This thread is privately moderated by phil alvirez, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Mar 18, 2018, 12:51 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

thermals-where?

thermals-where?
i have flown at thermals that start from the ground, and others at the base of a cloud.
from the ground, i have flown hand launched gliders (free flight) and watching for the breeze to flow and stop have been able to detect the cycle and launch at the right time.
from the base of the cloud, with r/c electric gliders.
from the ground, there is no doubt that they start at ground level and keep raising. some say as bubbles, others as cones.
and seem to increase in diameter and strength as they raise.
but those that are found at the base of a cloud seem to behave different.
sometimes the plane stays under the cloud. others, they get into-and disappear. that means they keep climbing.
and in the case of those that remain at the base of the cloud, sometimes getting a little bit lower there are no thermals. they sink.
so seems that they are created by the cloud itself and only at that level.
am posting it with the intention to hear from those with some experience on the subject.
please only comments polite, positive and to the point.
i started a thread here-lets see if some1 brings positive comments: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...thermals-where
to remove ads between posts
Jun 14, 2018, 02:48 AM
If you manage to climb to the bottom of the cloud just as that cycle is dying, then the glider will not get any heighter.
Usually small puffy clouds only last 20mins or so.
But sometimes on a more hotter unstable day...other thermal bubbles(there is usually no continious thermal from ground to cloud) will converge on the same cloud.
Sometimes even making a thunderstorm.
May 30, 2019, 05:22 PM
Thread OP
that makes sense.
great comment.
thanks

Quick Reply