will be the year to complete the Colt. I'm building it from my original scans from the AAM - the Colt is a large ( for me ) single channel trike gear, high wing model. Mine is the original size.

We do not have internet access at our new house so posting has slowed considerably - I will add pics when possible. The fuselage, tail assembly, and wing are all built ... covering has begun on the stab, the wing is being prepped.

i'll link outerzone's plan ( Thanks Steve and everyone ).....

https://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=7105

more later,

jeff
Last edited by JeffMac; Oct 05, 2019 at 10:49 PM. Reason: sp/addtl 6-22-19
to remove ads between posts
Mar 19, 2018, 11:14 AM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
Nice to see you back at the balsa face Jeff, I'll post the Colt entry in the CAP2018.
Mar 19, 2018, 01:57 PM
Welcome back Jeff! Nice looking design.
Mar 19, 2018, 02:05 PM
Like they said, glad to see ya' back and building ! I hope the new place is working out nicely, Mike
Mar 19, 2018, 02:32 PM
Sounds fun Jeff! Happy gluing
Mar 19, 2018, 07:08 PM
Culper Junior
Godspeed Jeff!
Hard to turn a good balsa project down.
Mar 21, 2018, 09:16 AM
Thread OP
George - thanks for the nice comments - the Colt should be a nice flyer for me....

RobtP - thanks, the Colt is simple but just appealed to me... hopefully it will fly well....

Mike - thanks for the nice words

Al - thanks for the nice words ... yep, it should be a good one.... a 1966 classic....
+
Jim - thanks.... yes, this one has been setting for a long time. at least I had it covered so no dust or sediment got into the wood....

Thanks,

jeff
Mar 21, 2018, 09:22 AM
Thread OP
The new house is wonderful but was a lot of concentrated effort that left no time for my main Hobby ..... but , that is over now.
The Colt 35 wing had been covered but was a horrible result - thick fabric with brushed on white waterbase paint looked awful and weighed more than the structure of the 66" wing. It was promptly stripped and is being recovered now with polyspan.

It's amazing (all over again) how a material / supply surplus turns into a shortage as the planes get larger More polyspan needs ordered, only one wing panel bottom section and the stabilizer are covered...

The Colt 35 will be flown electric with no special tricks to lighten it up - the weight goal is no more than 5 lbs. Keeping it simple and hopefully able to fly in varying conditions is the goal. The motor is one obtained from BP hobbies several years ago and one flies my 60" Balsa USA Stick 40 size at 5 lbs on three LIPO cells with authority. Another one I have in stock will be used on the Colt 35...

More later,

Best regards,

jeff
Last edited by JeffMac; Mar 21, 2018 at 09:23 AM. Reason: sp
Mar 25, 2018, 09:16 PM
Thread OP
Some progress was made this weekend - the elevators we're hinged and installed, the rudder formed , hinged and installed..... Polyspan applied and clear WBPU applied..... Looks OK, some pictures were taken and will be posted soon.
I found the motor , it's a. 3520/6 outrunner bought from BP hobbies several years ago. These worked well so I bought several real
ly cheap......

More later,

Jeff
Mar 26, 2018, 06:59 AM
Brighto?
That's a nice selection Jeff. The Colt 35 looks to be an enlargement of the Milt Boone designed Charger which was kitted by Ambroid. The incidence angles of the wing and stab look exactly the same, the construction is similar with the exception of the vertical stab and rudder. Here's the plan links to both the AM plan and the Ambroid plan. What are you planning for controls? I'll bet dollars to doughnuts that if you fly it as rudder only, it will fly exactly the same way as the Charger.

https://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=464

https://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=2903
Mar 26, 2018, 09:19 AM
Thread OP
hi Mike -

Thanks for the comments..... RET is planned for this bird..... I agree it would fly fine with rudder and throttle but elevator has been added..... I'm sure i'll try rudder only aerobatics

The Colt just looks like a really nice flyer - if there was any deliberate copying from the Charger to the Colt, the designer picked a worthy model to base his off from , of course....

Best regards,

jeff
Mar 28, 2018, 05:13 PM
Thread OP

Some Colt 35 pics

All -

Finally, a breakthrough. Uploading pics from the cell seems to be working so here goes.. Nutmeg the indifferent shop helper , shows his enthusiastic side...

More later,

Jeff
Last edited by JeffMac; Mar 28, 2018 at 05:13 PM. Reason: Sp
Mar 31, 2018, 11:47 AM
Thread OP

More progress with a pic...

The Colt 35 is moving along, but lots left before completion.. after ten years, I have to actually buy new full size standard servos..... Never thought I would be doing that😊

More later,

Jeff
Mar 31, 2018, 11:51 AM
Culper Junior
Nice engine display Jeff, looks like each might have its own memory.
Apr 03, 2018, 09:45 PM
Thread OP
Thanks Jim.... They do have stories, some I know, others I never will know.

Colt 35 update - polyspan needs ordered to finish the wing covering... Dowels have been installed for wing and stab rubber bands. Two servos will be obtained this weekend from a Hobby Shop I will be near.

More later,

Jeff

Quick Reply