Mar 26, 2018, 03:17 AM
Thread OP
I have been looking from some engine idea's and so far I really like the A30-12XL or 14XL from Hacker. But, at € 95 a piece... bit steep. The closest Turnigy is probably the Aerodrive 3542 which at €25 is a lot more affordable. No doubt the hacker is higher quality, but probably not worth the difference in price... ??? ...
to remove ads between posts
Mar 26, 2018, 04:27 AM
homo ludens modellisticus
Best place to ask would be the Power Systems subforum.

Vriendelijke groeten Ron
Mar 26, 2018, 06:48 AM
Thread OP
Done! link
Mar 27, 2018, 12:17 PM
Thread OP
Been trying my hand at flap design today. The old fashioned way, with pencil and eraser...

The original has slotted flaps, which is what I want for the model also.

Based on similarity with the original, I chose a hinge point 20mm below the wing, and slightly behind the ailerons hinges.

Next draw a circle segment from the top of the wing to the bottom of the wing. The radius given by the distance hinge-point to top-of-wing (45mm in this case). If this line is used for the separation between wing and flaps, and the flaps are rotated around the hinge point, then wing and flap will remain in-touch with each other.

A circle segment drawn behind the previous circle segment will cause the flap not only to rotate down, but also away from the wing. To create that circle segment I measured 10mm along the lower side of the wing from circle segment (A) backwards. That will be the point where lower wing and lower flap will separate (E). The other separation point is on top of the wing (D), and has not moved.

Next create a line between D and E, take the middle, and draw a line at 90 degrees downward. At 20 mm below the wing this creates a virtual hinge point. Using that as the centre and again create a circle segment using the previous radius. This circle segment (C) is the dividing line between flap and wing.

Next round of the corners a little and create a smooth looking flap (picture 2).

Just to see if things work as expected I scanned the design and printed it again. Cut out the flap and hinge it with a needle point. See pictures 3 and 5 for 15 degree and 45 degree angle.

Next I want to improve a little on this, I want to make the flaps a little smaller, and rounder (there still is a kind of hump on the top). But I will follow the same procedure as above.

Btw there are more pictures and descriptions on my site
Last edited by rcrien; Mar 27, 2018 at 12:22 PM.
Mar 30, 2018, 01:48 AM
Wouldn't your project by better of in the Waterplanes subforum? Specific 'wet' problems and all.

To have your thread/discussion moved, click the report button above your opening post,
and select
move this thread
select subforum

Mar 30, 2018, 03:05 AM
Thread OP
Thanks Ron, just done that.

Btw just to report this back to this thread: The motor/battery/prop combo selected is:

Turnigy Aerodrive SKE 4240-740
LiPo 4s, 5000mAh 35/50
Prop: 12x9 with 2 blades or the Ramoser 10x8 with 4 blades. The later is preferred as it has an adjustable pitch and it has a better scale look.

The engines have been ordered. Why now, when noting is even build yet? Mainly because in my experience the engine is always 'sold out' when it comes to ordering closer to the completion date. And in addition it is always good to design the engine bay around a known engine rather than leave things open for later.
Apr 20, 2018, 07:12 AM
Thread OP

Parts list

Finally finished the parts list and the mapping of parts onto purchasable items.
The parts list can be downloaded from my main site (http://starbase55.com/cl415) as can the map - though the later is probably not of much interest.

The Emeter2 has arrived. I have not tried it out yet, but a minor annoyance was the size of the charging plug. None of the "universal" adapters I have would charge it, some would fit, but not make contact, thus no charging. A good thing that it has a plug provided, but I had to rig up some contraption first before I could charge the meter.

I am now waiting for the balsa and plywood to arrive....
Jul 03, 2018, 02:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_K
I am not a native French speaker, but as Belgian I can maybe chip in...
“Coffrage” means planking.
No idea on the intrados/extrados part..

Sorry
Frank
Intrados/extrados = underside/topside

Max.
Jul 03, 2018, 05:16 PM
Help needed
www.modelbouwforum.nl/threads/canadair-cl-415-hulp-gezocht.260122

Vriendelijke groeten Ron

Jul 17, 2018, 01:03 PM
Thread OP
Probably time for an update... the balsa wood has arrived a while ago. I also finished building a new workbench.
Unfortunately work is preventing me from spending time on the build... so progress -if any- is very slow right now.

I took a look at the 3D-print project. Hmm... I wish him all the luck he needs... more planes = better, so I really hope it works out for him. Me, I like wood... that dates me... I know.
Jul 23, 2018, 11:54 AM
hi rcrien,

Could you provide a link to the aerofred plan for the Canadair CL 415?

I could only find a 3 view for the CL 415 on aerofred, while aerofred has plans for a 76" wingspan Canadair CL 215 water bomber (which was a construction article in MAN in May 1980).

This 76" span CL215 may be of interest to you as it does have flaps, water rudder, is all wood and some of its construction details would be of interest to you.
https://aerofred.com/search.php?sear...&submit=Search

Michael in Ontario, Canada
Jan 06, 2019, 01:06 PM
Thread OP
2michaely, unfortunately the plans have been removed due to copyright violation.

Seems I was lucky to snap them up when I did...

While I can understand this copyright stuff, I find it hard to stomach if neither the plans nor models can be bought. Still, it is the way it is.
Jan 06, 2019, 03:53 PM
I just want to go fly!
If possible I like to be able to touch the esc after a flight to see what’s what.
Jan 08, 2019, 10:39 PM
If you go to outerzone, and search on CL-215, you’ll find several plans. There’s the MAN CL-215, and a plan called the Micturator. The Micturator is a CL-215 appearing plane with a telemaster wing. Without a ton of work, you could probably make it look like a 415. Balsaworkbench cuts a short kit, which I have. I will be building it shortly. Based on my initial review of the parts, the cut files need some minor adjustments, but nothing Rob can’t handle. I’ll give him detailed feedback once I get it built. The short kit is for the CL-215, not the Micturator.
Jan 09, 2019, 12:34 PM
Slip the surly bonds...
There is an excellent 3 view on the Seawings website.

My 72"span 415 is short-kitted by Nexus. It's a sport scale lightweight design without retracts or flaps.

Quick Reply