Mar 17, 2018, 03:35 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

thermals-where?

i have flown at thermals that start from the ground, and others at the base of a cloud.
from the ground, i have flown hand launched gliders (free flight) and watching for the breeze to flow and stop have been able to detect the cycle and launch at the right time.
from the base of the cloud, with r/c electric gliders.
from the ground, there is no doubt that they start at ground level and keep raising. some say as bubbles, others as cones.
and seem to increase in diameter and strength as they raise.
but those that are found at the base of a cloud seem to behave different.
sometimes the plane stays under the cloud. others, they get into-and disappear. that means they keep climbing.
and in the case of those that remain at the base of the cloud, sometimes getting a little bit lower there are no thermals. they sink.
so seems that they are created by the cloud itself and only at that level.
am posting it with the intention to hear from those with some experience on the subject.
please only comments polite, positive and to the point.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 18, 2018, 03:52 AM
Per aspera ad astra

cloud life cycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil alvirez View Post
but those that are found at the base of a cloud seem to behave different.
sometimes the plane stays under the cloud. others, they get into-and disappear. that means they keep climbing.
and in the case of those that remain at the base of the cloud, sometimes getting a little bit lower there are no thermals. they sink.
so seems that they are created by the cloud itself and only at that level.
What you have experienced is IMO the result of different stages in a cloud life cycle.

Quote:
...sometimes getting a little bit lower there are no thermals. they sink.
This is IMO the "end of life" stage of a cloud (dissipating cloud). The cloud is not longer growing, cause nothing feeds the growing (aka warm rising air).

There is a lot of literature from the full scale soaring guys around, but iīve only the ones in german as a link.
eg in english: . https://www.aviationweather.ws/095_Thermal_Soaring.php

/Bernd
Mar 18, 2018, 08:20 AM
Thread OP

great input

thank you very much for your participation and comments.
besides, the link is a great source. thanks again.
i would like to explore this with you so will bring more details on my experience on thermalling under and in clouds.
keep posted.
Mar 18, 2018, 08:30 AM
ƃuıʇɐǝʞ ʇʇoɔs
The FAA glider handbook has lots of info. Applicable information starts around page 9-6.
Last edited by vulturetec; Mar 18, 2018 at 09:51 AM.
Mar 18, 2018, 09:07 AM
Thread OP

no-go

link says:

This site can’t be reached
faa.gov’s server IP address could not be found.
DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN

please send it again.
Mar 18, 2018, 09:49 AM
Quote:
link says:

This site canít be reached
faa.govís server IP address could not be found.
DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN

please send it again.

Maybe this;
https://www.faa.gov/regulations_poli...h-8083-13a.pdf
Mar 18, 2018, 09:52 AM
ƃuıʇɐǝʞ ʇʇoɔs
Fixed the link. I left out the www
Latest blog entry: Sagitta 600 build 2018
Mar 18, 2018, 11:45 AM
Thread OP

works!

thank you both. now i can see.
very complete and detailed data.
great to see that there is interest on the issue.
will bring details on my experience. need input on my particular situations.
so much to learn, and with you guys it seems that will be an enlightening exchange of ideas and data.
Mar 24, 2018, 12:06 AM
The Mr. Rogers of RC soaring
Quote:
You are flying gliders into clouds?

Ryan
Latest blog entry: Supergee wing mount pylons
Jun 19, 2018, 07:02 AM
Thread OP

positive

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdwoebke View Post
You are flying gliders into clouds?

Ryan
i said: am posting it with the intention to hear from those with some experience on the subject.
Jun 19, 2018, 07:08 AM
Quote:
i said: am posting it with the intention to hear from those with some experience on the subject.
Iím positive that flying into clouds unless you are flying IFR is a bad idea.

Ryan
Jun 19, 2018, 07:45 AM
Thread OP

please read

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdwoebke View Post
I’m positive that flying into clouds unless you are flying IFR is a bad idea.

Ryan
i never said so. please read what i said at the 1st post:

"sometimes the plane stays under the cloud. others, they get into-and disappear. that means they keep climbing."

they get into. not that i fly them into. they keep climbing because are into a thermal. i do nothing.
so please dont post if you are not bringing any experience with the subject of the thread: thermals: where?
Jun 19, 2018, 08:55 AM
Quote:
they get into. not that i fly them into. they keep climbing because are into a thermal. i do nothing.
I don't really see the distinction between "fly into" and "get into" when it comes to RC gliders. Also how do you know they keep climbing? You have gotten gliders into coulds multiple times?

Quote:
so please dont post if you are not bringing any experience with the subject of the thread: thermals: where?
You started this thread on March 17. You have received 2 replies where other folks posted a fairly small amount of info (one with 3 short paragraphs one was just a link). And then after that a few posts trying to correct a URL. On March 23 I asked you a question about a statement you made in your initial post. Then almost 3 months went by with no further posting in this thread until today where you are admonishing me for asking the question.

Ryan
Jun 19, 2018, 09:09 AM
Hey Phil

Your Buddy whacker in NS...

I'll be by shortly and we can get this figured out, it's not something you'll ever figure out with GOOGLE.

whacker

PS
If you close this and ask all questions at the field of your fellow fliers we can better understand and you will get a chance to answer some Questions as well
Jun 19, 2018, 09:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by whacker View Post
If you close this and ask all questions at the field of your fellow fliers we can better understand and you will get a chance to answer some Questions as well
I'm still confused as to what the question even was/is in the first place.

Ryan

Quick Reply