Jul 21, 2019, 12:08 PM

sonythan

And BTW what EDF motor that you use? I cannot find edf motor with 28 mm diameter and 19 mm mounting pattern
to remove ads between posts
Jul 21, 2019, 03:33 PM
Site Aspie
Thread OP
The flap servo is mounted from the underside of the wing, similar to the aileron servos.

This 2600 kv motor will work in the fan: https://www.ebay.com/itm/QX-MOTOR-70...r/282633606428
Jul 24, 2019, 07:19 AM
i'm back. Had to seek a new spot after i found out my initial spot was in a no-fly zone.

I have started printing the melusine, can't wait to try it out!
Jul 29, 2019, 05:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynxman
I've downloaded your files. Is there a drawing that shows the principal dimensions and how the various pieces are assembled? I was hoping not to have to digitally assemble all the parts just to figure it out.
Aug 16, 2019, 12:53 PM
Site Aspie
Thread OP
The assembly is obvious when you have the parts. I can try making an illustration of some kind to show the different variations.

I maidened a new Melusine today. I made it will all bird parts and an EDF. It flew great. I painted faux feathers on the top of the wings and tail.

I shortened the tail boom tubes by 10 cm on this so that I could reuse the one from the old Melusine that A crashed.
Aug 16, 2019, 01:49 PM
Site Aspie
Thread OP
Here's a video of my flights today. The Melusine flight starts at 5:41, after my EL-39:
Afternoon at Senja MFK (17 min 47 sec)
Aug 17, 2019, 09:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynxman
The assembly is obvious when you have the parts. I can try making an illustration of some kind to show the different variations.
Thanks. I've been able to get what I need from photos and overall dimensions. I'm not actually printing a Melusine as designed. I'm using it as a guide to designing a somewhat different plane. It won't be 100% printed, but it will have similar proportions and an inverted V tail on twin booms. Instead of printing the whole thing, I'm printing the leading edge, main spar, and an aft spar. 3D printed ribs will be at the ends of the wing panels and the boom supports are 3D printed. The main spar has rebates top and bottom for 5 mm flat carbon strip spar caps and a hole down the middle for a 7 mm carbon arrow shaft as a joiner or beefier spar. It also has triangular fore-aft holes that turn it into a truss for reduced weight. The airfoil is like a Jedelsky section, with a flat bottomed structural half and a sheet balsa trailing half. The aft spar is the attachment for the trailing sheet. In between the spars will be foam, and the entire structural half will be wrapped with brown masking paper and Titebond II (water-based aliphatic) glue. The final finish will be 1.5 mil laminating film ironed on.

The tail will have 3D printed attachments to the carbon tube booms and for the curved apex panel that joins the straight panels. The tail surfaces themselves will be foam with (perhaps) 3 mm flat carbon spar caps, overwrapped with tissue and Titebond II, plus 1.5 mil laminating film. The tail attachments will incorporate two captive nuts and nylon bolts that will allow adjustment of the incidence of the tail for trimming.

Assembly is pretty straightforward and done flat on the bench. Print the parts, glue together the bones, drop in the foam blocks, shape the foam. Then apply the paper wrap, glue on the trailing edge sheet, final sanding, and iron on the film. Done. The foam portions have gentle curves on top that should be easily shaped with either a hot wire or by sanding. Despite PLA's notorious reputation with regard to temperature, I am going to experiment with using the printed end ribs themselves as hot wire templates by wrapping them with aluminum tape. All the printed parts have tabs and matching holes to align them in assembly and strengthen the joints.

I believe this approach takes advantage of the best features of each material for a wing that is easy to build, light, and accurately shaped. 3D printed parts are used where the shape needs to be precise and accurate, like the leading edge and joiner receptacles, while not adding a lot of weight from the plastic. The other materials provide more stiffness and are lighter than printed parts.
Aug 19, 2019, 08:03 AM
Aug 20, 2019, 10:50 AM
Site Aspie
Thread OP
I removed a lot of old files and renamed some of the new ones to make them the only version avvailable to reduce confusion. Let moe know if something is missing and I will upload.
https://cults3d.com/en/3d-model/vari...d-fpv-platform
Aug 24, 2019, 01:49 AM
Glad how come you managed to do all of it.
Sep 01, 2019, 12:01 PM
Site Aspie
Thread OP
After the maiden the little old Starmax motor in the ;elusine was hot enough to soften the motor mount and sag, so I had to print a new fain housing. I also made a fan that presses onto the back of the motor and after the flight last night it was barely warm. Success. I flew with the 16 blade fan and it sounded pretty good.

The glider bit starts at 05:34. I accidentally snag some weeds with the wing on alnding, but nothing was damaged:
Evening flying at a local small rc field (23 min 53 sec)
Last edited by Lynxman; Sep 01, 2019 at 12:39 PM.
Mar 03, 2020, 05:48 PM
Site Aspie
Thread OP
I cleaned up the Cults page now with clearer instructions and consolidated everything by removing the edits:
https://cults3d.com/en/3d-model/vari...d-fpv-platform
Jun 09, 2021, 12:44 PM
Site Aspie
Thread OP
First flight of 2021:
Melusine - First Flight Of 2021 - 3D Printed EDF Glider (6 min 35 sec)
Jun 09, 2021, 01:44 PM
Interesting runway. I couldn't figure out what the markings were for, and then I realized you probably got the artificial grass from a sports field that was being refurbished, so the markings were just what was on the grass pieces when they were removed from the sports field.
Jun 09, 2021, 06:07 PM
Site Aspie
Thread OP
Yes they came from a football field. I don't think any clubs can afford new fake grass. We're happy with what we can get.

Quick Reply