This thread is privately moderated by steve mahoney, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Mar 16, 2018, 05:23 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Whangarei NZ, refinery/rescue tug: Parahaki

This next tug is also 1/50 and also from New Zealand. I enjoy finding NZ boats to build and have discovered plenty of interesting subjects, all with a little bit of unique character. This one was the first tug of a 1960s fleet built to service the then new oil refinery in northern NZ. Parahaki and a twin sister ship Haumanga were designed to handle large tankers and for any open sea rescue work. After many years service in Whangarei both tugs moved up to the Cook Islands in the late 80s and are now stationed in the Marshall Islands.

Parahaki is not exactly attractive or even classic looking some might say ugly but it does look powerful and business like.

The build was standard plank on frame/plywood superstructure and went surprisingly smoothly apart from a hiccup with the railings due to me not being able to tell the difference between 2 and 3. But that's another story.

A full build log is on this forum and at: http://modeltugforum.com/index.php?topic=6333.0
Last edited by steve mahoney; Mar 25, 2018 at 04:55 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 26, 2019, 10:45 PM
Lot of water; some gets thin
Hi Steve,
I have not explored all the threads you started but wonder if you’ve done an RC version. Your builds are high quality for sure. Once you see a boat you’ve built come alive you are hooked.

Best...Bill

Quick Reply