Apr 26, 2021, 03:03 AM
Thread OP
This week just a in-the-middle-of-work image. The other work did not fully materialize, so there was some time to work on the vertical stabelizer.

Fusion 360 has the ability to simulate movement. In this case of the rudder relative to the stab. That is quite convenient to see where components can touch each other, and thus where material has to be removed.

If the other work does not interfere too much, I hope to have finished this part in the next update.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 27, 2021, 01:11 AM
Hi,
very nice work.
I use Rhinoceros to draw. It's not as sophisticated as the Fusion 360.
I draw the basic shapes and then I finish everything by hand. My models are made from polystyrene, and they produced on a 3D CNC milling machine and accuracy is sometimes a challenge. At the moment I also have a CL 415 from an Aeronaut, the owner gave it to me, much of the work is done, just cover the model, install servos and engines

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcrien
This week just a in-the-middle-of-work image. The other work did not fully materialize, so there was some time to work on the vertical stabelizer.

Fusion 360 has the ability to simulate movement. In this case of the rudder relative to the stab. That is quite convenient to see where components can touch each other, and thus where material has to be removed.

If the other work does not interfere too much, I hope to have finished this part in the next update.
Apr 27, 2021, 03:31 AM
Thread OP
I am only starting in the CNC world. Much of the actual production techniques are still a mystery to me. And I admit that I am not sure yet if what I am doing will actually work out. Though of course I know that it must be possible, so I just keep going and see what happens.

It does take a lot of time to do everything parametrically. Though I have not kept a log, I guess I must have spend > 500 hours on this project already.

Btw, do you have pictures of the Aeronaut CL-415?
May 03, 2021, 04:42 AM
Thread OP
The V-stab was finished, and a good deal of the H-stab as well. Only the vertical winglets (?) are remaining.

The total weight of the entire plane for all wood, CFRP and nylon (hinges) comes to about 3600 grams as reported by Fusion360.

Just guessing, but add another half a kg for glue/other, and 2 kg for the landing gear, rc & motors then the total flying weight would sit at about 6Kg or 60gr/dm^2. Not too bad but not great either.

I will create one more post this week when the vertical winglets are added. After that I will take a break. I am spending way too much time behind the screen as it is, and there are other things waiting as well. Besides, I just need a break from the CL-415 ;-)

Edit: I just completed the vertical stabelizers on the horizontal stabelizers as well. As you can see below.

I will now take a break of at least a few weeks and probably turn my attention towards improving my tooling/shed as well as finishing the CNC machine that will be necessary soon. My (not firmly) committed target is to have this model flying before the end of the year...
Last edited by rcrien; May 03, 2021 at 08:42 AM. Reason: Adding winglets (?)
May 20, 2021, 08:08 AM
Diver-driver
frantastic work !
Ive spent about half a year a few years back tinkering with Fusion360 and i just couldn`t wrap my head around getting a fuselage shape done.. guess my brain is 2D
iut will be even nicer to see the parts transforming from 3D images to cut files and then actual parts lookign forward to seeing that progress !

Quick Reply