Dec 01, 2004, 11:07 AM

Jetset44's parkjets as edf's

After digging in the two parkjet threads for way too long looking for sucessful edf setups i didnt find much. so i thought i would start a thread for those of us who will be flying these as edf's.

here is what my setup will be. park f-18. alfa second generation 300 fan. electrifly ammo 5100kv motor. 3s 2480 apogee cells. i hope to have this setup flying within the next week. anyone else?
to remove ads between posts
Dec 01, 2004, 11:16 AM
It's like an addiction!
kevin, I know for a fact that 2 friends of mine tried both the F-18 and the F-15 with Vasa 55 fans without success. They both reverted to BL pushers and man do they fly well like that.
Chris
Dec 01, 2004, 11:41 AM
I mentioned this before in one of the other threads about the F-18: Take a look at the Kevin Cox F-18 design, which the popular Het F-18 ARF that warbirds rc sells is based on. Look at it from the side. Where the intakes start, the fuselage is deeper than the forward fuselage. The intakes stick down about 1/2" or so below the level of the forward fuselage. This makes for a deeper fuselage in which the Wemotec Minifan 480 can fit, and it makes the intakes larger. The more air you can move the better. I'm not sure of the size comparison between the two F-18s but it seems they are roughly the same size. It wouldn't be too hard to modify the foamy F-18 to fit a larger fan. Basically you make the rear box fuselage deeper.

Smaller fans might work if you give them enough power. I don't recall how much power those guys who tried the edfs were using but I guess it wasn't enough. Also they may have been short on intake area. 100 watts per pound on a prop plane is a great power level, but go with that on and edf an you'll have marginal performance. 150 watts/pound is much better. EDFs just aren't as efficient but you've got the cool factor so that's why we do it!

Can someone post a link to the posts of the EDF conversions? I don't recall what thread it was in or how many threads there were...maybe the guys who tried could repost their info?

How long is the standard size foamy pusher F-18?
Last edited by Ed Waldrep; Dec 01, 2004 at 11:50 AM.
Dec 01, 2004, 11:41 AM
Giddy up!
I'm having too much fun building the pushers to spend time working on an edf version but I do want to and will at some point. I've thought about this long and hard and I think the smaller edf's like the Microfan, Vasa, and GWS won't cut it. I believe the AUW will suffer but a MF480 will be needed with something like a Mega 2,3, or even 4 turn. Ducting will be another necessity. These designs fly so nicely and I feel a little more weight shouldn't hurt their performance.
Dec 01, 2004, 11:54 AM
i am trying this setup because it will be somewhat light and will fit in a stock parkjet without modification. minifan would need more intake and deeper fuse. my alfa mig is very quick on a similar setup. i dont expect it to be as fast but i do think i can get it to fly. we will see

i will be running at about 200 watts. 40 more watts than my current pusher setup. if it doesnt work it too will be a pusher.
Dec 01, 2004, 12:04 PM
The main point I was trying to make was if you are limited to a certain sized fan due to space contstraints, you can make more room by lowering the bottom of the aft fuselage. You don't necessarily have to put in a MF480, that might be too big, just and example.

For example if you only have room for the 55mm (I think that's right) Alfa fan, drop the lower aft fuselage floor 10 to 20 mm and you could put in a Wattage fan. That might require a different motor but it would throw more air and increase intake area.

Another thing instead of lowering would be to increase the fuselage width at the intakes so they are larger. The do sort of stick out on the full size F-18. The increased inlet area with help with static thrust as well.
Dec 01, 2004, 12:11 PM
I built a foam Raptor around a Alfa fan & Mpjet 25/25-26 Mk2 motor. It is flying well. Maximum thrust is about 240g at 110W input.

The most important rules:
- keep it light, below 350g
- big intakes, smooth airflow

My raptor is flying well, keeps the altitude at 60% throttle, loopings from level flight etc. but not a fast Jet at all.

I like something much more powerful. Just playing with a Vasa 65 & Mega 16/15/2. It is much stronger, about 500W input and 750g thrust. It requires bigger, more heavy LiPos. I am not sure the normal (foam with spars) foam technology is strong enough for the speed I need. Thinking about balsa covered foam wings, balsa elevons and glassed fuselage for this power system.
Last edited by mmormota; Dec 01, 2004 at 12:15 PM.
Dec 01, 2004, 12:19 PM
you could try a himaxx 2025-5300 in your fan, that will get you up to 200 watts. much better speed than the mpjet. but you will need batteries that can handle 20 amps.
Dec 01, 2004, 02:17 PM
In the Wemotec Microfan (50mm diameter) I'm running the above mentioned Himaxx 2025-5300 on 3S 2100 Thunder Power lipos. It pulls about 22 amps or so at the start, maybe more. In the Ultrafly Hawk that I converted, it pulls 235 watts HOC. It's pretty fast maybe 60 mph, loops from level flight without a dive and I can just barely get a vertical roll out of it. There's just not a whole lot of thrust there but I am a bit limited in intake area.
Dec 01, 2004, 02:53 PM
This should be very intresting to watch! Personally I'd like to go with a minfan and mega combo, something around 400 watts.
Dec 01, 2004, 03:14 PM
go fly! no crashes!
i think the Alpha Gen2 fan would work in this. with a Himaxx 2025/5200 i believe i got around 240watts out of it. before i killed the Mig. this was off of a single tanic 1550 3s pack.

i'm going to get another of these fan and possibly try it in the parkie F18. will definitely need to extend the intakes a bit, round off the lips, and add in exhaust duct once i find the cone layout program...
Dec 01, 2004, 03:16 PM
Park Jet Guru
Great thread idea, Kevin! I've been keenly watching to see who would figure out the best EDF setup for the Park Jets but haven't seen anything really good yet. Since both the F-15 and F-18 accommodate twin 55mm fans so well, I've been thinking that a very promising setup could be two GWS EDF-55 fans with Himax BL motors (there's a company somewhere that sells these ready to go--can't remember where). That would provide plenty of thrust, but the weight of the second motor and the large battery required to handle the 20+ amp current draw would drive the AUW up into the 22-24 oz range. It wouldn't be a parkflyer at that weight but would probably still be a good-flying larger-field model.

Steve
Dec 01, 2004, 03:30 PM
"i think the Alpha Gen2 fan would work in this."

i hope so. it seems to be the best option for this size. no too small, not too heavy, and not too expensive. we shall see.
Dec 01, 2004, 03:55 PM
go fly! no crashes!
i dunno about the not too expensive part. heh. i think i've gotten a minifan for about the same price. but the alpha fan is very light, which is what i think we'll need for this endeavor.
Dec 01, 2004, 04:16 PM
downwind3zero,

are your friends using direct drive on the pusher's? if so what motor and prop, batt, ESC?

Quick Reply