This thread is privately moderated by D7_Mark, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Mar 17, 2018, 07:57 AM
Trader Rating: 5
Thread OP
Sold

WRAM swap meet 2018

Swap meet March 31st 2018
to remove ads between posts
Mar 31, 2018, 05:20 PM
Trader Rating: 42
The Mad Titan
I got to the show about 3:15, a bunch of guys were outside, very few cars, and they told me the show was closed already and the doors were locked. So much for being open until 4:00pm. I guess this explains why they finally had to stop running the WRAM show, crap business acumen.
Mar 31, 2018, 07:36 PM
Trader Rating: 169
Build a scale plane already!!!
LOL,, you expect everyone to wait around for you even though the selling is over?
Mar 31, 2018, 07:41 PM
Trader Rating: 338
Every Juan Loves Tacos!
Mar 31, 2018, 08:21 PM
The Mad Titan
Quote:
Originally Posted by scale_only
LOL,, you expect everyone to wait around for you even though the selling is over?
If something is advertised as being open between a certain number of hours, then yes, they SHOULD be open regardless of what's going on. Even if it's simply members of the club welcoming you and trying to "sell" you on their club, ANYTHING is more acceptable than showing up to locked doors.

If they're going to close whenever they want, then advertise as opening at 10:00, closing when the selling is done. Of course, then no one will bother showing up.
Apr 01, 2018, 06:51 AM
Trader Rating: 324
-insert witty saying here-
Unfortunately, swap meet hours are dictated more by the attendees and vendors than those hosting the event. If people stop coming through the door, the vendors start to pack up. If the vendors pack up and leave, the show is over. The first year we ran our swap, we had it listed as 9:00 ~ 2:30. It was a ghost town at 1:00 and vendors were starting to clear out. We dropped it back to 1:30 the next year and that seems to work out well.
Apr 01, 2018, 07:26 AM
Trader Rating: 438
Don't cut the Yellow Wire
I was there at 8:30 and had to park at the acme supermarket which is 2 blocks away, by 1130 the deals were thinned out and then its a waiting game for the wallflowers as to who gets the last dance..... Deals were plenty and I still haven't unloaded my car!!!! The lesson of the day is to be there early ....

There is one in CT. next weekend and its way bigger and Ive scored some nice things there in the past..

But remember to come early... The difference between a good bar and a bad bar is one woman!!!!!
Apr 01, 2018, 08:18 AM
Trader Rating: 355
All the good stuff was gone anyway so Where's the beef?
Apr 01, 2018, 08:32 AM
Thread OP
It was a swap meet not a show. At a show you would be open until the posted time. If you showed up at 3:15 and purchased a ticket and it was shutting down and sellers were already packed you still wouldn’t be happy. The SWAP MEET is busy with sellers and buyers at the opening gates, just like a garage sale. DC1138 sounds upset because he missed out on a good thing. Sorry you missed the deals and an enjoyable day maybe next time you can make it earlier. And quick shout out to all those that did participate, as it was a good day. Thanks for being there.
Apr 01, 2018, 08:41 AM
The Mad Titan
Swing it however you want, flyer says open till 4pm, should have been SOMEONE there until 4pm, regardless. Poor business acumen, explains why WRAM had to give up their show, explains why their club has the reputation it does.
Apr 01, 2018, 08:44 AM
The Mad Titan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemikiller
Unfortunately, swap meet hours are dictated more by the attendees and vendors than those hosting the event. If people stop coming through the door, the vendors start to pack up. If the vendors pack up and leave, the show is over. The first year we ran our swap, we had it listed as 9:00 ~ 2:30. It was a ghost town at 1:00 and vendors were starting to clear out. We dropped it back to 1:30 the next year and that seems to work out well.
Then one of two things should happen;

1) Flyer says; Opens at 10:00, open until everyone decides to leave

2) Vendors are told they need to stay until 4:00pm, because I know that people didn't leave with ZERO left on their tables.

For $5, if I walk in and there's "nothing" there, that's on me for coming later in the day. The 40 minute drive and gas wasted because of poor business acumen is more the issue, and that's because of misleading advertising.
Apr 01, 2018, 09:12 AM
Thread OP
If you walked in and were charged 5$ for nothing you would be complaining that you got ripped off. Sorry you got there late and missed a good thing maybe next time things will work out better.
Last edited by D7_Mark; Apr 01, 2018 at 09:15 AM. Reason: Tired of the whining
Apr 01, 2018, 10:22 AM
The Mad Titan
Quote:
Originally Posted by D7_Mark
If you walked in and were charged 5$ for nothing you would be complaining that you got ripped off. Sorry you got there late and missed a good thing maybe next time things will work out better.

$5 is irrelevant. It's the time spent going to something which isn't open when it was ADVERTISED to be open until. No product left? I got there too late, my fault. Nothing but junk left? I got there too late, my fault. Doors LOCKED? No one running the show present?? Bad business acumen.

So answer me this; why have a closing time listed if it's not going to be adhered to? Why not say it's open until 6:00 pm, or 10:00 pm? It doesn't matter apparently, you're going to close whenever you feel like it. So why have a closing time listed on the flyer? Why advertise a closing time?
Apr 01, 2018, 11:02 AM
Trader Rating: 178
Friend of Foam
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC1138
If something is advertised as being open between a certain number of hours, then yes, they SHOULD be open regardless of what's going on. Even if it's simply members of the club welcoming you and trying to "sell" you on their club, ANYTHING is more acceptable than showing up to locked doors.

If they're going to close whenever they want, then advertise as opening at 10:00, closing when the selling is done. Of course, then no one will bother showing up.
Not likely. Anyone who has ever attended a Swap meet knows the deals are available as the doors open, and thin out quickly.
Latest blog entry: Gallery
Apr 01, 2018, 11:07 AM
Trader Rating: 169
Build a scale plane already!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogosi
Not likely. Anyone who has ever attended a Swap meet knows the deals are available as the doors open, and thin out quickly.
And that's why I don't normally go to these things,, some guys live for that feeding frenzy, personally I can't stand it.

Quick Reply